Maternal & Child Community
Does anyone know of any older kids that did not get vaccinated?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi everyone, a friend and I were discussing vaccinations, I know more and more parents are not geeting there children vaccinated for many reasons, without getting into a big discussion, I was wondering in anyone out there knows of anyone who has older children that were not vaccinated and what has there outcome been? have they been sick? etc.

Thanks for anyones comments!!
This is a very passionate subject...I know plenty of older kids not vaccinated and they are fine.  I was born in the 70's and I got 3 times LESS vaccines then kids get nowadays.  I myself did not give my baby all the vaccines.  I researched all of them and only gave a few of them.  I gave her the menengitis ones...I did not give her polio because it has been knocked off the Western Hempishere and have had no cases of it since the 70's and I did not give her hep B because she is not having sex, sharing needles, and I dont have it. She can get it when she is older.  I highly suggest looking at the ones that they can take when they are older.  

It's a very heated debate and I highly suggest reading all you can...I think the website that is non bias is called vaccine.org or soemthing like it...
Same as brookie1523, my son is only 4 and I am fortunate enough to have a very aware pediatrician who openly does link autism to vaccinations. He specifically purchases only single doses (no multi-doses which contain mercury). There are a few that he has not been able to get single doses for and I have opted out of those based of "religious exemption" which in my definition is as broad as saying I won't do anything to even POTENTIALLY harm my child.  If nothing else space them out, there is absolutley no reason for them to be done by the immunization schedule.
I agree, space them out.  They dont need all at once.  My DD gets 3 of them and I do one a month.  Here's why.  At my 2 month visit my 5.5 pound baby was supposed to get 5 vaccines-4 shots and one oral along with my friend who has a 13 pound 2 month old getting the exact same dose of vaccines.  How can anyone justify giving my 5.5 pound 2 mo old the same dose of vaccine as a 13 pound baby????  They even measure out tylenol based on weight!  I mean come on, it did not make any sense to me. I refused the polio, hep B, rotovirus, and one other.  To me polio has been around in 30 yrs, hep B she can get as a teenager, she can get diarrhea from rotovirus-big whoop, etc...She is also not getting MMR ever.  

I dont believe it's the mercury in vaccines I think that because our kids today get 3 times more vaccines then we did as kids, it breaks down their immunity.  I also dont think that every child is made the same.  Their should be doses based on weight not ONE SIZE FITS ALL!!  
Usually, public school systems require immunization documentation prior to enrollment.  If you plan to homeschool or go the private school route (some do require immunization) then you might could not vaccinate and be fine.
I do the required vaccines, and my family travels abroad so I included polio since we would be traveling to a polio endemic area.

Also, if you plan to use a daycare--my friends say they have to have vac forms as well.
By the way, a lot of diseases that were wiped out in the United States are being brought in by immigrants--both legal and illegal.
Polio is still found in South America.

Before anyone jumps on me for this, my husband is an immigrant from Asia. He is legal and has all his health clearances--unlike many others who come here.

Also, I used to live in a state that never had a TB problem.  All of a sudden, a large group of immigrants moved into the town next to ours.  Guess what--the school had to be closed for TB outbreak.  

Undocumented people can make your children unhealthy--and that is a public known fact.

I wouldn't take any chances in today's transit society.  My children are vaccinated and are extremely intelligent.  I don't believe vaccines are the main culprit of autism, and I have researched this before giving my children the vaccines.

Of, course, this is my opinion and you are free to have your own and free to make your own choices.

I do agree that doses should be tailored to the child--excellent comment to make.
Also, I was doing research for a book I was writing about vaccinations.  The schedule is important regarding the immune system and how it responds.  The time schedule is based on the effectiveness of the doses.  For instance, you can still get polio in India if you do not have all the doses--and within a certain time frame.

|   MMR and Autism CDC Factsheet
1 hour ago - 0 comments

Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) Vaccine and Autism Fact Sheet
Basic Information
The MMR vaccine protects children against dangerous, even deadly, diseases.

Because signs of autism may appear at around the same time children receive the MMR vaccine, some parents may worry that the vaccine causes autism.

Carefully performed scientific studies have found no relationship between MMR vaccine and autism.

CDC continues to recommend two doses of MMR vaccine for all children.
Additional Facts
MMR is a combination vaccine that protects children from measles, mumps, and rubella (also known as German measles). The first dose of the vaccine is usually given to children 12 to 15 months old. The second dose is usually given between 4 and 6 years of age.

