Maternal & Child Community
Does a big baby make you more likely to go into labor early?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I have been looking for this all over the net and found nothing, so I thought I would turn to personal experience.  Anyone diagnosed as having a big baby know if you are more likely to naturally go into labor earlier (due to baby running out of room, weight in the uterus, etc)?  I would really love Luke to make an early entrance -- at 35 weeks doctor is estimating close to 8 lbs. (over 10 lbs. at full term).
I was wondering the same thing too! My baby is measuring 2 weeks ahead, Thanks for asking the question, I hope someone can help :)
I have 4 girls and having my 5th. I'm only 10 weeks today. But with my 3rd child she was 3 days early and 10.7 yes I did say 10.7.  I will never will forget that labor. Because she was my 3rd and it is true very labor comes faster.  Will anyways she was born in just 2 hours.  From the time my water broke at home to the hospital. No time for drugs.  I don't want to scare you, but they didn't even have time to cut me. So yes I think the heavier the baby the more likely you will go into labor early.  The less room your baby has to move the more likely your water will break sooner.  Also something to think about.  When she was born her sugar level was low because of her weight and had a special diet. She stayed in the hospital an extra 2 days.  Hope that my experience help....Good Luck
My baby boy was 9.6 and he was born 3 days late.
My first was 4lb 13oz born at 32 weeks; went into labour on my own, water broke so it couldn't be stopped the cause of my premature labour was unknown. Second was 8lb 10oz; c-section, had problems with excess amniotic fluid and he was breech so it was decided 2 days before and following some lung maturity tests to do section at 37 weeks. I wasn't showing any signs of baby coming and I am only 5ft and was measuring 46 weeks at the time; I could hardly move! I think there is more to consider than just the size of the baby, both your baby and your body have to be ready for birth.
My boy was 9 lbs and 12 days late.  He had been stuck "diagonally" for the longest time and been pushing against my ovaries or something in that area. One night I woke up to a huge internal puff and thought he had now broken some pelvic bone. Well, it was the water that broke... All I have heard so far is that babies are born when their proper nourishment through the placenta is starting to taper off, for whatever reason, but not because they are too large.
hi, no not earlyer but once labor starts it does tend to be quicker !
My first DD was 10lbs and she was only 2 days before my EDD, so I would say she was not early at all and labor took 19 hours from the moment my water broke. So, no, it may not make it faster or earlier. More likely if he would be your 2nd or 3rd. My 2nd DD came 3 weeks early and was 8.7 lbs and was 45 min pushing. So, we are all different!

Are you small built? Perhaps discuss an earlier induction like 38 weeks or so.
My son was 10 lbs. 3 oz. , but I began contractions for weeks before and my Dr. said afterwards that my body must have known he was too big and just kept shutting down.  Even when I was in active labor, when they turned down the pitocin while I was pushing, the contractions stopped and they had to turn it back up.  I was in active labor for 38 hours, not fast enough for me, but he got here all the same.  I went about 5 weeks going in and out of contractions though.  This one is looking big too and they will induce by 39 weeks if no baby yet.  Sometimes Dr.'s can be wrong though.  My friend was told her baby was over 8 lbs. at 37 weeks.  She went into labor the next day and her baby was barely 5 lbs., she had to buy preemie diapers and clothes.  I would not worry, you'd be surprised what you can handle.  just talk to your Dr.  They won't make you wait if htey think your baby will be too big.
The bigger my babies have been the longer it took to go into labor. My 9lb 8oz baby was born 12 days late.
I was 10lbs 1oz when my mom had me, 2 weeks late delivered by c-section!