Maternal & Child Community
Dont understand

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Dont understand

Okay, I dont mean to sound negitive and I know we are all here to help one another, but one thing I don't understand is why on a daily basis do people continue to post questions like " Am I pregnant." I would like to make a request that before you post these questions you take a HPT first. IF you dont know your body well enough, how do you expect a group of strangers too? I know this is a little harsh, but everyday I see questions about pregnancy that are real but there are never any open forums left because of questions like am I pregnant. We are not doctors and just because you have certain symtoms (symptoms) going on, why do you think it is pregnancy? PLEASE PLEASE take a HPT and or call your doctor......we are here to support one another but by no means if you dont even know your pregnant should you be wasting the space of someone who is. Again, I know this is is harsh but it took me almost 14 years to become pregnant, even though I thought I was 100 times over but you can find out very quickly if you are or if your not just by peeing on a stick (or some cases having bloood work done, which only takes 24 hours).
I agree with you. I really think that people could get the questions answered if they would search the site a little more. Pregnancy and AF symptoms are JUST ALIKE!!! They are twins, I've learned that the hard way.
I agree, it's an ongoing battle.

When you point that out directly to them, the people involved will say "I'm just looking for opinions" as if OPINIONS mean anything.  Then they get mad.

So it's pointless.  They will still ask anyway.  I don't understand it either.
just a thought! there could be some young women asking the question because they are scared or just have no clue and they don't know any other way to get a little advice. they might be scared to take a test or don't have insurance to go to a doctor so they are just looking for someone to talk to anonymously. just a thought
I am actually a bit surprised at this, and disappointed. This IS a TTC forum. Some of us have situaions that do not fit the "norm". I am one of those. I originally came on this site for help and support b/c I didn't know or understand what was going on and I was looking for others who went thru the same thing. I know that I get tired of posting the same answers to almost identical questions, but everyone's stories vary a little bit. That is why we ask. I DO research a lot, and have went back on this site to I think '97 for answers. But like I said, one situation  is different from another. People post questions like "am I pregnant" b/c they're confused or scared. We look for those extreme cases where one could still be pregnant after they thought they m/c or having a BFN for quiet some time. That is what gives some of us hope who are going thru a hard time. Plus, look at all the implantation bleeding questions. Everyone has had a different implantation experience and we share that in our answers.

I myself have been in quiet a strange situation. I know that I annoyed some of you, I put in my post yesterday that I was tired of whining about this, but..... I was looking for someone with a different insight on my situation. FYI I found out that yes, I am getting BFP's as of 2 nights ago. I took another HPT early this morning, and got another +. But this morning after an hour or so, I start having bad AF cramps and I'm starting to spot. So I guess after all those annoying questions I posted, I realized that I'm having a chemical pg. That means that I didn't have AF after my D&C from 8 weeks ago, and I got pg somewhere in between. And, yes, I took many HPT's, got bloodwork done, even got a false PREGNANT on a digital a couple weeks ago. I was looking for someone else's opinion. And I have been thru this enough times. If you include this pg, then that makes it 6 times that i've been pg, 2 children. But, I've never been in this recent type of situation before.

And stephd, I read your posts from yesterday. I noticed how you seemed to get a little offended about replies you were getting about O'ing and CM, as you said that you don't like to post questions that may seem stupid. There are no stupid questions. We've all been thru bad times and we sometimes don't think straight. So, I'm a bit surprised at your reply today as well.

I'm out. Good luck all.
I'm surprised at all of the above but the last two. This forum is up everyday and we all have questions and need support! these people either aren't getting the support they need at home or are scared. Be alittle more sensitive. There's plenty of days for you to try and post a question. We all have questions......you all should be more supportive. We are with your stupid questions.
oops!!! I mean we all help each other, even if there stupid questions. Sorry....My son distracted me. :)
Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed? You sound vicious today. What did these sweet girls do to you? Have a heart.....compassion!
Liek i said in my above post, people should search the site first and look for answers. Any question you could think of has been asked a million times!. If they can't find the answer the post a question. I'm guilty of doing this myself but maybe we can all learn from this forum.
I'm confused about your comment on this being a "pregnancy abnormal forum".   That is not what the entire "Maternal & Child" forum is, just this particular thread that you chose as a topic.  I think I'm just confused about your point on the topic area.  Some people do chose Trying to Conceive as a topic area for their posts.
I am sorry that I did NOT see that the topic said pregnancy abnormal. My bad. But there are a lot of TTC that use maternal health or whatever it's called b/c we've recently been pg and lost it and are TTC again. When I post a question, I do put it under trying to conceive topic area. Maybe I should've been more clear on that.

IF you read my post, it is not that easy sometimes to just pee on a stick and get a quick answer, or have bloodwork done that takes only 24 hours. I've peed on many sticks and got negatives. I've gotten bloodwork, and it was negative. I kept feeling like AF was coming. I was confused myself. But it ends up that I was pg, just took too long to implant for the hcg to show.

I've got many stories from the past that I use to share with those that don't understand what's going on, or who may not know what pg symptoms are. Plus, keep in mind that evaporation lines are confusing to a lot of people, including myself. So peeing on a stick is not always so easy.

