MATERNAL & CHILD
COMMUNITY
Does Nutramigen cause gas??
by Manduh480, Aug 13, 2009
My son was on Good Start when he was first born. He started having a little bit of blood in his poop after about 2 weeks so I took him in to see a doctor. They told me to take him off of the formula and breastfeed because he could be allergic to the cow milk proteins. So, I tried the breastfeeding for about 3 days but I could not handle the constant feedings. So, I took him in again to see a different doctor. This time the doctor told me to put him on a formula called Nutramigen. After about a week he still had a little bit of blood in his poop. So, I took him again. This time the doctor said that he had a cut in his bum and that was causing the blood. Now, my son is 2 months and 2 weeks old and he seems to be having bad gas that hurts him. He spits up and cries when he's passing gas. I can hear some rumbling in his stomach often too. Sometimes it eve hurts him to burp. I really want to put him on Enfamil Gentlease but I'm not sure if he is REALLY allergic to cows mlk protein. Someone help!
Member Comments (4)
by 3charms, Aug 26, 2009
I am having the same problem with mine.  We are going to see a gastro doctor tomorrow.  my daughter is grunting and in pain with gas on the Nutramigen. I am at a loss. Each doctor has their own theory.  Soy made her overly constipated but worked like a charm!
by AnnieBrooke, Aug 26, 2009
Try adding some infant probiotic powder or a little bit of live-culture yogurt into each feeding.  It can really help.
by lana197202, Sep 03, 2009
1. If you still breastfeeding, limit your protein meal to chicken and pork. Other protein sources such as beef(many people think it is not an allergen, but it is for the serious cases),cow milk, cheese, nuts, beans(legames) that trigger the allergic responses. By restricting my diet, the blood steads in my son's stool disappeared after the second day. A doctor who is a faculty of a famous university even had suggested me to use x-ray to check my son's digest system. So I had to Google by myself. Not every doctor knows the correct answers.

2.Do not provide any formula. Instead, buying goat milk from whole food to feed your baby if your breast milk is not enough. Goat milk is like the our breast milk and our baby can digest well without worrying the allergy. Remember to provide the baby VITA B12 because goat milk has no b12 which is vital to produce blood. Another thing is to feed him something to prevent constipation because goatmilk has higher percentage of protein than breast milk. You can Google the information to get more details. It is true that goat milk is the alternative to breast milk for many cultures, but not in western culture. My son still had allergic responses if I provided him any formula including nutrimigen because for serious case, babys still can’t tolerate the hydrated cow milk. At least, my son was.

My son had blood in his stool around 3 month old, and It took me almost two month to finally solve the problem. It is really stressful to see the blood in my son’s stool. So I totally understand your worry. Now my son is 9 month old, and I provide him 20 oz goat milk and 6 oz breast milk. Now he is very healthy.

by lana197202, Sep 03, 2009
To avoid constitation due to soy formula or goatmilk, provide prune juce to the baby.
it is very strong so dilute it by 1:1 with water. provide the diluted juce your baby about 1 oz. wait 1~2 hours, if no bowel movment, provide the juce again. Prune juce is very strong and definitely can trigger the bowel movement. Trying avoding the diarea due to too much of prune juce.