Maternal & Child Community
Ectopic Pregnancies: tube removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Ectopic Pregnancies: tube removal

My wife recently had to have her fallopian tube removed due to an advanced ectopic pregnancy.  We believe she was about 7-8 weeks along.
My question is would she more than likely not have had to have it removed if it was diagnosed when she was only 3-4 weeks pregnant?  We saw the picture of the tube and it was a huge mass and she had internal bleeding as well.
Thank you in advance.
About 10 years ago I had my first tubal. I had some discomfort immediately after the news of being pregnant. I went to see the doc and they did blood tests. They found that my hcg numbers werent rising like they should, so they scheduled a laparoscopy. They removed the pregnancy and said they did their best to save the tube. 6 months later, it happened again, on the other tube, with the same end result. Both were done at approx 4-5 weeks. It was a miracle to find out that neither tubes were damaged. 2 years ago, another tubal occurred, but this time the doc said my hcg levels were too high to be a tubal and disregarded that idea. That doc seemed like a QUACK (for other reasons), so I found another one, which did an u/s and found it was in the tube. I was over 8 weeks! He had to remove 2/3 of that tube. So, I guess it depends how proactive the doc is on getting those blood tests done, so you will know right away.
I wish the best for you. It can happen. I am now 13 weeks and it looks like things are in the right places!
  ~~~~~~~~~~baby dust~~~~~~~~~~~

shari
Thank you so much for your reply.  They did do blood tests, and now that we know what the levels should've been, they were very far from normal.  The doctor they wanted us to see was on vacation for a month so they wouldn't let us see one until he got back.  I've done quite a bit of research and my wife was showing EVERY sign and symptom there is for a tubal pregnancy and they didn't take her complaints seriously.  We think the doctor ruptured the tube by pushing too hard when he finally did do the pelvic exam (a month later), causing the internal bleeding.  We had to take her in that night as she was shaking vigorously and could barely walk.  They had to remove the tube.  I'm sure I almost lost her.
Thank you again for your response.  I am truely sorry for your problems.  It helps to know someone else has gone through it.  Congrats on the good news!
Everyone who's pregnant should go to http://www.ectopicpregnancy.com/facts.htm
www.ecureme.com/emyhealth/Pediatrics/Ectopic_Pregnancy.asp
www.silentvoices.org/ectopic.html
and pay special attention to the symptoms.  If you are experiencing any symptoms, demand they do the required tests for ectopic pregnancies.  This is life threatening.  Our care physicians didn't take us seriously, as I'm sure others won't.  We're beginning a law suit because of this.  It was wrong.  I don't want anyone to become an innocent victim.
They also did a u/s and saw nothing in the uterus, but her hormone levels were going down slightly then rising again.  hmmmm
:)
I agree with the previous post. That is an advanced pregnancy for ectopic and you are very lucky. It could have very easliy gone undetected and your wife would have been in a life or death situation.

With my last pg my dr was convinced it was ectopic. I thank my stars every day that he is so pro-active and such a good listener. He found nothing on his u/s scan and sent me THAT night to do one at the hopsital. The whole time he warned me that this could very easily lead to surgery. The hospital foudn what they THOUGHT might be a sac, but couldn't be certain. I had an appt with my dr 2 days later to discuss laproscopy. Fortunately I miscarried before I had to have any invasive procedure but as my dr explain it to me, if an ectopic pg goes on past 5 wks, it becomes critical.

I wish you luck in your suit against the dr, I also hope it is in the right spirit. A dr cannot prevent an ectopic pg, but if all the signs were there and he just ignored them, then that is bad practice.
Thanks for your comments.  This suit is for a good reason.   We are definitely not one of those sue happy people.
The doc was on vacation and they wouldn't let her see any other docs.  This is what caused the advanced condition.  She didn't see him until the day before her critical surgery.  The only reason they found it was because she begged for a D&C.  The entire time they kept telling her that she miscarried and that there was nothing they could do for her, dispite her insistance that she's in excruciating pain.  They wouldn't listen to her plea to at least speak with a doctor.  Thank you all for your comments and well wishes.  We appreciate it.
I wish you luck with your lawsuit, but, also being that far along, she was probably already beginning to rupture before the doc touched her. I am not trying to protect the doc by any means, but, just like my doc said, 8 weeks is a real long time in the tube and a miracle it didnt rupture before that. Now that this horrible situation has ocurred, you will be more demanding to any OB doc to get those tests ordered as soon as you get a positive pg test. It stinks that all doctors dont have that mentality to catch a tubal in a early stage and more patients need to be educated on getting to a doctor once they know they are pg, so those blood tests can be done. They are more common than people realize.
Again, good luck and best wishes to you both!
Yes it sounds like you have a good case. Just remember malpractive ins companies can eat you alive and if you can, hire the best legal advice money can buy. (I come from a family full of attorney's and my DH works in a position where he has had to hire "gorilla" atty's for his co.) Whether you are right or wrong,their atty's will have you for lunch, just be prepared for that. I am not trying to dissuade you from your suit, just trying to prepare you for the reality to come. It will be a long hard road for you and your wife and I wish you all the best!