Maternal & Child Community
Empty gestational sac at 12 weeks.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Empty gestational sac at 12 weeks.

This is my first pregnancy, I'm 34 years old.  My last period was in early December 2006.  Pregnancy test was positive.  Had my first ultrasound on 3/3/07.  Gestational sac was in place but nothing was visible in it, no fetal pole, no tissue.  They also saw about 6 fibroids.  I've never had fibroids before so I guess these came with the pregnancy.  Going to get another ultrasound done this Friday, 3/9 - my doctor wants to see if something is visible but at this point, at 12 weeks, I'm not feeling hopeful that there will be anything.  My doctor said that if nothing is visible still on 3/9, he wants to perform a D&C.  Should I get a second opinion?  Is it worth it?  If nothing is visible, does a D&C make sense?  Should I wait longer to see what happens?  Any insight anyone has would be greatly appreciated.  I am also concerned about the fibroids.  I feel no pain, no spotting, nothing unusual has occured and I feel fine so I'm hoping the fibroids don't cause future issues with trying to have children.  Has anyone had issues with fibroids?  Thanks so much for your support!
You may have ovulated a lot later than you thought, it is possible, and so if they can measure the gestational sack I would get a 2nd opinion.  Your choices are very difficult.  I know fibroids can interfere with fertility (or so I was told) but more so they are a cause for premature birth.  If you cannot get all the answers you need from your doctor, please check into a new one.
Man, it's like reading my own story from 2 years ago. First pregnancy, and a routine u/s at 12 weeks revealed an empty sac. Of course you can get a second opinion, but at 12 weeks something more than a sac should be seen. I opted for the D&C because the sac was so big, that my doctor feared I might hemorrage if I waited for a natural m/c. See how the u/s goes on Friday, and then do what's right for you. I'm so sorry you're going through this.
I am sorry you are in this situation, I know it is very hard.  I was in the exact same situation last year.  I went in for my first appt. for my first pregnancy at 10 or 12 weeks and they found an empty sac.  I was completely shocked and in denial since I didn't have any spotting cramping or bleeding.  I never even remotely thought that was a possibility!  I had a repeat ultrasound a week later which showed the same thing only the sac was slightly smaller.  Sad to say I did have a d&c a few days after that, after the shock of it all finally settled in.  The d&c went well and I barely had any cramping or spotting afterwards.  I think my only clues now that that was happening was that I didn't really "feel" pregnant even though I didn't really know what I was supposed to feel like since that was my first.  It is possible your dates are mixed up so I would definitely get a second ultrasound a week or so later but if the dates are correct you should definitely see a fetus with cardiac activity by 12 weeks.  Usually an embryo can be spotted around 6 weeks and the cardiac activity around 8 weeks.  It sort of seems like a blighted ovum happens with a lot of first time pregnancies.  Like maybe it is a primer for your body to start getting ready or something.  Once I accepted my miscarriage, I just tried to focus on the future and trying to conceive again.  That seemed to help me a lot and move past it.  I am sorry again but wish you the best of luck.
There is a small chance that your pregnancy is viable.  However, it doesn't look good.  Have they ruled out and ectopic pregnancy?  Are you spotting?  Do you have any cramping?

Even if you have a blighted ovuum (very early fetal death, the body re-absorbs a lot of the tissue) you will still have products of conception which if they are left behind can cause an infection.

If you do not start to bleed on your own, you should have your blood drawn to see what your hgc levels are.  
Sounds like you may have a blighted ovum - sac and no fetus.  I had a blighted ovum in June 2006.  I was bleeding though and when I went to ER to have u/s at 9w they only saw a sac and no baby.  I was crushed.  Two weeks later I went on to m/c.  I waited just because I had a little hope.  I'm not sure if this is what you have, unless you are off in your dates.
I waited until I started to bleed, and then had the D&C, when I found out I had a blighted ovum.  This made me feel better about the D&C bc when the bleeding started I knew for myself that there was no hope for the pregnancy to continue.  Alot of women bleed during pregnancy, but after finding out there was no baby, I knew.  I had to be 100% sure, even though dr was, I wanted to wait for the bleeding.  It is your choice, just make sure you are 100% sure of your decision.  

I am sorry you are going through this.
holly cow! it brought me back so many memories.....like some of the girls here, i also had a 'blighted ovum'....altho i got to see a hb at 7 weeks....at 12 i went to get my ultrasound and hear the heartbeat with the doppler and nothing.....me and dh were there in front of the ultrasound, waiting with all our expectations and love for our first child just to see....nothing.
My baby stopped growing at 7 or 8 wks and got reabsorbed by my body.....i never had any problems, altho, looking back i remember something gummy, pinkish came out one time in my panties (sorry TMI). Didn't think much of it....
It might be a BO girl. I am so sorry. It was the most devastating thing i have ever had to endure, but it only gets better, just give it some time....
Also!!! i wanted to tell you, i've been TTC'ing for a little less than a year now....and finally i went (on my own) to an RE....(after several people insisting on 'wait, it'll happen when you less try...') and found out I have a fibroid that is actually tilting my uterus a little......which, (most likely) is causing my infertility.....we already ran some other tests...like kariotype, lupus, antibodies and SA and everything came out fine.....so, most likely is that.....
Dont' worry, the RE told me is not 'big deal' and with a myomectomy (sp?), or hysteroscopy, will be out in no time!!! and will not 'harm' my uterus, altho i've read that us girls that are TTC'ing after a procedure to remove the fib. will have to have a C-section, since the uterus can be easily ruptured in a natural birth....now, i didn't hear that from the RE, just read it......so, i am not 100% sure....
Either way, good luck to you hun.....I wish you can get over all this BS really soon, cuz it stinks, but once you are ready to go, you'll feel much better!!!
(((HUGS)))
oh and my sister had a fibroid (or so they thought).  she gave birth to a healthy baby girl last june!!
When did you get your bfp? Was it 10 weeks ago? If so, then I would sadly say that it doesn't look good for this pregnancy. If you got your bfp recently, then maybe there's a chance. I wouldn't rely on the u/s alone if you're reluctant to have a d&c done. Insist that your doctor draw blood quantitative hcg 48 hours apart to see if your numbers are doubling or dropping. If your u/s shows no growth and your numbers are dropping, I would go for the d&c. The sooner you have it done, the sooner you can go on to ttc again. So sorry that you're going through this. I can say from experience that the waiting is sometimes the hardest part.
This is my second pregnancy, the sac is empty at 12 weeks. My Doctor has sent me to get a vaginal  ultrasound done which should be more accurate. I have already decided  to do the D& C if the sac is empty.
What were the results and how have you been since.