Maternal & Child Community
Early pregnancy and high impact aerobics

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I am about 6 weeks pregnant, I plan to continue with my high impact aerobics classes for the 1st trimester, is this safe?  I have always worked out so my body is used to it.  This is my second pregnancy, during my 1st I stopped working out and regretted it.  I am currently doing 3 cardio and 2 weight classes a week.
I don't know about High impact aerobics - your jumping around and stuff - I know that they say or I have read that is not good at all after 12weeks.  Can u try running or jogging?  I did this until four monthsm but I also did it before I was preggers to.  I stop running and started walking cause I was afraid that I was hurting my baby, but I should have never stopped because dr said I would have been fine.  I only walk now and walk uphill which burns just as man cal. as when I was running.  Try walking uphill after 12w.  I would really ask a dr if it is ok to do high impact aerobics.  I know weights are ok, but you can't do heavy weights - switch to light ones and do more reps - don't lift over your head.  I still do squats with weight but only use 20pounds and do more reps.  Heavy lifting is not good when your are pregnant - BTW I still have put on 48pounds and I'm only 33w along.
This is a constant battle in my life right now. I have been there.  I was doing a lot of cardio, high impact step classes and weight training, sculpting, 5 days a week.  

Your heart rate will begin to be automatically be higher.  You can stay in the same class, BUT tone it down a notch.  You can not add the extra jumps and hops....you get what I'm saying.  

It is dangerous, primarily in the first trimester to get your heart rate over 140bpm.  When you do, the large blood flow leaves the uterus and goes to other parts of the body.  As a result, the fetus will lack proper blood flow for development.  

I continued things like I wasn't even pregnant w/my third pregnancy.  I ran the track, did intervals, high impact step, weights....I acted like the pregnancy wouldn't slow me down a bit.  I miscarried.  Not to say that the exercise caused it, but I'll never know.  

Bottom line, take it down a bit.  

I"m now pg again, and have had a very difficult time trying to find the right classes for me...I'm irritated that I can't really fit in w/the classes I have been going to for 4 years.  I have always been fit, and am doing everything in my power to remain fit through this pregnancy.  I'm half way done w/it.  (19w)

Best of luck, but take it easy.  Tone it down, watch what you EAT, drink plenty, and don't push yourself.  It is only 40 weeks (I need to tell myself that).   Take care, JEN
It is safe to continue a well established exercise regime.  However, it is important to keep you core temp down in the first trimester.  Talk to your doc and find a pt who specializes in pregnancy.
I'm 5 1/2 weeks today, and my doctor said not to continue my normal aerobic routine. I already work out 4-6 times per week, and from all my reading, I thought it would be fine, at the very least doing low impact. But he said brisk walking only through the first trimester. I'm quite bumed and don't quite understand, but of course, I'll plan to follow doctor's orders!