Maternal & Child Community
Early symptoms/stages of labor

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Early symptoms/stages of labor

I'm currently 36 weeks and 1 day. But I think I'm int he early early EARLY stages of labor. Here are my symptoms: Cramping in my stomache/abdomain. Mostly my right side. Slight VERY slight lower back pain. My stomahce pain feels like when you drink so much water that your stomache cramps. And my lower back pain feels like when you are on your period. my lower back feels weak. My vaginal dishcarge is normal maybe a little heavier but no blood brown or pink coloring. (sorry for TMI) My baby seems more active and my stools are so loose.
What were some of your first signs of labor?
I noticed the loose stools like a day or so before I went into active labor.  I didnt have any of the cramping that you are talking about though.  My water just broke and that was it.  Hope this helps and good luck to you!!!  maybe call your doctor just to ease your mind a little bit.  Some women do get labor pains in their back more than the belly!!
usually they say that when you are in the early stages of labor there is actually less movement. When you are actually able to see your stomach become narrow you are having contractions or braxton hicks. I know when I had my daughter ( I was exactly 40 weeks to the day), I lost my mucus plug a week before and then the following week I went out to lunch with my friend and my tummy hurt. I figured I just ate too much and low and behold I got up to a sitting position and my water broke. I had my daughter that day! And the day before I went to the hospital because I had some steady contractions and they told me it was nothing and I could stay if I wanted but I knew! So watch your tummy. Mine would contract and relax and was always getting hard the day before I delivered! Hope this helps and good luck!!!

By teh way do you know what you're having and have you picked out any names?
Sounds like pre labor! You might want to talk about these symptoms to your dr. since you are 36 weeks (for most docs that is still pre-term). Your body is getting ready for the big day. The reason for the loose bowels--your body is cleaning itself out so there is nothing that blocks the baby from moving down in the birth canal. Other signs of per labor are:
1. dropping/lightening- baby snuggles in the pelvis, you may recognize this because your lungs have more rm to breathe and your bladder has very little rm. 2. The frequent bowels 3. "Bloody show" which is the loss of the mucous plug from your cervix (sign your cervix is changing) you may not have noticed it passing if you go to the bathroom at night and are not paying attention. It looks like clear jelly with streaks of blood. 4. An increase in "practice contractions" also known as "Braxon-hicks"
Have you taken any childbirth classes? I could go on to real labor but don't want to bore you with details if you already know what to expect! : )
NO! I havn't been to nay childbirth calsses so please! by all means blab away! I'm having a boy and we are naming him Marc Jr. Named after his daddy. You know daddy's really happy about the name lol! I made a docs appointment for tomorrow at noon so I'll talk to her about it then. I'm just wondering if i am starting the first stage of labor or just freaking myself out. i heard as along as the baby is at least 5 pounds by the time you hit 36 weeks more then likley he wont stay in the nicu. how can the doc tell how much your baby weighs? and is this even true? Thank all you girls for your labor stories. hopefully i'll go into labor soon (not too soon i want a healthy baby) i just cant wait to hold my bundle of joy!
Well...it is not the first stage. There are 3 stages of labor and the first is dilating from 0-10. Second is the actual birth of the baby and third is the birth of the placenta. When you go for your appt. you might be a couple of centimeters dilated. That would be good! But all these signs you have been experiencing could continue for up to 2 weeks but be assured you body is getting ready. I would highly suggest studying up on the subject of labor and birth. It will help you a lot to know what to expect. A great book is "what to expect while expecting" you can rent this book from the library. You could also do a search on the Internet. About the baby