Maternal & Child Community
Discharge increasing at almost 38 weeks!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I will be 38 weeks on Wednesday and my discharge (gross!) is thicker and heavier. Is this normal? It is not pink or anything, but I have definently noticed it. I have also been experiencing abnormal contractions for the past 2 weeks on and off. They go away after a few hours and don't come every day. My doctor told me to time them and if they start coming regularly, to go to the hospital. I have an appointment with my doctor on Friday to schedule my induction for 39 weeks pregnant. Can I wait until then, or do you think that I should get checked earlier? I am exhausted and still working full time. I am trying to make it till the end, but it is getting harder and harder to keep it up. Next Tuesday is my last day at work as they are inducing me on Wednesday or Thursday of next week. Is it ok to keep working full time or could this trigger an early labor? This is my first child and I just don't know what is normal and whats not. My doctors office is not very helpful. Every time I call to ask questions or tell them about the contractions, they just say to time them and then go to the hospital. I don't want to go unless I have to because it costs alot of money for my hospital copay! I would rather just pay for my doctor's office visit! Please let me know what you all think! Thank you so much!
Why are they induceing you? I had contractions off and on like that. I think everything is just getting ready. It all sounds normal to me. It is so exciting holding that little person, good luck.
I have heard 2 nightmare induction stories this weekend (I did not solicit them) so I guess I have the same question. What reasons do they give these days for scheduling induction if you're not even due yet?

I do realize there may be some (blood pressure, etc.).  I am not going to share the details of these stories btw but both moms regretted the whole wish-i-could-see-the-baby-why-not-just-induce-now decision that was more or less presented to them as the smart way of doing it.

About the discharge, what does doc say? Could it be sign of infection? That would be my only concern.
You have so much discharge especially at the end of your pregnancy, some of my friends even resorted to panyliners.  Just mention it to your Dr. and if they aren't concernced, I wouldn't worry so long as it doesn't have a strange color or smell.  As for the contractions, I did that with my son too.  They would get up to 6 minutes apart for an hour or so then stop, just before I was about to go in.  Started around 36 weeks, kept going that way till I went in to be induced overdue.  I don't know why you are going in to be induced, usually they won't do it unless there is a medical reason.  I would not recommned it personally.  Took 2 days for mine and I was told it can take up to 3.  The contractions are also stronger on the pitocin.  I would keep moving around and maybe you will go into labor on your own.  Really anyhting after 37 weeks is considered term.  I worked for a week past my due date.  I hoped that all of the standing and moving would help me, but no such luck, maybe it will help you though.  Good luck!
all that is totally normal let me tell you relax just wear a pad for the discharge it will certainly get worse befor it gets better goodluck
mandymoo is absolutely right. I have had 3 babies and with all pregnancies the discharge gets heavier towards the end. I wear panty liners throughout my pregnancy for this reason. As long as the colour and odour is not yellow, green or offensive then you are probably safe. It's all normal. By the way, why on earth would you want to keep working right up until you have the baby? You need this time to relax and prepare mentally and physically for the labour and the new baby LOL!!! Anyway, I also wanted to say that perhaps your contractions are Braxton Hicks. Are they painful or just intense where your belly hardens all over? I had Braxton Hicks with all mine as well from about 18-20 weeks until the very end. They weren't painful until active labour started (after my waters broke). Anyhow, you can always ask your dr if you're really concerned, but your body sounds like it's just getting itself physically ready for labour...good luck!!!
Does the discharge have a odir at times
If there is an odor, its usually an infection and needs to be treated by your doctor.