Maternal & Child Community
Don't Want Food

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Don't Want Food

I am getting concered about my eating. I am just about 15 weeks and I don't think I am eating enough. I am NOT starving myself at all. I am hungrey a lot, I just don't want anything. Nothing seems good. The only thing I want to eat are burgers and potatoes or mac n cheese. I know that's not healthy either. I just made laganga the other night and I didn't think it was that good, DH said it was very good. I had a piece and some garlic bread, but then I am hungry in like an hour and a half. I guess I could really use suggestions on other things to eat. I'm not really a veggie person, but I do drink the low sodium V8. Am I hurting our baby? DH actually said something to me last night about it. I was a picky eater to begin with. Now I guess I only "feel" like eating 4 different things.
i would think that you're fine. of course it's important to eat and try to eat healthy, but you can't force yourself with things you're not interested in. keep eating the 4 things you like - try to incorporate healthier foods in with them if you can (the v8 sounds good though). listen, through my sister's last pregnancy all she ate was haagen dazs and slurpees. she's dealing with shedding the pounds now, but the baby is fine Thank G-d. i wouldn't stress too much over it.
I wish I have that problem (LOL).  Don't worry about it, you bb is taking all the nutrients he/she needs.  Just make sure you take you prenatal and maybe calcium supplements.  I felt like that too but by the middle of my 2nd trimester, I was eating VERY WELL!
Dolly
I am the same way! I don't get hungry! And I am so tired of people saying you need to eat more, you need to eat more! The only thing I am craving right now is McDonalds! I want Mickey D's allllll the time! LOL! I usually love to eat okra and ate it the other night and it really disgusted me! Dh thinnks I am trying to watch my weight because I lost 40 pounds before I got prego and that is just not the case! I just think it is a part of pregnancy for us! I have only gained 3 pounds! I am also 15 weeks prego! I had gained 8 pounds and then lost 5 over the weekend and DH had a fit! Just hang in there! Hopefully we will get over it soon!
That's the thing though, I am hungry, I just don't eat. I wait until I am REALLY hungry to eat something. Mostly because I am trying to figure out what to eat. I have lost 8 lbs total. UGH! I always thought when I was pregnant I would have NO PROBLEM eating!
Yeah! Things just don't seem as appealing to some women when they are pregnant. A friend of mine told me to drink one of those nutrient drinks and see if I like them and maybe I can use those! I only get hungry when I can eat Mcdonalds  LOL!
Anyone know where I can get the Healthy Mom Shakes from? They were at Target, but I can't find them there anymore??
I am in the same boat as you, I get REALLY hungry and then when I fook to find something to eat, nothing looks good.  And then if I eat something (not because it looks good, but because I need to eat) I feel nausous, and then about a 1/2hr later I am starving again.  I don't remember being this way with ds, and I'm only 5wks 1day.  Well, good luck to you, I'm sure your baby will be just fine.
WHEN MY SIS WAS PREGO SHE COULD KEEP ANY THING DOWN AT ALL. THE DR PUT HER ON A STRICT CLEAR LIQUID DIET. FOR A WHILE SO DONT WORRY YOUR BODY IS GOING THROUGH A LOT OF CHANGES
I can tell you that you are OK. I am 22weeks prego and until 18 weeks I did not gain a single pound due to always being sick and not wanting to eat at all. I also spend time in the hospital and during my several hospital visits I did not eat sometimes for days due to surgeries etc. Doctor run a check and I had all the nutrients my body needed for the baby and he said that I do not need to force myself to eat, but I need to make sure that I am drinking fluids and take my pre-natal vitamins. And the baby is healthy and actually messured slightly bigger. So, my advise to you, do not force yourself! Just hope that once your appetite comes back you are able tto control it. I know feel like I want to eat just about everything, but I am able to control my cravings! Good luck.
i'm still in the throes of morning sickness, have lost 15 lbs and live on saltines and gatorade. i'm told that cravings will come and go the entire time, so relax and eat what you like for now.
Don't you hate it when the system doubles your post?

Sorry, I just hate it when computers get retarded on me.
I feel the same way a lot of the time. I will be 20 weeks tomorrow, and still usually can''t find anything that sounds good to eat. I do get hungry often though. Just eat what sounds good, and make sure you take your vitamins. Your baby is not going to starve as long as you eat when you're hungry. I eat really wierd things like plain yogurt with wheat thins, but I know it's healthy even if noone else would probably eat it. I also eat tasty treats like frozen raspberries, and other fresh fruits. I have little interest in meat, and have never been a milk drinker, so I rely on yogurt, and ice cream for protein and calcium. Good excuse for the ice cream, huh?
I agree with everyone here, don't stress.  I'm 9 weeks 6 days and can never find anything that sounds good either.  The good thing is that you are eating, even if it's the same thing at least you are getting food in.  I didn't gain with my son till 20 weeks and was just fine.  I actually would drink slim fast shakes with my son and add in fruit and mix it in the blender with ice to make it like a thick shake.  It was good because there are so many nutrients in there.  I didn't replace meals, but that was all I could handle in the morning.  I did run it by my Dr. though and at least I was getting something down in the morning.  Right now I'm still eating crackers, but all you can do is try and really you only need an extra 300 calories a day for your baby because they are so small.  Just take your vitamins and try and throw in those veggies and fruits when you can, you'll be fine!
Ha ha to above post!

I agree...with everyone of my pregnancies I can't get enough MacDonalds...(guilty smile)! I just LOVE Big Macs!

