Maternal & Child Community
Early pregnancy and Cramps

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Early pregnancy and Cramps

I am newly pregnant (only 4 weeks) and am having some cramping. I miscarried at 5+ weeks in May due to low progesterone. I had cramps then as well before I knew for sure I was pregnant. Has anyone else experienced AF cramps in the early pregnancy? I really want to keep this one going but am very scared. I am also on 200mg of Prometrium and my progesterone level seems to be ok. I am still waiting to find out about my HCG levels because the lab misplaced my blood or something so I had to take a new test yesterday and won't know until Tuesday where I am really at. I took another HPT today just to see and it says I am still pregnant. I know many people suffer multiple miscarriages and then go on to having healthy babies but I am really scared. I am not sure I have what it takes to try and try. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
first of all, congratulations!!!  someone just posted on here recently that they were having af type cramps.  I think it is pretty common.  I had a light af the first month I was preggers with my son so I thought I wasnt pregnant!  After that my pregnancy with him was uneventful.  I think you will be fine, try not to worry too much, (I know its much easier said than done) you need to take care of yourself and try to remain calm for the baby.  Good luck and baby dust to you!
Congratulations.

I had the same worries when I first discovered I was pregnant. AF cramping for a few days, then they stopped. Got so worried, but a few people on this site reassured me that it was all normal. And it was.

So do not worry, unless your cramping is accompanied by spotting or the pains are so bad, everything should be fine.

Good lucl with everything.
Congratulations.

Good lucl with everything.
I know exactly how you feel.  When I found out I was pregnant again after my two miscarriages I freaked over ever cramp.  I ended up running to the er and telling them I was pregnant with cramps and got them to check my levels, etc....just to make sure everything was ok.  They did an ultrasound at 5 weeks (***not that I recommend this, it was just a practice here at my hospital) when I went, but of course that was too early to see anything but could definately tell there was something there.  Just try not to stress yourself out b/c that will only make matters worse, and if the cramps get to bad just take a trip to the local ER in your area.  Good luck and sticky baby dust to you! Keep us posted..
Thank you all for your comments. I can't tell you how much I appreciate them. I am trying to be optimistic and just tell myself, what is meant to be is meant to be. Being that I rarely get cramps before my AF, I guess I will just relax about it. I will know more about my HCG levels next week so until then I will try not to stress.
Completely normal!  I had three weeks of AF type cramps when I found out I was preggers!  Best wishes!!  And congrats!
I got af cramps the first three weeks, then they subsided a little. Now they come and go every other day.(I'm in my 6th week) Sometimes it makes the tops of my legs feel sorta numb (which is how it was with af cramps sometimes).

I went to the dr last monday due to some spotting I was having last weekend, and she said the cramping was normal (which I had read, but it made me feel better to hear it from a dr).
All I can tell you is try to relax. When I feel the pain starting up, I will just lay down and get comfortable, because the more I walk around and try to do things, the worse the cramping feels...which is sometimes just an all over lower abdominal "achiness"...not so much "cramps". It's bad, because I can't tell if it's cramps, constipation, or something more serious...which really frustrates me!!

Anyway, best wishes to you...and please try not to worry yourself into being sick!
I posted a question earlier today about almost the same thing.  I can share my story and hopefully bring you some comfort.  I have had 2 MC I am prego again and I am just 5 weeks.  My Progesterone was low so my Dr put me on 200 Mg of prometrium 2x a day orally.  I don't know if it's the pills, ealy preg symptoms or something is wrong but I feel crampy too!  Not bad like period but consistant pressure.  I'm not a Dr by any means but I believe that Prog. is resposible for building the uterus linning so maybe there is extra blood flow.  The cramping or should I say discomfort, is alarming but until I see blood, I am trying not to freak. Im sorry that they lost your blood work that's annoying!!  The HCG and Prog levles will def. be higher b/c of the pills.  I will keep my fingers crossed for you.  ;)
Thanks ladies.  I had the same concerns.  That also helped me too!
what is AF cramping...Im new to this sorry?
AF = Aunt Flow (periods)
I am 5 wks., I had one mc and I am having af cramps with some pressure, I too am worried a little. What is progesterone?
I am 5 weeks pregnant and have had one MC.  I am experiencing AF cramping, the same as i did before I had a mc.  I am cuurently on anti-depressants and i am worried that that may be a reason for me having a miscarrage (miscarriage) the first time.  Is there anyone out there who was pregnant and on anti-depressants?
I had an ectopic pregnancy in January of 2005 and had the surgery 2 weeks after we found out we were preggers ( I was only 3.5 weeks when surgery was done ). I ended up getting pregnant 3 weeks after my surgery and had a little girl in November of 2005.  I had another little girl in April of 2007 w/ no complications.  I have recently found out that I am pregnant again w/ baby #3.  I am about 4 weeks today, I too have been feeling the AF cramps (moreso today because it's the day I should have started my period) for about a week now.  The cramping is mostly if not always in my lower abdomen, not horrible, just enough to annoy me.  I do get a little back cramping from time to time.  Is this normal? I'm such a freak the first 12 weeks of a pregnancy and it's been 3 yrs since I've been pregnant, I can't remember all my aches and pains in the beginning.