Maternal & Child Community
Determining the sex - how accurate at 12 weeks?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hello Everyone,

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this.  I went for an ultrasound today to do the nuchal translucency test, and since the baby was not cooperating, I had to move around a lot.  The ultrasound tech was able to see every possible angle of the baby, including a shot of the butt and the legs straight up.  Right between the legs we were able to see a penis. She said she is almost sure it is a boy.  I saw the same thing she saw, and thought she was definitley correct.  However, when I spoke with the high risk doctor he said that it is unreliable at such an early age, even though she had a revealing shot.  I think he was just angry with his ultrasound tech b/c I did not want to know the sex, and she ruined it for me.  How accurate do you think this is???  Thanks everyone!
I had a u/s at what I thought was 14 or 15 weeks and the baby was measuring a week and a hlaf bigger and she said she wouldnt tell us becase she said it wasnt very accurate, but they again if something is there it is there where as my lady said it could be possible she could be wrong at that time becasue the testicals may not have dropped yet. So if I were you I would probably hold off painting any rooms until your 20 week u/s but congrats!
I don't think you can determine the gender with an U/S at least until 18-20 weeks.
Gender can be determined at 14 weeks but 12 seems kind of early.
I think it's really too early to tell accurately. Did she ask you before she opened her mouth?
a boy is easier to determine than a girl and it is very possible that you saw a little penis.
usually the sex can't be determined at 12 wks, with that said with my first baby they were able to tell me that it was a boy at 11wks, 6days pg.  best of luck!
I found out at 12 weeks with my 2 year old. If they got a clear shot and ran a blood flow test to ensure it wasn't the cord, it may be right on the money. Now had they said girl this ealry, I would be more doubtful.

Andi
just by the way girls, the falopean tubes develope very early, and that is how they can tell it is a girl early on, not by the lack of man package.  Congrats on your little boy!!!!:)
Thanks so much to everyone for all of their comments.  To answer your question, no, she didn't ask before she opened her mouth.  I was quite upset, because I had always dreamed of being surprised.  I will get over it though, b/c it is really a blessing to have a happy, healthy baby!
Honestly, I was about 11 weeks when I went to the Hospital and had a radiologist and student look at my baby and both were convinced it was a (turtle ) boy.
NOPE, it's definately a girl!! It can still be a surprise :)
Did they use doppler to check for blood flow in the presumed penis?  As Andi mentioned, if they didn't check this, you may have been looking at the umbilical cord (which would show blood flow) rather than the penis (which would not show blood flow). Congrats regardless!!
No, they didn't check for blood flow.  I didn't even know they could do that (especially at 12 weeks - btw - I am exactly 12 weeks today).  However, what we saw between the legs was definitely shorter than both legs, exactly the size one might expect for a little penis.  If it was the umbilical cord, whouldn't it have looked long?
Sometimes the umbilical cord looks kind of knobby, and by the angle can look like it stops rather than keeps going to connect to you.
I was in for an ultrasound last week at 12 weeks 6 days and I had an ultrasound tech and the high risk doctor in the room. The doctor moved the ultrasound around quite a bit and he saw something between the babies legs, it was sticking out a little and he said to determine sex this thing sticking out points one way for a girl and one way for a boy. it was pointing up and he said in thoeryu that it was a girl. But that to be sure we would need to look in 4 weeks. I will not tell anyone because it is opnly a theory. I still don't know because it could go either way. I would not bet on it being a boy just yet!!!!
Just to let you know I had an u/s around that time and we saw what we thought was penis. 7 weeks later we found out we were having a little girl. So I don't think I would rely on that. Good luck to you!!!
When they say it's a boy they're not saying that because they see a penis, they say that because they see the testicles.  When they say it's a girl they're not saying that due to a lack of the penis, they're saying that because they see 3 dots (clitoris and the labia) and the tubes.  
I had my nuchal test done at 13 weeks and I was told it was a probably a girl (about 80%).
It turns out that it is indeed a girl (confirmed with amnio).  I wouldn't go shopping just yet but at your next visit they should be able to give you a definite.
Congrats.
I think 12 weeks is too early to tell the sex I had a m/c at 12 weeks and passed a wee baby that had only just died the midwife looked at the baby and said I think it may have been a boy but was not sure it had a wee bud between the legs but was too little to be sure and that was seeing it close up the best time for an accurate reading is at 18-20 weeks I've just found out i'm having another girl so I will have 2 girls and will always wonda if my m/c was a boy good luck for the rest of your pregnancy.
I wouldn't count your chickens just yet.  At 12 weeks the genitals are still developing and there's just a little bud there.  It could be either.  I had a high risk ultrasound with my second and they told me they thought SHE was a boy.  We got lots of yellow and green, and sure enough, GIRL.  Don't go by early ultrasounds.  Wait and be sure at 18 to 20 weeks when the genitals are fully developed.
It also depends on how advanced the sono machine is and how experienced the technician is.  I know at least 4 people who were told the correct sex at the nuchal testing appt.  
Of course, it's never 100% unless you count the chromosomes.
I was lucky to have only level II's at all my u/s and I had a tech that in all of her years had only been wrong once. She herself said she would never tell someone unless she was 100% sure. Again, without the blood flow test, I would hold off. And as far as the nub thing, the images of my 2 year olds boy parts were very clear and I must admit, impressive for being 12 weeks.