In 1998, a study of autistic children raised the question of a connection between MMR vaccine and autism.

The 1998 study has a number of limitations. For example, the study was very small, involving only 12 children. This is too few cases to make any generalizations about the causes of autism. In addition, the researchers suggested that MMR vaccination caused bowel problems in the children, which then led to autism. However, in some of the children studied, symptoms of autism appeared before symptoms of bowel disease.

In 2004, 10 of the 13 authors of the 1998 study retracted the study's interpretation. The authors stated that the data were not able to establish a causal link between MMR vaccine and autism.

Other larger studies have found no relationship between MMR vaccine and autism. For example, researchers in the UK studied the records of 498 children with autism born between 1979 and 1998. They found:

The percentage of children with autism who received MMR vaccine was the same as the percentage of unaffected children in the region who received MMR vaccine.

There was no difference in the age of diagnosis of autism in vaccinated and unvaccinated children.

The onset of "regressive" symptoms of autism did not occur within 2, 4, or 6 months of receiving the MMR vaccine.

Groups of experts, including the American Academy of Pediatrics, agree that MMR vaccine is not responsible for recent increases in the number of children with autism. In 2004, a report by the Institute of Medicine (IOM) concluded that there is no association between autism and MMR vaccine, or vaccines that contain thimerosal as a preservative.

There is no published scientific evidence showing that there is any benefit to separating the combination MMR vaccine into three individual shots.
More Information
Autism Information from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Mercury and Vaccines (Thimerosal)
Frequently Asked Questions about Vaccines and Autism from CDC's Autism Information Center
National Immunization Hotline:
English (800) 232-2522
Spanish (800) 232-0233
Other Organizations
American Academy of Pediatrics
American Medical Association
Autism Society of America
Immunization Action Coalition: MMR vaccine does not cause autism
National Network for Immunization Information
The MMR Decision Aid from the National Centre for Immunisation Research & Surveillance, Australia
Page last modified: October 31, 2007
This page was last reviewed on 19 December 2006.

Page Located on the Web at http://www.cdc.gov/od/science/iso/concerns/mmr_autism_factsheet.htm

I could also go on the internet & cut and paste all of the reasons why you shouldn't vaccinate but this is not the board for that.  

Also, schools do require vaccines but you can fill out a form that you refused vaccinations for "religious reasons"...they cannot deny your child education.

I only get the ones that are serious and common such as menegitis.  The chances of my child becoming autistic are far greater than getting polio.
FYI-I do not believe mercury is the cause of autism.  I feel there is a genetic background and autism is triggered by the 3 times more vaccines children get these days...

Also, I had measels and mumps when I was a baby and I lived.  Babies need to build immunity.  If we keep vaccinating for everything then their body will not be able to fight off something more common such as cancers...
They can deny your child education, it depends on your district.
Thanks ladies, my DH is a doctor and he too believes that each child/baby is different. All babies are not the same weight at two months 4 months etc. and that babies are getting too many shots at one time. Our daughter is 5 months and she has not had any shots up to this point. However there are a few that my husband and I are going to give her, and we are spacing them out. But it has gotten out of control that they are creating a vaccine for everything, I am 37 and I had chicken pox when I was a child and the chances of a child dying of chicken pox is slim (heck you can get a cold and it could turn into pneumia (sorry for the spelling) and you could die, Children need to have a good immune system to ward off sicknesses that they may get, with all the vaccines and antibiotics we give children now days we are killing their immune system( a friend of mines daughter is only 3 weeks older than my daughter and she has been on breathing treatments/steroids for a cold plus antibiotics twice, all in just 6 months! I agree medicines do work but with a cold at times we need for it to just run its course. I admit I dread the first time my baby gets a cold, but there will be lots of love and kisses to get her thru it...
Again everyone has there opinion and we all want whats best for our babies, just go with your motherly instincts and the trust in God.
According to the CDC West Viginia and Mississippi are the only 2 states in America that do not allow "religious exemption"  Every other school distict in all the other states allow it.  You have to request a special form to get religious exemption.
I agree w/you about chicken pox!  Chicken Pox is like a rite of passage to being a kid!  The next thing they willl make is a vaccine to prevent colds!!!  
You are right--their districts are different.
My son gets his shots spaced apart. He got DTaP and polio at 2 months. At 3 months he got prevnar and hib. 4 months we repeated month 2. 5 months will be a repeat of month 3. My main reason for spacing the vaccinations is this: if a baby is give a "cocktail" of shots and has an allergic reaction HOW do you know which shot caused the reaction? You don't. Then you go back in 2 months to play russian roullette again when you repeat the shots!

