Maternal & Child Community
Dr just diagnosed me with PCOS....why do I feel so sad??? OPEN FORUM

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I had my annual exam with my gyno and told her we are now ttc, but my cycles are very long so I was concerned.  She did a blood panel and told me yesterday that I have PCOS and prescribed me Metformin.  I was really sad and cried on the way home after she talked to me.  It seemed kind of rash, but maybe it isn't?  I feel defective or something like I am not operating normally as a woman.  Do I still have a good chance of getting pregnant?  Has anyone had experiences with PCOS and/or Metformin?????
I know excatly how you feel. My doctor told me I had PCOS when I was 23 (now 29). I cried so hard! It does make you feel abnormal.

I am not sure if you have any of the side effects of PCOS (weight around your stomach, abnormal hair growth, hard time getting pregnant) but I had them all. My doctor told me that PCOS does not have a cure, but I could help reduce the symtoms (symptoms) if I lost weight. I am not sure if your overweight or not, but I am 5' 6 and weighed 285 pounds. It took me a while to get off my butt (like 2 years) but finally I decided to do something about it. I started working out and at only 20 grams of fat a day. Within 14 months I was down to 175 pounds and finally pregnant!!!!! I have been with my spouse since I was 18 and lost all hope of ever getting pregnant. Within months of losing the first 80 pounds my periods were normal 28 day cycles, and 2 months later I was pregnant for the first time ever. SO please sweety, dont give up hope.

Even though you have it things still can work out
Thank you for your words of encouragement....I have the irregular cycles, one or two few hairs of abnormal hair growth, but I am not that much overweight.  I am a size 6 when I should be a size 4 for my height.  But she said my LH/FSH ratio level was greater than 3:1 so she said from that, she diagnosed me.  I do gain my weight around the middle, but I had thought that was just because of my genes, but maybe it was this.  So you never went on any medication?
I was on metformin but it made me really sick so I stopped taking it, It made me vomit. My dr said it had that effect on some people. But on the flip side it also helps you lose weight. But I was getting sick way to often (maybe thats how it helps you lose weight) :)
I was also diagnosed with PCOS almost a year ago...and I have been ttc for 2 years and I was put on metformin and clomid.  we got pregnant on our 3rd cycle with clomid but we m/c...now they want me to wait b/c my cycles are not regular after the polyp removal surgery and I am creating cysts w/o meds...I have read many success stories of women with our condition although i am not ready to try again I still have hope one day I will be posting my success story...good luck and do not give up, it is a manageable condition. xoxoxo
I havne't been officially diagnosed with PCOS, although my RE is now treating me as if I do have it.  I went to the RE after my 2nd m/c in 2006 - did all the usual tests, found out I have MTHFR mutuation, but my levels there are fine.  Also found out my isulin is really really high and my glucose is high for my insulin being so high.  I think insulin should be under 17 and mine was 34.  I am overweight (5'8 and 225ish) and have recently starting gaining it around the middle.  I have always had regular cycles though, I think that is why no official diagnosis, but treating me like I do have it now.  I just started metformin (fortament) in November and now am on first round of clomid with ovidrel shot.  I'm currently in tww.  Had 3 mc last year and really hoping this will do the trick!  I want to be a mommy so bad and can't stand the thought of it never happening for me.  I can get pg fairly easily, it's the staying pg I have problems with.  I'm crossing my fingers that all these meds will work for me - I assume I'll be on progesterone after I conceive as well.  Good luck and don't get discouraged.  God only gives us what we can handle, so you will get thru this!
I was Dx with PCOS in 2005.  I have been TTC since my DH and I got married (1year 1/2).  I am 5'3 and weigh 110 lbs.  I lost about 20 lbs six months before my wedding because I started working out, etc.  I never knew I had PCOS until 6 months after being married. I have always had irregular cycles and I went off BC around the time of my wedding. At first, I thought it was because I lost 20-25 lbs in 3 months and also because I had been on the pill for 8 years.  My DR did a blood panel and she told me suspected I have PCOS, even though I didnt have all the symptoms.  She told me because i was a healthy weight it was good for TTC.  I went on Clomid for 3 cycles (starting 50mg up to 150mg) with no luck- and boy did the Clomid make me hormonal.   After six months of no luck I asked for a referral to a Reproductive Endocrinlogist this past summer.  He did a glucose challenge test, HSG and few other tests and Dx me with PCOS. He put me on metformin for 1 month w/ no fertility medication. He explained to me that the clomid was only doing half the job before.  I was ovulating, but my eggs were not off good quality because of my insulin.  If you read up on PCOS, it will tell you about how it effects how your body stores insulin and that we are at-risk of becoming diabetics.  Well, my first treatment cycle on metformin and clomid/50mg and a ovidrel shot(hcg), I got pregnant in October.  Unfortunetly, I had a miscarriage at 7weeks in November. It was so painful to deal with, but my DH and choose not to give up.  I ended up getting pregt again in December (2 wks after my m/c) with no fertility medication before my next period was due.  I am now almost 8weeks and so far the pregnancy is progressing well. We seen the HB at 6w6d and my HCG levels were on-track. I am praying everyday for this miracle. I know how hard it is to concieve (conceive) w/ PCOS and I encourage anyone who thinks they have it to talk to their DR right away about options, treatment and success stories.  Let me know if you ever need any information. I have done alot of research on our condition. Best of luck!
I have been dealing with PCOS for 10 years, I am now 31 and feel ready to do something about it.  Like others the glucophage made me sick to the point where i would stop taking it.  I went to a specialist 2 weeks ago and he has put me on a low carb diet and birth control pills for 6 months and then we will start on clomid.  I just wanted you to know I know how you feel.  Crying about this affliction has been a normal thing for me.  Keep your head up and stay positive.