Maternal & Child Community
Did I have a miscarriage?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Did I have a miscarriage?

I don't know if I had a miscarriage. And its the weekend, so I can't call a doctor but I need some suggestions. Does anyone recommend I get a home pregnancy test to see what my hormone levels are or if that will show up now at all.I started spotting on Thur and I had sharp spiky abdominal pains, mostly in my left side. They weren't the usual period cramps and I wasn't expecting my period yet, esp since I didn't notice the other usual PMS. After a day and a half of spotting, a big clot came out. I noticed some of the stringy stuff hanging from it didn't look like the usual. And it was a single string and wider like a tube. The clot part itself looked more like a sac sort of deflated. I had weird cramps that entire day too. Again, they were not exactly my usual menstrual cramps. They were lower and felt like stabbing pains, like a knife
This is probably something better discussed with a medical proffessional, but here goes a few questions...

Are you trying to concieve (conceive)? If so, then yes there is a possibility of pregnancy. But you say you weren't expecting your period yet when you started bleeding.

So next question: Had you missed a period? If not, then spotting and losing clots BEFORE you are expecting your period is likely NOT a miscarriage but CAN be implantation bleeding. But it can also be s symptom of several other things.

However, that being said, when I have my periods, every few months I lose clots as well. I figure it's my body's way of really cleaning things out in addition to the normal cycle. So it could be totally normal.

To take a test now may or may not help. Wait until you DO expect your regular period and then if you are still spotting and losing clots then I would call the Dr. However, if you miss your period and are not spotting any longer, try a test.
Not a medical professional, but here is my input.

If you had light spotting and cramping that MAY be the implantation of the ferilized egg. I had that happend with my pregnancy. I was scared and didn't even know I was pregnant ( but knew there was a possibility). I too had a clot, and I still dont know what it was. I had a very healthy baby just 8 months later.

As for the bulge, if it's in the area of your ovary, it's possible that it's an ovarian cyst. I have been plagued with them ( blilaterally) since puberty. In most cases they are completely harmless.. just an egg that failed to erupt fully, but you still need to check in with your doctor. I have had several painful ones, including once when I thought I was having an apendicitis attack, and it turned out to be a very large (benign) cyst.

I hope things work out for you. :)
Thank you! Much appreciated!
My period is 6 days late as of today. I took 2 at home pregnancy tests already. One last night and one this morning, and they both came back negative. I really do think that I am (or was) pregnant, I just had a feeling. But today I have spotted a little bit. Nothin major, but the blood is bright red and very light compared to my usual period. Am I just being paranoid or is it posssibly that I am pregnant or that I am having a miscarriage?
Sometimes your hcg level cannot be dectected that early...My friend was 6w before it picked up on home pregnancy tests...She had a feeling she was....When I had my MC it was all in my lower back..I know people are different but my back ached all day...The next day, I started bleeding a good bit, but it was'nt until the next day, that I felt a tingling feeling around my belly button and very bad cramping...Then I passed the clot, I did not even know i was pregnant I thought it was a bad period until I did pass.. I knew exactly what it was...It was nothing like a regular clot...This was more shrimp shaped...Hang in there... Lots of prayers.....P.S.    I found out I was pregnant by a home pregnancy test the very next morning..The hcg levels can stay with you for 4-6 weeks after....
I don't even know if I was ever pregnant, and i know that i'm not supposed to post a question here, but I was just really hoping someone can help me. But here is my question. I know that I could have been pregnant. I am also on the patch, and had unprotected sex during the first week of being on it, and it came loose for some amount of time, i'm not sure how long. I was supposed to get my period on Saturday, 2 days ago, but I had to put on a new patch and start a new cycle right away since it came loose. I started bleeding a week BEFORE I was supposed to get my period, while I was on my third patch. I have been bleeding ever since, which makes it a total of 8 days so far. It has gotten increasingly heavier and much more than a normal period for me. Also two days ago I was bleeding a lot in the shower and had a large amount of blot clot type tissue, which is strange because when I have my period I never bleed in the shower even if I"m on the heaviest days of my period. I have had a lot of blood clots ever since and I don't really know what to think because it is totally abnormal for my period to be early, they are typically a week late and also abnormal for all the blood and clots. I was wondering if this could have been a miscarriage or something else and what I should do. If anyone at all can email me ASAP at ***@**** I would be very very appreciative. Thank you soooo much, I'm freaking out over this so any advice would be great.