My son did not get Hep. B...nor will he, til he's older. Hep. A is not researched enough and is such a rare strand that his chances of contracting that are slim to none. MMR will be done (maybe), but it will be in 3 seperate shots. All three are a shock to the system.

Chicken Pox vaccine is dumb!! The worst time to have chicken pox (because they can lead to death) is when you are a baby under one or an adult. The vaccine is given at 12-15 months, when kids aren't at high of risk of death anymore. That shot wears off and they get a booster. The booster runs out in late teen years...allowing you to get the pox as an adult! Furthermore, kids who are vaccinated with this often end up with the chicken pox and they get it more than once!! Non-vaccinated kids get it once, miss a week of school and don't get it again! My son WILL NOT get chicken pox vaccine!

And like sck08 said, there are only 2 states in the US that can deny your child education. Many states (including my own) allow you to fill out an exemption form for personal beliefs...you don't even have to claim it's religious! But really, I'd say it's pretty much against any religion's belief to intentionally infect your child unnecessarily!
I think you have to consider vaccinations - and I didn't vax my three kids for chicken pox either.  It's not turning out,  that was a smart idea.  Kids who WERE vaxed are now coming down with chicken pox in fifth and 6th grade - when the vaccine wears off,  and the illness is much harder to take.

On the  other hand, parents who don't vax for polio are relying on other parents doing it.  Polio is hideous - if most parents don't get the polio vax for their kids, we'd be right back in the early 50's when summer was a terror for parents.

You always have to look at the odds.  What are the odds my child will be harmed by a vaccine,  vs.  what are the odds everyone ELSE's kids will  be vaccinated so my child won't be at risk due to them being unable to spread a dread disease.

It's a crapshoot.  You're welcome,  by the way,  to all the parents who didn't vax for polio and relied on the rest of us to bear the risk.
Oops,  my post should have read "it's noW turning out that's a smart idea".
at 2 months your baby was 5.5 lbs? was she a preemie? i would think rotovirus is one of the more important ones for her at this point. i know many babies that have been hospitalized for rotovirus. it actually can be a "big whoop" and very scary for the families.

i'm too tired to share my opinions on vaccines. it would take too much effort to word it without sounding like i am picking a fight, which is not my intention. just thought i'd share my experiences with rotovirus. especially since at this point in her life, she's more likely to be exposed to that than other things they get vaccinated for.
"FYI" I wasn't talking about you when I mentioned the mercury.  I had read it in another post.

Your quote:
"I only get the ones that are serious and common such as menegitis.  The chances of my child becoming autistic are far greater than getting polio."

I don't think there are sources out there to corroborate this comment you made.

RockRose is right:

In economics, it is often called free riding, when people who do not want to do something depend on others for their own benefit.

If you don't vax your children then you rely on someone else who does.

I believe that is how polio got eradicated in the first place.

What I said about school districts was right on because I knew about the two states who do not allow for it, and many people who read this forum live in those states and districts.  I know someone who went through it, and moved.

Vax is a personal decision.  My children have vaxs that I think they need.

We traveled a lot and to places where polio still exists so I didn't take any chances.

You should be glad because if we had brought it back home with us--then your children could be at risk.

--Sorry last post got cut short--had to read bedtime story:)
i think this is very scary to hear.  none of these diseases are wiped out.  they are all around us.  we are not getting it because we have vaccines.  the only thing that is wiped out is small pox and they have stopped vaccinating for it.  everyone who is not vaccinating their child is harming the whole population.  even if one of these kids who are not vaccinated gets a disease that we have not seen for a while, it could mutate and infect everyone who has gotten the vaccine.  it could start a whole epidemic that we are not prepared for.  rotovirus, diarreah (diarrhea), big whoop?  yeah when your baby dehydrates and dies will you still be saying big whoop?  have you met anyone who has ever had polio, measels, mumps...maybe you should find one of those people and ask...oh wait, they are DEAD!  Thank you all for putting the children at risk whos parents actually did their job to the child and to their community.
Yes, she was only 4.5 pounds when we left the hospital and during her first month didnt gain weight because of her GI issues...Roto virus is very new..my pedi said that kids that go to daycare should get that vaccine.  Mine does not attend daycare.  The other issue I had with that was that it is a live virus.  I have friends and all their kids had roto and they were really sick and had diarrhea...they lived.  You can get put in the hospital for lots of reasons...

