Maternal & Child Community
Downs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Downs

I'm a 23 yr. old & 17 weeks pregnant. Doctor called me with an abnormal Quad screening result (1:177) for Downs. Should I be worried? I'm scheduling a 2nd level US for next week - would the results be accurate @ 18 weeks? The amnio procedure is out of the question for me!

How accurate is the 2nd level US...What could make an abnormal screening result a false positive?
Has anyone gotten a abnormal screening test and later confirmed with an us?

I got an abnormal reading with my first child. Scared me to death! Then I found out this test is only like 50% accurate. I don't know why they give that stupid test. I told the doctor with my third baby that I didn't even want to know. If it had Downs Syndrome then I'd deal with it. I wouldn't abort it or anything. I'd take whatever God wanted to bless me with. Downs Syndrome children are some of the sweetest, loving children I've ever seen. Now that I've had friends with children with that, it doesn't scare me so much.
I did do the amnio to put my mind to rest. It also showed my I was having a boy! This was 19 years ago. They didn't have as good of ultrasounds as they do today.
Try not to worry too much. Excess stress isn't good for the baby either. I'm sure everything will be fine. You're young and healthy. Just try and focus on all the positves until you can see your doctor again.
Hugs and prayers!
With my first baby 5.5 years ago I had the quad screen.  Came back with positive markers for Downs.  I had the level 2 u/s with a perinatologist who measured all of baby's parts and thought that things looked OK, although she couldn't be 100% sure without amnio.  I opted not to have any other procedure and my baby was perfect!  With my second baby I had the first trimester screen done.  Again, I got results indicating a higher risk for Downs.  I followed the same route I did with my first baby, and thankfully he is perfect, too!

Remember that the quad test is not a definitive test, nor is u/s.  The quad can only indicate a higher chance of risk, and it does have a high rate of 'false positive.'  The u/s cannot confirm abnormalities like Downs-the only things that can do that are CVS in the trimester and later amnio.

I would say to relax right now.  When you have the next u/s, the doctor will be able to tell you his/her medical opinion, based upon measurement of baby, as to the liklihood of your baby having issues like Downs.  I know you say amnio is out of the question for you, so be prepared to live with the wondering and worrying for the next 23 weeks.  I didn't want amnio, either, and my doctor thought both times that the babies were OK.  But I still didn't know for sure, and I still worried about it until the babies were born.

Good luck to you.
A 1:177 chance of down's also means a 99.4% chance of having a normal baby.