Maternal & Child Community
Do high levels of prolactin affect your chances of conception?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I have been diagnosed as having high levels of prolactin - I am not pregnant. I am awaiting an appointment for further tests but it is felt that this may be due to a growth in the ptiuitary gland that is causing an increased secretion of prolactin. I have been trying to conceive and my doctor has suggested that it's possible I may not be ovulating because of my prolactin levels.
I am keen to find out if I should avoid the possibility of pregnancy in light of the treatment I may need to rectify this situation. Would it be a bad idea to get pregnant when I already have high prolactin levels? What would be the consequence for both the developing baby and myself?
I'm almost positive that prolactin does affect conception. My friend has that problem and she did have to see a specialist to conceive. I'm not sure of the details though. Definitely look into it!!
High prolactin levels certainly can inhibit ovulation, but as to your other questions, your doctor would be your best resource for your particular situation.
What is prolactin? And what causes high prolactin levels? Just curious about this.
I had a pituitary growth 10 years ago, and to remove it required surgery.  I would definitely wait and ask your doctor, as the last thing you want to have to deal with while you're pregnant is surgery.

Take care~
Prolactin is the hormone your pituitary gland releases to stimulate milk production.  High levels can be caused by (usually) benign tumors on the pituitary gland.
Hi just new to this , But I have High Prolactin levels but I still get a regular period and all , its just when I concieve (conceive) the levels are that High, they think , thats the Drs by the way , that my High levels are causing my reoccuring miscarriages....I have lost 3 babies since august 2006 and its not fair, and its so not Nice to deal with the mental truma.
I have been to Drs for the past year woring out what to do , and how to get this issue under control , but test after test, specialist after specialist and nothing.
I have a slight fatty livel which I am in the process of making better by changing diet , exercise more and no more alcohol...Im would like to give it 6 months and see how we go from there.
If anyone else has a suggestion I would love to hear from you.
KInd Regards Natalie
I just found out that I have high prolactin levels and I. Still get my menstrual cycle monthly as well. I had 3 tubal pregnancies and I had to have a tube removed with the last pregnancy in October 2010. I am new to this and I just want to know if there is something that can be done to reverse the affects b/c I would love to have children and after reading some of the comments I'm not sure if I will be able to. Can someone please explain this in further detail please?
I have just been diagnosed with high prolactine after numerous blood test and an MRI scan. Basically prolactine is a hormone from the piturity gland released to prevent pregnancy say if you were already pregnant or in some cases breastfeeding. In my case its neither of these things and they found a small growth on the gland (6mm) which is producing higher levels of this hormone. Although I am haveing regular periods, I'm not actually releasing an egg. So, I have just been given medication to bring the levels down which should return to normal and I then hopefully I will be able to concieve (conceive).
I hope this give u hope I have been having high prolactin for 7 years I been on brocripatine for the whole time I never got pregnant my doctor just change my meds to cabergoline and I got pregnant two weeks latter but my babby heart beat stop at 9 weeks my heart in so much pain and the doctor dozen know if that's because of my high prolactin levels any body ready this please tell me what y'all think if my baby heart stop because of high prolactin levels
I am just curious as to how high your prolactin levels are ... because I have an elevated prolactin level and am trying to conceive. I know that I do not have a pituitary tumor and I do ovulate and have a regular cycle but my LP is short. (8-9 days) Would love to know your story from this post on just to possibly help with my ttc journey. Thank you.
I too have had elevated prolactin for many years. No tumor ( had a couple MRIs over the years ) and somewhat regular periods. I got pregnant and had a successful delivery. Don't lose hope :)

I was just recently informed that my prolactin levels are elevated.  First it was 33, then a few days later it jumped to 45.  I don't believe I ovulated last month, But im not sure because I don't track it.  I was a week late for my period and thought I was pregnant.  Tests showed negative, but now what would be 6 weeks from my last AF, I feel as if I'm possibly ovulating.  My question is, do I still stand the chance of getting pregnant?  I'm going to see an endocrinologist in a couple weeks.  Your insight is appreciated.