I also dont think that parents who dont vaccinate are waiting for everyone else to do it so they dont have to.  If someone came over w/a disease then my child would get it that way.  There are millions of dieases and to try and prevent them all is obviously not possible.  All I can do is keep my child safe from things I think are harmful.  She did get the pneumicoccal & DTAP and that is it.  I also am following a "safe" schedule.  I space them out and only do one at a time.  
Can anyone honestly say that their baby should get a hep b vaccine when it is only transmitted through a needle, sex, or the mother?  To me I just cant justify that one...when she is a teenager than we'll talk about it...

if they come out for a vaccine for colds i'm the first in line!!! lol

i don't have children...yet...but when i do they'll be getting all their vaccines. not in a "cocktail" form at once....the spacing out is a good idea. but kjbutcher has a good point. if every parent doesnt vaccinate their kids and relys on others to do thiers...there could end up being an outbreak of something that nobody is prepared for...except those who did vaccinate. my mother had my brother and i vaccinated for everything...except the chicken pox's one b/c the didn't have that when i was a kid and no i never got sick with anything minus colds or a tummy virus but she also didn't risk us ending up with something more serious..and fyi neither my brother nor i are autisitc...but of course the vaccination thing is completely up to the parents...

lol i still keep up to date on all my immunizations. which i'm about due for a tetnus in the next year or two. blah.

I lived in Macau, China for about 6 months.  When it came time for me to come home, I took a ferry over to the Hong Kong airport, then from Hong Kong switched planes in Taipei, from Taipei to Chicago, from Chicago to Raleigh/Durham NC, and I was not screened nor did I have to get vaccinated or show proof of vaccination.  No telling what I could have brought back with me.  It was hard to tell if you had a cold over there or if you were just suffering from poluted lungs.  I hacked and coughed for several days after I was back in the States.  We took our dog over there who only had to show proof of rabies shots and show proof of rabies shots when he returned.

I do think our government should be more careful with immigrants as well as people returning to the States from abroad.  Pets can carry just as much as a human.  

I have not thought about vaccinations I will allow my baby to have.  Wow, theres alot to get prepared for.  I need to go study.  
definitely go study. i am sure you realize this thread has been very one-sided (like i said, i don't have the time or energy to start up a debate and it has been hashed out on this forum before). most people do go ahead and do all or most vaccines; if not on the recommended schedule than on a slightly different schedule. talk to your ped too, because if you have differing philosophies you may want to choose a new one.
also consider your lifestyle. if you generally stay home all the time and have contact with few people, then perhaps the risks aren't as great for you. but like you said, you have no idea what people around you are carrying. i try not to think about it too much- it freaks me out. door handles especially freak me out- how many people have touched them before you and how many of them actually wash their hands regularly? i was in the store and watched a woman hack and cough all over a display. moments later someone else came along and picked up the items. our kids will get sick- it's inevitable. but it there's a way to prevent even the slightest chance of a deadly disease, i'm all for it.
I know this is an old question but I stumbled upon it and wanted to comment.

I vaccinated my firstborn until he was 12 months old, and then I stopped. He's now 10 and perfectly healthy. My other 4 children, aged 9, 6, 5, and 3, have had no vaccinations and are all perfectly healthy also. I'll probably get my oldest vaccinated now that he's much older.
Our child got the roto virus at 2 months old, it is a huge deal! She threw up more than she drank, had diarrea (diarrhea) at the same time, this went on for a week or so, we eventually got it and we held her as she threw up and pooped and we were on toilet ******** our brains out and throwing up in a trash can. she had to go to hospital for dehydration as we couild not keep fluids down her. we went to ped every day. she just had not got the vacc yet and contracted it from another kid at daycare. good luck if your kid ever gets it, I am talking about 2 diapers on kid 2 try 2 contain poop, pooping and shooting it across room as u r chainging poopie daipers and violently throwing up at same time. if u have week stomach u WILL throw up urself from smell of the death poop!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Big deal) my ***, HA)

.