Maternal & Child Community
Does LO want to sleep on tummy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Does LO want to sleep on tummy?

Cash's ENT and his Pediatric ENT have both suggested that I let him sleep on his tummy.  He is eleven weeks old tomorrow and it scares me to do it.  He has really loud breathing noises bc he has a "floppy airway" that collapses partially when he is relaxed.  The condition is called laryngomalacia.  During the day if he falls asleep on mommy or daddy he sleeps on our chest on his tummy and makes NO noise and sleeps wonderfully.  On his back (elevated or not) he doesn't rest well at night and doesn't hardly sleep at all during the day.  Last night I put him on his tummy and he slept 8 hours straight!  It was wonderful and he was in the best mood this morning!  I just don't know if I want to continue it.  
Just wondering if anyone is letting or has let LO sleep on their tummy?
After you answer please post your opinion - I am very interested to see what everyone thinks.
16%
 (1) 
Yes - naps only
66%
 (4) 
Yes - naps and at night
0%
 (0) 
No - and won't do it
16%
 (1) 
Other - if you choose this please explain below
6 Members voted
I chose other because i did not do it with DS and would not do it with DS BUT in your situation i would.  It sounds like the chance of sids due to tummy sleeping would be more rare than something happening due to his condition sleeping on his back.  
I did let my son sleep on his belly but only during nap times.  He would be laying on my chest.  But at night, I never would.  Only because I was a paranoid freak about it.  If the ENT's say it's ok, than I don't think there would be an issue.
I say yes you should follow the docs advice. Mine all rolled over by 15 weeks or there abouts but once they could do that they were all tummy sleepers. He should have enough head control at 12 weeks so I think it should be ok. I hope he sleeps better for you. Good Luck
I said Yes, naps and night.  My ds sleeps best this way, and so did dd#1.  I don't put him down this way ALL the time; if he falls asleep on his back, i will keep him on his back,  But he def sleeps longer on his tummy.
If two Drs recommend this way for your  son, i would feel pretty safe with it.
Jillian loved her tummy and slept so well that way even though it scared me.  I started off letting her do it at nap time while we were up to peak at her and then it got to where she would wake up in the middle of the night and not want to nurse or have a bottle so I would flip her and she'd go right back to sleep and sleep til morning.  I finally just started putting her down on her tummy and she did great.  She had acid reflux when she was an infant so it really helped with that and her ped even got over the idea of it because she did so much better that way, wasn't a premie and had no other concerns for SIDS.  I don't remember how old she was by the time I was putting her down that way, but I want to say it was probably by 12 weeks or so.  But even nap time on her tummy started really early...maybe 4 or 5 weeks.  So I say, if there are no other risk factors and he is doing well that way, let him!  They have changed their minds on how babies should sleep for years....I was a tummy baby and I'm fine!
I think I would go by what the Dr's are recommending for him.   My son slept on his tummy because of medical reasons.  I would have been far more uncomfortable not following the Drs advice.
I wanted to add that I would make sure he has a firm mattress and no blankets, pillows, stuffed animals or crib padding.    
thanks everyone for your responses so far!
If it would make you feel better then you could buy a movement monitor so that you would know if anything went wrong. A friend of mine did this from 1 week because it was the only way her little one would sleep and he learnt to roll at 4 weeks. Just an idea to ease your mind.
My son slept on his tummy from day one and would not sleep any other way! Everyone has a different opinion on this matter, but I think that if they sleep better a certain way, you should let them. I also think that by allowing them to be on their tummy, they learn to do "tummy activities" faster-- maybe that's juts a myth, but my son was crawling at 4 1/2 months and walking by 9 months--
Good luck!