Maternal & Child Community
Does dipping skoal cause low sperm count?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Does anyone know if dipping skoal causes low sperm count or slow mobility? Anyone have experience with IUI? Any advice? Thanks!
I don't know about causing low sperm but I know it does cause cancer.  Would probably be a good time to quit anyway since babies don't need parents who might die young.  It's a great motivational device ....( speaking as an ex-smoker)... imagining the kids watching that, then imitating you or whoever because you are their role model for everything.  Sorry if this isn't your question but you know how ex-smokers are..
my husband chews and his sperm count was higher than the drs office had ever seen 184 million and 84 percent motility..
Well I guess it's like this.  Some people can smoke and live to be 90 while others die from it in their 40's or 50's.  I know my doctor recommends that while ttc that nicotine just like alcohol, caffiene and other stuff should be cut out for both sexes to help in the conceiving process.  We also do others things to help like taking pre-natals and such.  If you are having a hard time ttc, it could be a factor.  It may not be too.  It has to be what you are willing to sacrifice for ttc.  Besides that we want to live long healthy lives for our kids and be there for them.  I hope the best for you.
Blessings!
Nicotine can have an adverse effect on sperm quality. This study involved smokers, but it looked at the effects of nicotine on male fertility:

http://www.buffalo.edu/news/fast-execute.cgi/article-page.html?article=60420009&hilite=sperm
sperm can be affected by skoal...nicotine.
my husband chews like crazy......he won't qiut he has 3 kids.
Yeah, I think the point is if your HAVING TROUBLE conceiving, then it would be best if your partner quits using tobacco. Women who abuse alcohol can have trouble conceiving, but I know a lot of drunks that manage to get pg.
Thanks everyone for your input. I'm asking these questions for a girl I work with. She's doing everything she can, I should say they are doing everything they can.
I've been on this site for some time, and I must say that it upset me to have people "get on me" the they did with this question. Yes, I am perfectly aware that smoking, & dipping causes cancer & it's not good for anyone to be around. I'm pretty sure EVERYONE knows this. I also know I have a husband who smokes & has for many, many years & as much as I'd love for him to stop, it's obviously a lot easier said than done.
I'm just embarrassed that I kept telling her how great a site this is & how much support, help, and answers she'd get from here & her first time to have me post a question she had a few responses jumping all over her.
To the one that gave the website, thank you very much. We printed it out & she's going to show it to her husband. She's a wonderful person & so is her husband & I hope they succeed real soon. They'd make wonderful parents, dipping husband or not.
I'm sure they would!! Tell your friend to ask her doctor or dh's doctor to order a semen analysis first. Chances are, his count, morphology, and motility are fine. If not, then stopping the tobacco use might help. Many times, dh can give the sample at home, and then it can be dropped off at the lab, saving him from the discomfort of giving one at the lab.

Tell her that I said good luck!
Oh wait, I guess if she's doing IUI, then they've already tested him, right? If his SA did come back abnormal, then quitting the dip could help. Also, my dh's first SA came back with low morphology and motility. He started taking a prostate blend, and the next SA was in the normal range! Don't know if that had anything to do with it, but it wouldn't hurt if her dh took it.
Thanks for the info. The SA did come back low in count & low mobility. She started him on a few different vitamins & the next time the count was up. (More than doubled) The IUI still didn't work though, so next week she's seeing a new doc. What was the prostate blend you gave your dh? I may pass that along to her also. Thanks so much for your replies!
It's called urinozinc, and I bought it at CVS. As it turns out, it contains many of the vitamins that my RE would later recommend, including vitamin E, C, zince, and selenium.

Also, on the info that my RE provided me, it mentions that vitamin C has been shown in several studies to improve motility in male smokers. Maybe she could try the vitamin C and see if he'll compromise by cutting back the skoal?
Thank you so much for your help! I will certainly mention it to her tomorrow. She has him on several vitamins & I'm not sure if that is one of them, but I'll make sure tomorrow. Once again, thanks so much for the help. We make post a few more questions for you soon. :) Have a good Thanksgiving!
You're welcome, and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your friend. I hope she has some good news for the new year!
it will affect your count because if you continue to chew you wil die of mouth cancer..
im a a teenager and im alittle addicted to skoal but havent seen any signs or anything yet but i want to do it once and a while ...does anyone know what the early signs of mouth cancer are so i can check once and a while..and please dont tell me how bad and unatractive it is and how it causes cancer cuz i know....just tell me what the signs are...
text me 256 706 6076 my name is kendra
somebody text me my number is 256 706 6076 im afraid for my health and need someone to talk to
if someone trys to text me today march 5 2009 i have no minutes untill 3 o clock so text me after that
Kendra, these posts are VERY old... the users are probably off the site and on with their lives...
I doubt someone will txt you when it's 10 times easier to post on here or send you a PM... what is what has you so worried?
Have you found Urinozinc anywhere else? Someone else suggested it to me as well but I don't have CVS stores around me.