Maternal & Child Community
Does an amniocentesis hurt?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Does an amniocentesis hurt?

As some of you may remember my Dr. is planning on inducing me this Thursday. I will be about 38 1/2 weeks and he is doing it b/c I have GD and our baby girl is estimated to be big even though the GD is under control. At any rate, he wants to do an amnio on Tues. to confirm that her lungs are in fact mature. Apparently babies born to mom's with GD lung's are slower to develop and he just wants to be safe. I am fine with this but I did have a few questions.

1) I know that the numbing shot may hurt a bit, but is an amnio very painful?

2) Does anyone know of any risks assoicated with  an amnio this late in PG?

3) Also, I know I should stop worrying and asking this but if anyone had GD could you please let me know if your babies had any complications? In addition as I have mentioned my GD is well controlled with diet and exrcise. However I am seeing a high risk OB, his protocol has been to do a biophysical profile every week since week 32 as well as to deliver no later than 381/2 weeks. It to late now but no one else on the board has ever mentioned that their Dr.'s took these measures. Do y'all think this was over doing it a bit or have any of you gone through something similar? I am happy with him and mostly very relieved that each week she has looked great and recieved all of her points on the test. I tend to kind of like to be more cautious than necessary so I guess my Dr and I are a good fit.

I am so excited, it has been a long wait!!! Good luck to everyone else and take care.
ACTUALLY NO...I WENT WITH MY SISTER TO THE DOCTOR BECAUSE SHE HAD TO GET ONE AS WELL...SHE TOLD ME IT WAS SO NOT PAINFUL AT ALL.....ITS LIKE A ACUPUNCTURE NEEDLE"""EXTREMELY THIN"SHE TOLD ME SHE COULDN'T EVEN FEEL WHEN THE DOC DID IT....HOPE THIS HELPS....
I had an amnio at 18 weeks and it hurt, but was not overly painful. I had more discomfort afterwards with some cramping and pian where the needle went in. I would have someone take you so that you can take it easy and make sure to relax and put your feet up after you get home. I am testing for a genetic disorder and feel that it is more than worth the discomfort I felt. Best of luck!!
I had an amnio at 23 weeks to check for infection because the baby was in distress. I delivered the nest day, she is healthy. The amnio did not hurt me at all just some cramping after. I was told that the major risk was that an amnio can cause labor to start but if they are inducing you sounds like that would not be an issue. It is mimportant to know that the babies lungs are fully develop and it is worth the amnio. If the lungs are not fully developed don't worry, the dr can give you a shot of steriods for the baby, this will help the lungs develop more in a short period of time - like 24 to 48 hours. good luck
I just got my second (second pregnancy) amnio done a few weeks ago. It doesn't hurt really any more than a bee sting.  And I was actually advised that if you get the numbing agent that is more painful then just getting the amnio done without it.  Both times I had mine done with no "pain reliever" and I felt fine.  Only thing is the days following make sure you are not lifting stuff or moving around (ie. excersing, lifting young children or anything above 15-20lbs) Only for about 2 days though.  My advice an amnio is a good way to prepare for anything that may come up. My first pregnancy I orignally turned it down until an ultrasound  found something wrong then I got it. In the end it actually helped, I believe, save my daughter's life.  Also to women who question getting it I think of it as a helpful tool in preparing yourself for the just in case. Why wait you can only help yourself knowing things and that way when the big day comes you aren't side swiped with unexpected news, you can just enjoy your day.
I know this is an old post, but it is one of the first responses i a google search, so I felt I had a responsibility to respond.

I had the amniocentesis at 16 weeks to rule out Downs.  I hate to say it was very painful for me.  The upside is, it's over in a couple minutes.  Just want to be honest.  Good luck!