Maternal & Child Community
Diagnosed with a Bicornuate (heart shaped) uterus after 2 m/c

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi -

I'm 28 years old.  Just diagnosed with a bicornuate uterus.  I had 2 miscarriages withint the last year.

I got the x-ray test with the dye - and it is official.

Anyway - my doctor is sending me to a specialist to see if surgery is an option.

I've read that it's either surgery, or trying again and hoping that I have a healthy pregnancy in the end.

My question is, what is the best option?  How do I know what is right?  What are the risks?
These are all wonderful questions to ask your specialist
things like What is the procedure, what is the risks, the pros and cons of it all, recovery time, can you have children,  etc..etc... Make a list and take it with you to make sure you get your answers your looking for
JennyT,

I too am 28 and I too have a bicornuate uterus.  I have a complete bicornuate so it is almost divided in two.  I had the dye test this past January too.  Yes we have a greater risk of miscarriage, pre-term labor, and breech birth.  

I got pregnant with my first child when I was 24, I didn't know I had a bicornuate uterus until they delivered him by c-section.  A relatively small (6 1/2 lbs) but otherwise healthy boy.  Once you have carried a baby to full term your chances of miscarriage decrease and your chances of carrying full term increase.

I am 7 weeks pregnant with my second child so I understand your fears, but don't give up it is VERY possible to have a baby!

Best wishes and luck.....

Carlye
Oops I forgot to add......

My doctors never suggested surgery, usually that is only suggested if you have two entirely separate uterus', cervix's, and vagina's.  

They did mention that it is a high risk pregnancy and you need early monitoring and frequent pre-natal care.

It doesn't hurt to ask for a second opinion either!
Thank you for so many encouraging stories!
Can anyone give me some advice/guidance?
I can really use some at this point!!!!!!
I also have a bi-cornuate uterus, and have had several miscarriages.
I didn't even know I was pregnant with them until I saw what "left my body".
I have not had any medical assistance for 4 years, only natural Kinesiology.
Previous doctors never diagnosed me with this, and just said I I endometriosis and could not get pregnant although they could not find a reason why.
I was told to have a hysterectomy after my last laparoscopy 4 years ago, but I saw a Kinesiologist before I had that done, and was cured of all my extreme pain and endo with one session. (So I still have my uterus intact, and still enjoy the lasting results of the Kinesiology).
I was diagnosed more than 10 years ago with a double-uterus, but I didn't know what this meant, received no other information, and none of the endo-tests ever picked this up. Through Knisesiology I now know that this is true and I know that I can get pregnant., because I have had the miscarriages.
I wanted traditional medical support again for this pregnancy so I can do all the right things for it to be successful (now at about 10 weeks), but the urine test my doctor gave me was negative... I expected this because the home-test I did also was.... My doctor found it strange that I still get my period, as well, and treated me as if I was a little nuts. She sent me for a blood test, and I am awaiting the results over the weekend.
It sounds like a lot of you know more than my doctor about this condition, and have had plenty of experience with it.
Do anyone know which tests do show accurate results?
I am so confused and I worry that traditional medical persons will make more mistakes with me because I'm not a stock-standard case for them.
Can anyone give me some advice and/or suggestions?
I have been feeling so alone with this, so I am desperately looking for some support right now, and on the net is the only place I have come close to finding any - particularly your comments on "babycentre.co.uk".....
I am so afraid of another miscarriage and of getting the wrong advice again from "naive doctors that are in too much of a hurry for odd cases"....I feel like I'm going totally crazy and I really don't know where to turn.... so I'm turning to you.....
(Please excuse my erratic way of writing, but I didn't know where to start with my story, and I am sooo stressed right now!)
Thank you for your detailed stories.....
Can anyone assist me in any way?
Love,
Doll
My previous Ob dr. diagnosed me with a bicornate uterus.  But he also said I have a septum in my uterus.  These are 2 diff. things.  He had seen this while doing my c/s with my two living children.  i have had 2 miscarriages, 1 at 14-18 weeks and a second at 18 weeks.  Now am going to a Reproductive Endocrinoligist.  If I start my period and am not pregnant we are going to go in and do laproscopy to see what the outer uterus looks like, then he will do a special type of xray with dye and a special ultrasound with gas and determine what my abnormality actually is.  If it is only a septum, he will fix it and that should solve the problem.  This would be outpatient surgery.  If I do have a bicornate uterus,  He could fix it, but I will have to stay in the hospital for 2-3 days, and it will be major abdominal surgery.  Then I will have all the same recovery headaches as a c-section patient.  And I will have to wait 4-6 months to try to get pregnant.  So I am hoping and praying I am either pregnant and everything goes smoothly or that I have a septum and it will be easy to fix and I can go home that day.
My Heartshaped Uterus was diagnosed when I delivered my very Breech son by c-section, other than that I had a rather unextraordinary pregnancy.  I am now 10 weeks into my second.  I had an U/S at 8 weeks, saw the heartbeat and my OB said I could relax until the end of the 2nd trimester when I am more at risk for preterm.  

As for Diagnosing, any OB should be willing to do the HCS which is the Dye test the last post talked about.  But you can't do that while Preggers.  A good US tech may beable to see what "Horn" the baby is implanted in and show you where the septum is.  

If you are pregnant, my best advice would be to relax, worst case scenario, you are a high risk but you get to see the doctor more often which equals seeing or hearing the baby more often!

