Maternal & Child Community
Does exposure to computer almost 8 hours a day pose a risk to a pregnan...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Does exposure to computer almost 8 hours a day pose a risk to a pregnant woman and her unborn child?

I can't think of any possible reason why my son was born with a pulmonary valve stenosis (one type of congenital heart disease or CHD), after following all doctor's advise and taking great care of myself. My long awaited son is very much wanted, imagine waiting for almost 3 years to conceive, so obviously I won't do anything to hurt my baby. It so happen that my work requires me to sit in the front of a computer all day. I asked my OB about this but she is not that concerned so I assume that it's Okay for me to do so. My son is now 8 months, has been continuously monitored by a pedia-cardio. Does anyone have a child with CHD and can relate to me please?
I am sorry to hear this happened to your son, and hope it is something for which a treatment is known and available.  I knew a little girl who was born with what her mom just called a "hole in her heart" and she had it fixed when she was 3 with apparently not much trouble, and I sincerely hope for you and your son something like that is available.

In answer to your question, while I am not in a position to say that there is no connection, if you think about how many pregnant women in the world sit in front of computers all day, it seems that there would be epidemics of similar problems showing up in babies of all computer-using women, if that causes the problem.  
I dont think computers caused the problems but I am sorry to hear about that happening to your son. I worked on computers all day long designing websites while I was pregnant and it had no effect. Sometimes, even if you do everything right, things can be wrong with babies. Its not your fault.

I looked it up online and this is the information I got:

"Recently, a large study at Yale focused on the effects of EMF exposure on the growth rate of the unborn child (Bracken et al., 1995). These researchers obtained information about power frequency magnetic field exposure from power line and home sources. VDT use over 20 hours a week was not found to affect the weight or growth rate of the baby, nor did the mother's exposure to higher magnetic fields or to "high" field sources such as electrically heated beds.

In 1994, the National Radiological Protection Board (NRPB) of Great Britain invited an advisory group of scientists to review studies of possible health effects related to the use of VDTs (video display terminals). They concluded that there was "no good reason to suppose" that exposure to low frequency electromagnetic fields from the use of VDTs harms the unborn child."

Hope this helps some.
Unfortunately, you can do everything "right", and have a bad outcome.  Similarly, someone who uses drugs, smokes, and doesn't take care of herself or get prenatal care, can have a baby who is absolutely perfect.

Sometimes, its just one of those things.  Its very normal to want to assign a reason when a child is born with a problem.  Most of the time, its just not possible.