Luv_babies: I know exactly what you mean about leaving it until your starving and then eating something (not necessarily healthy) and then feeling full. And also how about that waiting until you're starving thing because you're trying to figure out what will stave your appetite??? It sounds like we all understand this!!!

Someone here said as long as you take your pre-natal vitamins...I agree there. Eat smaller meals so you don't feel sick and seriously - just eat what you want - your body tells you what it's craving and it's probably because there's something in it that your body needs. Don't feel like your starving yourself though, your body will also give the baby what it needs first!
I'm in the same boat as you are, as far as being a picky eater. I don't really eat veggies, so I'm having to drink V8-Fusion (the Strawberry Banana is the only one I can stand) to get my fruit and veggie nutrition. I do take prenatal vitamins, as well as a seperate Folic Acid tablet (both from my dr).

As far as eating, my appetite comes and goes. Some days I have a HARD time finding anything remotely appealing. Even things I usually love...
I figure if I can eat a healty meal at least every other day, then my baby should be alright...and I drink plenty of fluids.
I read that as long as you are getting plenty of fluids, and you don't go for a VERY long period with nothing to eat, then your baby should be OK. But going too long with absolutely NO food (like 24 hours) or fluids could possibly cause a miscarriage. So at least you're getting SOMETHING in your stomach...
I think you'll be fine, and so will the baby.

Other things to eat? Here are some things I've been eating...maybe not the healthiest, but at least it will give you some more variety (if you even like these things).

-Baked Potato (with some cheese and bacon crumbles on top?)
-Baked Lays and Quaker Caramel Rice Cakes (not exactly full of nutrition, but this was suggested by a friend, and they're really good to snack on...and healthier than cookies, etc!)
-Vegetable soup (I don't eat the veggies, but I eat the potatos in it, and I load it up with crackers)
-Cinammon Toast Eggo Waffles
-Fruit flavored Cheerios
-Scrambled eggs (I will only eat these if they have ham chopped up in them) This is probably the BEST thing you can eat if you don't feel like eating anything ELSE because they provide a LOT of the nutrients your baby needs.
-I don't drink plain milk, so I mix it with Strawberry Quik
-I bought some TANG to drink because it is full of Vit. C and Calcium. (I don't drink plain old orange juice! :-)
-Cheese toast (I use the Whole Grain bread that is WHITE, because I can't stand Whole Grain bread)
-Lastly, I'm from the south, so we have Quaker Instant Grits here...not sure where you're from, so don't know if this will help. Grits are high in iron, so one small pack will provide a lot of good stuff for your baby. And they're good because it's such a small amount, that I can usually make myself eat it no matter how bad I feel. I'm not usually a big "grits" person, but I'm just sucking it up for the baby! LOL :-)

Hope these ideas help, and Good luck!

One more thing, since you don't eat vegetables...do you eat Spaghettio's?
They have the equivalent of one full serving of veggies...so if you eat the whole can, that's two servings of veggies down!

Plus they have calcium and other vitamins that your baby needs right now. So if you can get the appetite long enough, you should try to eat some! :-)
WOW! I didn't know that spaghettios had a full serving of veggies in them! I'm from Wisconsin, but we do have grits here. Never had them. Thanks for all the suggestions. I will have to print this and keep it on the fridge or something. I will definately do the spaghettios thing! Thanks a bunch! I think my mind also got "stuck" and I couldn't even think of other things to eat. I think you saved me! :)
Yeah, the Spaghettio's thing surprised me, too. I just happened to buy a can one day in case I was desperately needing something quick to eat. I didn't even read the can until I was cooking them! It was a pleasant surprise! :-)

As for the grits thing, a LOT of people don't like them. To be honest, I don't even cook them in the microwave or anything. I just open the pack and pour it into a coffee mug, run the tap water as hot as it will get, then add water to the grits. And I have to have a good amount of water in them too, because if they are too thick, I can't eat them. And I only eat the ham flavored kind. You may want to try the cheese flavor if you're new to grits. Plain ones are just plain yucky, and you may not like the ham ones! Personally, I'm not even usually a breakfast person, so it has been hard getting up early enough to make sure I have time to eat in the am!

Anyway, if you find anything else to add to the food list, by all means let me know! hope2oneday at aol...LOL I can use all the help I can get, too! :-)

Oh I laughed so hard when I read your post!! You sound exactly like me!! I know when I am starting to get hungry and I start searching for food then. NOTHING EVER SOUNDS GOOD THOUGH!! Well, nothing except french fries!!! I drive DH nuts night after night about dinner. I'm hungry, I know I have to eat...but I don't want ANYTHING!!!! It gets so frustrating. By the time I finally think of something that sounds halfway decent..I am starving, and eat too much, or too fast, and make myself sick!!! Oh it is a vicious cycle!
I think almost every single pregnant woman in the world could relate to you. There are times that nothing sounds good and in a few months everything sounds good.  Only suggestion is to make sure you take your prenatal vitamins.  These are helpfully for most all of us who aren't exactly great about what we eat on a daily bases. Heck, if I could get away with eating pizza and ice cream every day I probably would.  Try to keep my 19 month old on a good diet is the only thing that saves me.
or u culd also cook the gritz like if you were making oatmeal wit vanilla flavoring sugar and cinnamon and dont worry i am 17 and 4 months pregnant and feel the same way though its getting better though usually some days im just staring at the stuff in the fridge or cabinets deciding what to eat and when i dont find anything i sit and watch t.v. then after i while i do the same thing over agen then finally jus decide on eating cereal