Plus a planned C-section was a great experience in my opinion.  No labor, my parents were there, the housework was done, my husband was already off work.

No worries!  Good luck!
My name is Holly. I am 20 years old. I am planning on going off the pill (i have been on it for 3 years now) in November. I hope to get pregnant right away so I can give the news to my in-laws and my parents as an xmas gift. Do people usually have problems conceiving the first few months they go off the pill? How does it work? I also want to lose weight before I have a baby. As it is I am not comfortable in my skin. If anyone has suggestions or would like to chat, please email me at butterfly_baybee2005***@**** I will respond to everyone!
Also, will you only conceive on certain days of the month? I can use as much information as I can
Hi Everyone, I am new here, my name is Ronda. I was diagnosed with having a heart-shaped uterus vs. Uterine septum, they didn't know which one, only that it was difficult for me to carry any pregnancies. Out of 10 pregnancies I have had 1 live birth, my son, he is now 13. 8 miscarriages and 1 stillbirth last May of 2004. I carried my daughter to 28 weeks, that was the furthest that I ever came in a pregnancy other then my son, before I became pregnant with my daughter I had the surgery done to correct my uterus, very simple outpatient procedure, recovery not bad at all, got pregnant 2 months after the surgery.  I have never regretted having the procedure done to fix my uterus, I would go for it, save yourself a lot of heartache and have it done.  Good luck to you!!
Ronda
Hello All,
At 20 years old I was diagnosed with a bicornuate uterus. I had 3 miscarriges before I received surgery from an ob/gyn specialist in the Naval Hospital. The surgery was well worth it, and although I had a miscarriage after the surgery, I never gave up. Today , I am  41 years old. I was able to successfully have 2 perfectly healthy children by c- section. 1 boy in 1989, 1 girl in 1992.  Believe and it will work.
Godd luck to you all!.
I am 45 yrs old and have had 2 miscarriages, one right now. I was told by the ultrasound technician that I have a heart shaped uterus, two fibroid cysts and had endometriosis. I had a laproscopy done 7-8 yrs ago, but they couldn't find anything. Different Dr.'s group then. I'll have to wait for grandchildren from my husband's sons. Guess the only baby I have is my husband to take care of. No..he's not a baby, just a very sweet kind compassionate man I fell in love with 6 yrs ago. Take care everyone.
The first pregnancy, it showed nothing in the sac. The second time which is now about 7 wks., I did see a fetal heartbeat on the 7th which was at 67 bpm. The second ultrasound the heartbeat was slower just two days later. So sometime during the 9th of July through today..I lost my baby. I was on bedrest, used the progesterone suppositories, took my prenatal vitamins, folic acid and b-100 for over a month as soon as my pregnancy was confirmed at my Dr.'s office. Ate healthy for weeks during the pregnancy too.
Take care everyone. Happy for you that finally had a healthy baby.
My advice to you is to be very careful, and ask a few different doctors what they think. Removing a septum is generally pretty simple and effective, but fixing a bicornuate uterus is often unnecessary and can damage the integrity of the uterus making it very difficult for you to get pregnant.

I have a bicornuate uterus, and my doctor suggested I leave it alone. I got pregnant soon after that, and had an absolutely perfect pregnancy, labor, and delivery. 6 lb 11 oz little girl. I'm now eight weeks along with my second baby, and I hope things go equally well this time around!

good luck!
I myself was just diagnosed with having a Bicornuate Uterus and I too had 2 miscarriages. When i talked to my doctor about the results she told me that if i would get the surgery that their is a possiblity of bleeding to death and/or not having children at all because the surgery can damage the uterus. I thought about this long and hard. Even though i know i probably wont get pregnant right away and be able to carry at least i know that their is a chance out there that one i will be pregnant and carry to full term. I am willing to except the fact that god made me the way i am for a reason and if that means only having one child then i will be happy with that and call that child my miracle baby. I dont want to die and i want to have kids. I feel your situation because i was in it, But i thought long and hard about it and i dont want to miss out on the chance of having children.
i wish you the best of luck in your decision and hope you have a baby in the future.
I have the same problem with my uterus and I am also looking to get the surgery to fix it I had my first miscarrage (miscarriage) when I was 19 had my only child when I was 21 she is 11 years old now she is my world thinking I may never have a baby again cuz I have not gettin pregnant for 11 years I end up getting pregnant in october2009 and lost my little angel and 2 more miscarriages after that {5 total} it is a living h*** to find out the greatest news in the world only to lose it I plan on getting a IUD until I can getting the surgery cuz I csn't handle losing another gift from God I am never get to see my children but I know they r up in heaven with my mom who died in nov 09 but it only makes it a little easlier to live with but not much if someone can please send some info my way please do i'm on ya hoo under snoopy4ever09
I am 36 yrs old and had my first baby at 18 yrs old. and miscarried 1 baby after the first one... 7 years later tryied for another baby and miscarried it too.@ 8 weeks term and that is when they did an ultrasound and also x-rays and determine that i had a bicornuate uterus heart shaped. They did consider surgery but gave it another try and my second son was born which he is 11 yrs old now. After that 2 yrs later had my daughter wich she is 8 now. I left my pills on May and conceived on October which I lost on December due to the baby's heart was never developed.and the shaped of the uterus. My question is the surgery should be an option right know or just try again?