Drug Testing children for exposure to 2nd hand smoke: pot and crack
Can someone tell me if a drug test on childern can show exposure to drugs like pot or crack cocanie by the mother or others doing it around the childern.  My Sons X and her new boyrfriend is doing both around my two grandsons age 3yrs and 7 months?  Everytime my Son picks the 3 year old up from her for the weekend he is sick until mid Saturday and is also very congested.  Concerned Nana
hi
if i was you i would definetly test those babies....i would think that it might show up. plus what could it hurt? if u don't get a positive result and u still believe in your heart that it is going on take them to a doctor.
If you truly believe that your grandchildren are being exposed to drugs like these, you (and your son) have every right to fight for these kids. I realize that we are talking about the children's mom, but there is obviously a situation here that needs intervention. If it were my grandchild, I wouldn't wait another split second.
Hope all turns out well. Children don't deserve to be around this.

Truthfully, I dont see even through exposure to the smoke of pot that anything would come back positive for testing with the children.. Urine tests,blood tests for drugs would need for the person to consume or smoke it themselves..
The only thing I would suggest would be if you definetly know if they are doing it one night is to call the police..or A CHildren Aid society. BUT i dont know what the outcome would be for your son or his children. Who has custody??
I have been trying to get them away: I have followed the rules in our state.  I have made several trips to DSS for help and got no where?  Last month it was a close call, they put them in our protective custody for about 2 hours but it back fired when the soical worker sided with the mom after she interviewed her and her mother who both lied to the Soical worker. Even thought I had informed the soical worker that they both do drugs, they put them in the protective custody of her mother (a druggie who lost her own kids 20 years ago due to drug use). she them came back and told us to give them to the mother and when we said we would not give them up she forced us to. Recently I wrote a e-mail letter to the sheriff ,I have gone to the local sheriff department many times but no help. I got an next day responce but and there hands are tied without busting her and they need proof or witnessing her doing it. But, they are currently targeting the crack houses she visits and hope to catch her in a sting.  All last week the kids were at a crack house and my Son didn't get his oldest Son until Friday is regular time allowed by her and he was sick and so dehydrated that we had to take him to urgent care and get an IV while they were at it as informed them they needed to do a drug screen and hopefully tomorrow we will know the results for now he had to return them to there Mom.  She is very bad news.
I wouldn't mess with the agencies or the sheriff dept any longer.  I would go straight to my governor or congressman for help.  I would print out all the newspaper articles at the library that show children being abused, killed, neglected, etc. get together statistics etc. and fight like hell to get those kids.  I would also drive by the house when they are with their mother and as soon as she left I would follow her.  When I saw her take those kids in a crack house - wammie- I would call that cops and be right there to take those kids with me.  Use a friends car if you have to and disguise yourself so she does not see you - do whatever it takes and get those kids out of there before you are on T.V. crying that they are gone and you could do nothing about it.  God bless you.  Fight like you mean it, don't let anything get you down. I will pray for a happy ending to this horrible situation.
There is tests to see if the kids have been around drugs, through the air. They take a hair sample, from the root. My parents friend went through something like this. The only way they could prove she was doing crack was to test the kids hair roots. She lost them and also went to jail.
ni
they can test by hair!!!!!
Its Friday one week later and Zacks 3rd birthday, we have had him all week but not the baby! No word on the drug test yet?  I can't do a hair one because she cut (shaved)it real short.  We called the police on Monday when she was at the house but they did nothing. Im going to have to hire a private detective.
We are going through the same thing with my sons wife (they are not together though)  she is 4 months pregnant with another mans baby and is smoking pot everyday.  We  are worried about my two grandchildren ages 2 1/2 and 1 1/2.  they are inside all day with their mom.  We are first starting out with the at home drug test which states that if they have been around second hand drug smoke within 24 to 48 hours it could test positive.  My son is going to take the children for their immunizations and request from the doctor that a drug test be done on both of them.  which will most likely be a blood test which is more accurate anyways.  But at that point if they are positive the doctor is obligated to contact cps and the children would be removed from her presence.  I know for a fact that the first thing they want to do is put the children in foster care but if there is other family members that want those children then those family members get drug tested and as long as it is negative that is where the children will go.  Don't let this slide because once drugs are involved in a childs life physical abuse normally follows.  I have seen it first hand with a two month old that ended up with 28 fractures in her tiny little body and almost died.  If the grandparents or other family members had been involved sooner it would not have gone that far.  Thankfully now she has been adopted by other family members and is doing very well.  Both parents went to prison.