Maternal & Child Community
Doula's?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Doula's?

I am wondering if anyone has had a doula at their childs birth. I think I want to look into it, because I am going to be delivering this baby alone. I dont know if I can handle it by myself. I had a scheduled c-section date (by choice) because I had a previous one. So if you can share your experience with a doula I would really appreciate it.
I had a doula at my dd's birth. I went the natural child birth route, so it was great to have someone there supporting me and my husband. She kept me as calm as possible, since I had no drugs. She helped to remind me of breathing techniques we had gone over, but did not get in the way of my husbands role, she simply aided him, which is basically what they are for. She also helped me with the first breast feeding. I am not sure what is protocol for most doula's, but I have always thought they were more for 'natural births', as I have never heard of one attending a scheduled c-section. If you are worried about being alone, (I'm assuming the father is not around?? sorry if I am reading that wrong) is there someone in your family that could be there with you, mom, sis, cousin, etc? Doula's can get expensive, (over $425 for us, not covered by insurance, out of pocket) and it might be a lot to pay someone just to be in the room with you, (my guess is there will be lots of nurses in the room as well to talk you through it)..Although you may be able to find a doula who is in a position to do that. My impression was that their job is to help you and mostly your partner, to work through labor. I had a wonderful experience with mine, and I hope if you decide to have one, you are able to find one that is just as wonderful for you! And I hope you do have wonderful family that is there to support you as well! Good luck!