There are various reasons why people don't take a test. Like it was stated above, health insurance, money, age, etc.

And I love to read stories about people who don't know if they are pg or not, then update us on saying that they are.

Like I said, I'm just really disappointed at some people's insensitive opinions. We are here to support each other, not to badger (sp?) each other.
Thank you for correcting us. I was the one who said TTC forum, I meant thread. I couldn't think of the word at that particular moment.
But don't you see that wasting time here asking what people think is irrelevant to their situtation?  It would be one thing if the girls said "I need support".  They don't.  They ask "Am I pregnant"?

There is one and only one responsible answer to that question, which is to either take a hpt at the appropriate time, or to see their doctor if they don't understand the result or are confused.  1 million "opinions" or stories of miracle babies don't change that.  

Songbird, I read all your posts.  You really needed to see your doctor rather than take all those cheap internet tests.  One simple blood test could have cleared it up immediately, and you wouldn't have gone through all the heartache and days of confusion that you did.  I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, I don't mean it too.  One test would have done it, but you tortured yourself here day after day, asking for opinion and "support".

I want everyone to get the answer they are looking for, and the AM I PREGNANT posts will continue anyway.  But please don't give these frightened girls false hope or dispair by telling them "what you think". Its irrelevant.  Tell them what to do, which is to take a pregnancy test.  Then we can offer them all the support in the world.
Some of the girls might be new here but Cindy has been explicit about members NOT asking the "Am I Pregnant?" question. Personally, I think it's quite annoying too. I simply can't comprehend the logic in asking a group of stangers- most of whom have no medical backround- if one is pregnant! If a doctor can't tell you if you're pregnant without a urine or blood test, how in the world do you think that we here on this internet forum can give you the answers?!!!! Urghhhhh!!!!!
I just wanted to mention that everyone here doesn't have access to dollar stores. If you get to know some of these women, some live in Canada and they don't have dollar stores out there. Just try and be nicer about these things. Not everything is so simple. Maybe for you....
So we tell them, take a HPT or see your doctor.  Then come back and talk if they want to about the result.  

But it does block others from asking an important question about cervical mucus or something.  So that's why it is a tad annoying, and why Cindy (the site owner) does NOT want people asking that AM I PREGNANT question.
I am on edge a little today as well. My babies woke me up way too early this morning only for me to find out the inevitable's happening. But it is a beautiful friday and I'm trying to not get down.

I know I've asked stupid repetitive questions over and over again. I jumped in your questions, as you've jumped in mine. There are some questions that I refuse to answer (again). I found myself thinking in the last couple days that someone else already asked that particular question and there were replies. But everyone does have a different situation. One person is one birth control pill, and may think they got pg. I know I've gotten pg a couple times on the pill. I think the majority of 'am i pg' questions tie a lot with implantation bleeding questions as well. I know that we do reply back a lot saying take a hpt or call the dr or wait a couple more days. I've replied that way and others have replied back the same to me. But sometimes, we don't think straight when we are stressed or freaked out. I know I've freaked out a LOT in the last few weeks.

I just want to drop this arguement that we are all having right now and enjoy the rest of the day. Catlyd (sorry for butchering your name) just came off on me the wrong way. It wasn't that clear as to what she was upset with. But we can't be negative like this about others.

I do enjoy reading up on everyone's stories and updates. That's why I come on here daily. It's nice to have a support group that understands where you're coming from.
That was sarcasm.
  Those ?s annoy me too, but since the site seems to be 99% TTCers, I've given up fighting them.
btw, as i was trying to get out of this arguement, if you read all my posts, i did say that i went for bloodwork early last week and it was negative. but i knew something wasn't right, and i verified that the other night. plus i didn't know if i could go see the dr b/c my insurance is running out or already ran out. i do not normally have health insurance, i got it thru the state from my previous pg. you see, i waitress and support a family of 4 while my dh is in school. so i cannot afford to always go to the dr's.

and for cat, as for money and age, was it that funny for you when you were a teenager and missed your period?? i know i had scares back then. i didn't know dollar stores even had pg tests until recently thru this board. i didn't always have access to hpt when i was younger. some of these people might be in the same boat.

It can only help to get the facts, and encourage them to come back when they know.  Conjecture, guessing, opinions..it is all the same.  Only a test will tell.

