Maternal & Child Community
Eating cold cuts

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Eating cold cuts

Hey All!

Okay, I know that preg women are not supposed to eat cold cuts unless they are made to be heated up....but when I had my first and only daughter, I ate turkey and cheese sandwiches like every other day.  That is all I wanted to take to work for lunch.  It was easy on my stomach.....Now, I'm afraid to buy turkey breast.....with all the info on it causing problems......is anyone out there eating turkey breast?  cold cuts of any sort?  Are you heating it up?  I did not heat it up back when....and I even would have a hot dog time to time and they say thats not good either....ugh...

Is anyone eating shrimp cocktail or anything.....Goodness, I love shrimp and scallops but afraid to even touch them....

Is it better to  wait until I hit a safer mark in pregnancy....after the development of the first trimester?  I'm only 9 wks now.

JT
Cold cuts are a no no due to listeria, a very coomon bacteria that is harmful to the unborn.

I'm allergic to shrimp so I'm not eating them, so I can't give you any advice there.

I am also craving turkey, I think I will buy one and roast it just for the meat.
I have never heard that we should not eat cold cuts.  I'm going to do research on that right now, because like you I have been eating more and more sandwiches.
when i was pg with my son (8 now) i dont remember the cold cuts thing, i was a sandwichaholic!! italian sandwiches all the time. i couldnt get enough meat. i hope when i get pg i dont crave them if you are not supposed to eat them!
I was pregnant 3 years ago with my daughter and cold cuts were not off limits.  This pregnancy though, my doctor gave me a list of no no food and cold cuts were on there due to listeria.  He said I could eat ham if it said it was smoked.  He thought the deli meat behind the counter was more of a taboo than the pre-packaged kind.  I have eaten it a couple of times, but just nuke it in the microwave to kill any bacteria before I eat it.

Most likely it wouldn't have listeria, but you do hate to take the risk.  The mom may ingest it and only get mildly sick, but it can rarely cause miscarriage in a baby.  I have been craving Mr. Goodcents, only because I know I can't have it!
I am about 26 weeks prego, and I've eaten plenty of turkey sandwiches.  I love them, and I think that's a stupid rule.  My nutrition prof. thinks that maybe kids these days have soo many allergies because their parents don't expose them to anything...and I agree.  I've eaten shrimp too....I didn't know I wasn't supposed to.  I know certain fish and stuff you're not supposed to eat, but there are soo many rules that are just silly.  Obviously I don't drink or smoke...and I hardly drink caffeine (even though we're allowed some a day).  I'm just not much of a soda person.  I think you'll be fine w the lunchmeat....just don't overdo it.  Of course, I'm do Dr... :)
There are so many thing they say are bad, which come on what is left, the only thing I stayed away from was fish and caffine all 11 babies healthy, chubby active, and no allergies to anything.
OK - here's what my OB says (she's one of the best high riskers in town, too, so I totally trust her).  I went through this with her a few weeks ago...  Cold cuts are fine if they are prepackaged and say "cooked" - prepackaged in the cold section - not from the deli - and not deli meat.  Smoked is not necessarily as safe as cooked.  Shrimp and scallops are fine to eat.  No smoked salmon.  No hot dogs.  The typical rules about fish with potentially high levels of mercury...  Good luck!
I ate cold cuts and seafood (including shrimp cocktail) when I was pregnant.  I did heat it up sometimes but not often.  Yes, there's a chance of getting bacteria but you are exposed to all kinds of "harmful" environment everyday.  How much do you want to avoid?  Your call.
Listeria is the risk with eating cold cuts.  However, I just had a roast beef sandwich for lunch, and have been eating cold cuts about 1-2 times per week.  Like Doll said, it's about weighing the risks.  Honestly, I think you're far more likely to get in a car accident on the way home, but it's definitely your call.  There's no right or wrong.
Hormel has this new "Natural Choice" Lunch Meat. Does anyone know if this is any better or is there still the Listeria risk?

HORMEL
I guess if I stay within reason with having a sandwich I will be okay...Isnt the risk of listeria one that all are in risk for normally?  But of course we can hurt our babies.....so we have more to risk.

My turkey I ate before was from the deli and it was smoked mesquite.....I didn't heat it...

Well guess I will feel better asking at my first doc visit and confirming my fears and things...

Thanks ladies!

JT
I guess I'm switching to Quiznos
I actually did a lil research about the Hormel Natural Choice meat and it says:

Uses a high-pressure process to destroy harmful bacteria (such as E. coli, listeria and salmonella), extend shelf life, and retain the flavor, color, taste, texture and nutritional value of foods without the use of chemical additives
i totally eliminated cold cuts, which has been pretty annoying since the salted, cured family of meats has been horribly appealing.. but when i asked the OB her opinion on food myths, rumors and facts, she said the listeria risk (from cold cuts, smoked meats, etc) was one of the few "real" things to worry about. if i really want turkey or something, i heat it to steaming.
Yeah I've avoided the cold cuts as well, unless I could cook/heat/grill it so that  it killed the bacteria.  One weakness has been club sandwiches however and I've really tried to avoid that too.  One thing about cold cuts is... They wouldn't even give me a turkey and cheese sandwich when I was recovering from my surgery because of the Listeria risk.  

As for fish or shrimp, I've said it before:  I've eaten fish and even sushi on a monthly basis.  
I've eliminated cold cuts completely.  I would love a hard salami sandwich right now!  But I just don't want to feel paranoid so I just don't eat it.  I have been on a grilled cheese kick lately.  Delicious!
Sucks eh girls!!!  We are all go to be skinny bean poles cause we cant eat anything anymore! LOL!  I too love turkey sandwiches with yummy gouda cheese on a fresh bun.....but Im trying not to do it!  Now what about leftover cold chicken and turkey mad at home??  I heard we cant eat cold chicken from the bird either.  It all has to be reheated.  Next thing ya know we wont be able to reheat our food in the microwave....Could you imagine?????
I was never told anything about cold cuts. Just non-pasteurized foods. Including salad dressing from the refrigerated section. Blue cheese, caesar(raw eggs), some orange juice, soft cheeses. Great lake fish, bottom fish and a few other fishes. No unripe papaya.
this worries me a little.  I eat subway almost everyday for lunch b/c its close to campus.  I always get ham or turkey b/c they have less fat. So now I am little scared to eat that anymore.  I guess I will just have to eat cooked turkey and ham.
I've been told by the midwives, that you can eat meat, as long as it's like fresh off the bone etc....  but either way, they said avoid it if i can....
I've been eating cold turkey sandwiches until recently when I've been hearing about the listeria scares and all... It sucks cutting them out because I work in a middle school and I don't like their tray lunches... only the deli line.  So I really have nothing but soup for lunch now and htat doesnt do much for me!
http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/listeria.html

That link should help answer your questions until you see the doctor.
I've been eating Subway sandwiches, but I have been having them toast it first.  I hope this is ok! :o@
Wow, I never knew that cold cuts harboured such danger! I only stayed away from sushi but must have eaten 3 tons of broccoli...