Maternal & Child Community
Does anyone know how to get baby to take pacifier

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My DD is currently 7 weeks old and we are having a heck of a time trying to keep her asleep.  I have tried so hard to put her to sleep awake but drowsy and not sleep on the breast but to no avail.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I will put her into the bassinet when she is sleepy and she will sleep for maybe 10-15 mins and then she startles herself awake.  She will then want to nurse even though I've nursed her just 1/2 hr ago.  I know its for comfort since she sucks for a couple of minutes and then falls completely asleep and as soon as I move her she cries.  The pacifier really helped for the 1st 4 weeks,  she would take it suck on it and then spit it out as she fell asleep.  I really don't want to be her human pacifier but have no idea how to break the habit or get her to take the pacifier.  Can someone please help!  Once she is asleep she is fine but getting there is the most frustrating thing.  It takes me anywhere from 1.5 - 2 hrs to get her to stay asleep in the bassinet at night.
my DS did not like regular pacifiers.. We bought a couple different ones.. Then finally the one that i didnt want to do cause it so ugly compared to the others.. He loved it... It is made by soothie.. I think it will give her the confort the breast or bottle does ( cause of the shape ).. You should try it..I can only find them at target.. Visit this website www.childmed.com So you can see what they look like... I think we started giving them to him around 6-7 weeks and he still loves it..lol well good luck and i hope this works out for you..
You are lucky if she does not like pacifiers because they can turn into such a habit with a couple of problems later on. During the months of a higher need of sucking, though, there is nothing wrong with letting her suck on your clean pinky if she just needs to go back to sleep. I know many people think that is gross or weird but all you want to achieve is getting her through that phase of a month or two without becoming a slave later on for the "can`t sleep, where is my pacifier" game. If you use one anyway, the Avent bottle system also has a pacifier that is shaped like a breast nipple. It causes the least nipple confusion if you continue to breastfeed. Also, if she does take it to fall asleep, she will spit out the pacifier once she is asleep. Then remove the pacifier. Many parents are, understandably, paranoid about their infants waking up and crying again and keep stuffing that dummy back in, day and night. It undermines your baby`s wish and ability to communicate. With my son, I used that pinky-method for a while whenever I was sure it had been less than two since his last breatfeeding. That way you can maintain a feeding routine and still give them the comfort they need.
I was having exactly the same trouble as you she would calm down on the breast and as soon as I put her in the basinett she screamed I tried a dummy but that made her even more upset. Its been tiring but it does get better I now know colic was her problem she was having a lot of wind so I got some special drops and a wee motorised baby swing for her and what a difference plus I leave her crying unless its really stressful crying I get her up she is 10 weeks old and now I get her settled at 10pm and she sleeps thru till 7am when it used to be 12pm but with colic it usually gets better by 3 months good luck. Shes also found her fist to suck that makes a huge difference.
Do not make the same mistake I did!!  I stuck the breast in every time she cried and now DD is 4 mos old and she still looks for the breast when she's crying.  It's tough, she won't calm down otherwise.  Like others mentioned, get a good paci and let's hope that works.  I'm also in the market for good one.  I hate giving one to her but feel that we need to break the habit of me being a human pacifier (but then again, we'll have to break another habit, there is always something).
I am a binky advocate. It brought such comfort to my son and I think it's the reason he is such a good sleeper and always has been. Plus studies show it cuts backt he odds of SIDs and does not effect their teeth. My son is 2.5 and still sucks a bink but only when he's going to sleep. No other time. I don't mind that and it was easy to establish this boundry.

But to answer your question about getting them to suck a bink. My son resisted at first too mostly b/c he didn't know how to suck it. But once he learned it was a god sent. When he was a nb he was gassy (I breastfed) and I would give him a dropper of mylacon. This action of sucking the wand is the same as sucking a bink. So I'd slip the bink in right after taking the dropper out and he learned that way. We did this for a week or so. I didn't always give him mylacon though...if he didn't need the drops, I'd put warm water in the bottle and give him a dropper full just to get him sucking in order to slip the bink in. Worked like a charm.

Good luck!
I used a paci for my first son--when he turned three he was done with it--my 2nd DS never used a nuk except at Grandma's--for him to fall asleep after he was a few weeks old I had to put him to sleep on his tummy--he would not fall asleep any other way--to this day he still likes to lay on his tummy--he is 2 1/2 now.  Maybe try this for nap and see how she does with sleep.
I used sookies (Canadian term) for both my kids.  I thought they were a God send.  Never affected their teeth, weaned them off day time use at a year and a little later for nighttime.

I took a lot of heat from my earth mummy friends, but to each their own.  My breasts needed a break.
yes!!! pacifiers are heavenly but if she's not taking them you have to give them to her whether she wants it or not alot of time they're just unfamiliar with the shape of it especially if your breast feeding what might work is right after you take your breast or bottle out of her mouth stick the pacifer in her mouth preferably the nuk kind um regardless of whether she's asleep pr awake just hold it in her mouth and if she starts cryong then of course rock her with it in her mouth still. um usually when they're asleep they suck they're lips anyways so maybe that will help you
good luck.. and don't give up I promise she will take it eventually
I'll have to say, I did use the trick of putting a bit of mylacon on the binky :) It does wonders. Also, if the baby is startling after 10-15 min you may want to try the swaddle blanket at babies r us. It keeps them toasty and not flailing around  with their arms to wake them up, Good luck! PS I use the AVENT pacifier. Now that's the only one dd will take.