Andi
So, your boys have impressive nubs? :) Your dh must be so proud!!

with this little one i had an u/s at around 16wks.  my dh and i were sure we saw a penis, but the tech wouldn't say for sure because she told us it was too early to be 100% sure, and she didn't want to be wrong especially because i wanted a little girl so bad.  well, went back for a 20wk u/s and lo and behold, i will have my little girl.  i guess it's a good thing the tech didn't say anything.  i'm grateful to have a healthy baby, but a healthy baby girl was an added incentive.  i hope you all have a good day.
I asked my doctor about this and she said there is a huge error rate before 18 weeks that is why she insisted I be 20 weeks for my next u/s which is mid August.
Had impressive nubs,lol. Once that fat pad forms they shrink in appearance. Had they stayed that long, my dh would have asked for a paternity test,lol!!!

Andi
Thirteen years ago when I was 19 I was expecting my first, after an u/s i was asked if I wanted to know.
I said yes and I was told that it was a boy, I asked if she was sure and she said yes.
I went out and bought everything blue, when I had my baby It was a girl.
I was very angry at the time as I felt I was misled and my poor daughter was stuck wearing blue for a while.
But I soon enough forgot all that.

at 11 weeks the u/s tech asked did I want to know the sex? I said yes, she said I have seen this 3 times (pointing at a spot) during this u/s, she said it looks like a boy, by the way it was a transvaginal u/s which is the best way to tell at such a young age,,,,but she was wrong, it was a little girl, they really cant tell until about 20 weeks, if this helps...........Good luck!
Stormy, thank you very much for your response.  Quick question for you....was the thing the U/S tech pointed to a VERY obvious looking "thing" right between the baby's legs, or something else which was less obvious?  Thanks.
I also had a transvaginal u/s at 11 weeks 1 day that I was told by my doctor that I was having a boy.  She even said that she would put money on it.   Nothing was measured. She just saw something between the legs, as we all did, and said she thinks it's a boy.  I still feel it is very early and will not buy anything  yet.
I had the first screen test today to check for Down syndrome and trisomy 18.  Before I went in for the ultrasound,  I asked the genetic counselor if the sex can be determined and she said "the tech likes to guess, but this early on they can't be sure as development is still happening" she also said to "take what the tech says with with a grain of salt."  The tech guessed a boy.  We were so surprised that she even saw anything as we never really saw the bottom part of the baby on the screen.  All we saw was the head and the movement of feet and hands.  We're doing to the 4D ultrasound at 16 weeks next.  I can't wait.  I need to know for sure.  

One of my friends was told at 12 weeks she was having a girl and she did and another friend was told at 12 weeks she was having a boy and she had a girl. So it's 50/50 - it's just a guess at this point, in my opinion.  My friend sent me this website: ***.***.  I found it interesting.

I will post back after my 16 week 4D ultrasound...
I am 12 weeks and 4 days.  I had my first trimester screening ultrasound today.  The tech pointed at a little white dot which I am still not sure what it was.  She said if she had to guess, she would say a boy because of this dot.  I wouldn't mind a girl since we got three boys already but a healthy baby is what I pray for.  The heart rate was also 160 and my friend said it's a boy.  But I do have another friend who just had a little girl and her heart rate was 153.
I found out at 18 weeks- they said it was a girl- and it was. I am currently 19 weeks preg. with my second and waiting for the ultrasound but I had one done at 13 weeks, said she thought she saw little boy parts but couldn't be sure... so we'll find out in the next week or two if it is.
This will probably relieve your anxiety.

http://www.baby2see.com/gender/external_genitals.html

I just had my 12 week NT scan, the tech said it was most likely a girl! Could she have been wrong? I have 3 girls already. What is the % that she could be correct or incorrect.
Shortie77 - I am interested in knowing what your result was because we have the same story.  My US tech at 12 weeks and 4 days pointed to a white dot and said it looked like it could be a boy. I thought it definitely looked like a boy!  

However, with the link posted by "anonymous500"- I am more unsure now.

I don't go back for my 20 week until June 8th- but I already named my little man because I really do believe with timing of ovulation and conception- we really didn't give the girl sperm a chance :(  Of course, healthy is the MOST important- but I would like my daughter to have a healthy sister..
I realize it has been a very long time since people have been at this particuloar post- but either way - anonymous500- thank you for that link!  
Hi stormy1373...I was just reading your comment and I too had a transvaginal ultrasound at 12 weeks and they said they think I am having a girl....and our gender ultrasound is not until two weeks from now...how accurate do you think they were...please email me..  ***@**** thanks.
so im 12 weeks today. i go to the obgyn on the 2nd of april, ill be about 13 weeks and 1 day. can i find out the sex?! i'm anxious to know~
i did my u/s the week of 19 and 2 days, the u/s tech told me that it is a boy 100%, but i still have a doubt because, i checed online that if you carrying boy, you should have low belly and baby movement on the top part, not unter the belly.  but i didnt gain wait, like when you are carrying girl you will change your body, and see the different, but i am still same but small belly, it is pointing front, not all over the stomach,  i still have doubt, i try to ask my specilist she wont tell, she said, baby health is important, gender is not important, i am still confusing, keep thinking, get depressseed, no one understand the feel, my bad time, still confusing after did my second ultersound.
I realize this post is pretty old but I was told around 12/13 weeks that we were having a girl and indeed, a girl it was! Our Ultrasound tech told us not to "go painting any rooms yet" as this was just a guess. As we were checking out the other girls at the front desk asked us and then told us that our tech is right about 95% of the time at this stage. Apparently she's been an ultrasound tech for years, works in one of the busiest offices (she's the tech for 5 different doctors) and really knows her stuff. I think a lot has to depend on the experience of your tech.. they still can be wrong but the chances are slimmer. We just found out I'm pregnant with our second.. only about 6 weeks along but can't wait to find out boy or girl!