Best of luck to you in your efforts.
Well, I am sure happy I didnt ask my stupid question for the day then. I would have gotten torn apart!!! Some questions might seem easily answered to you, but to some people out there w/o the proper education on subjects, or support, a person they can turn to, they find this forum! Some girls dont know the signs of pg. Maybe they just need someone to talk to. Maybe they dont know where to go to find info...hence they come here and ask for help. Its so funny that you posted your comment today because I woke up this morning and was going to ask, do you start counting your cycle from first day OF AF or first day AFTER AF. I know it has been answered many many times before, but it was just a quick question that I needed answered. I didnt really think to "search" for the answer. And I agree. Everyone has a little different story. This site is for SUPPORT! It helped tremendoulsy throughout my m/c. And I keep coming back because of the updates, and the new advice, especially now that I am TTC. You cant judge others. They may not have the resources you do. Especially the young girls who have nowhere to go. I would be scared to death to buy and take a pg test when I was living at home!! What if someone found it!? All I am tryin to say is that you dont know everyones situation. Have alittle patience and understanding.
i'm glad this came up. i've read some of your posts and you seem smart. heres my ? for you- my right boob is sore...not all over, but around the outside and my nipples are tingly. they were erect this morning, but then i realized the thermostat was on 60. also, ive got more mucus...not cervical, but in my nose. tons of it, i tell you. im going thru kleenex faster than i am hpts. oh, and my belly button has more fuzz in it than normal, and my left big toe looks smaller. what do you think?
MY POINT IS NOT EVERYONE HAS THE MEANS OR THE RESOURCES TO DO WHAT YOU DID. YOU CAN HAVE A MILLION ANSWERS FOR THAT...BUT THE FACT OF THE MATTER IS IT IS TRUE!
But it still won't help them to tell them what you THINK.  No matter if they have no money and no where to turn.  We can't tell them from here if they are or aren't.

The only answer is to take a test.  Regardless of whether mom or dad may find it, or whatever.  A test has to be taken.  Once they know for sure, we can all be as supportive as the day is long.  

Cindy has asked in the past that this particular question not be asked.  It always will be, regardless.  Lets all continue to tell people who are not sure if they are or aren't, to seek out proper testing and care to find out for sure.  I think we all agree on that.

You might be pregnant.  Take a test to be sure.  Then come back and I'll personally give you a hug you won't forget.  You'll need Kleenex afterwards.

(thanks for making my day, nick) Put on your suit of armor and get ready to take some bullets with me.
Did anyone read today's quote? Ironic...!! Yea, I agree the "am I pregnant?" question is a little frustrating.

I think people are looking for confirmation of what they already suspect.

The point is we are all just trying to get immediate information that may not be available at the moment.

Good luck to all of you TTC
so like, i'm out of here for the day. this is going nowhere, and will drag out all day if we let it. i'll check back tomorrow and maybe i'll have a good update for all of you. oh, i took a first response yesterday before i left for work in the afternnon that confirmed i am/was pg. right now i just want to hope for the best.

have a great friday everyone!!!
Just so some people are aware I personally have had several experiences with the false hood to this statements! I have taken test after test with and I will use a confirmed example so as not to confuse you, my daughter who was born in dec  2007, i never showed pregnant on HPT, and my levels would slowly raise and very quickly drop, and i had to take medicine and moniter hcg levels, bc i kept trying to miscarry her, according to several tests during my pregnancy i had to have ultrasounds done to make sure heart was still beating bc i was " not pregnant according to hcg quanitive study", however with high risk care, careful monitoring on my part, lots of begging and pleading with emergency rooms, many trips, lots of bed rest, careful eating, knowing my body, loads of research, and constant testing of blood levels, and brethine to stop the contractions from 8 wks on , i was able to deliver a healthy baby girl on dec 7 2007!!!!!!   I do hope this helps!!  however i had another experience recently, knew i was pregnant, got a faint line post on hpt went to my pysc dr he tookme off meds, i started hurting felt like i had a uti so i took some bactrim i had left over till i could get to dr... 2 days later, i get phone call from pcp my thyriod is off wants to increase my meds to double and wants to come do a ua since im having pain and my hcg levels were neg but wont tell me what they were, i wait up there nearly 3 hrs, she has to look up what i can take... have severe uti/ bladder infection... normally always gives bactrim either 500, or 800... this time gave cipro... and norm write me the scrip this time she called it in, so i dont know y she made me wait.. made no since, since i didnt have appt, just needed to do ua... i go pick up meds, start new meds, next morn i wake up severe pain in ribs down into hip over pelvic area.. go to e.r. tell them am pg 6 wks hcg levels bottom out, need utrasound to ck for heartbeat, about uti/ bladder infection, cipro, levothyroxine 50mg , and the new pain, they have me do 3 cups of UA during my stay, first 2 were very hard to do and dark, last was easy and bright, they do a pelvic, next they come back and tell me i have BV and perscribe metrogel 7% ,they do not explain pain, oprder u.s. and they tell me that i am not pregnant by hcg quanoitve study, i am devastated, i get home go to bed , wake up the next morn swollen and bleeding, throught out that day i am just lightly bleeding, i get the meterogel filled that night i put it in at 1 am, by 2 i bleeding bad and passing clots, by 6 pm it slows, i got to er, get diagnosed with dysfuctional uterine bleeding and told yet again that i am not pregnant by hcg levels, he does a pelvic exam, and does somethin inside on the right that hurt really bad, perscribed orthro novum 1/50 3x day 7 days follow with ob/gyn asap, by 10 pm i passed what according to the images on the internet and the pics i took was a intact 6 week fetus, which matches with what i had thought and told the drs, i did not show on any tests except funnily on a few home tests, so i do not know what happend, but i am devastated that i could get no one not even the doctors to beleive me , when i have a history of this, medically documented!!!