Maternal & Child Community
Empty gestational sac at 5wks?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Empty gestational sac at 5wks?

Hi. I'm new here. I am hoping someone could help me.

Brief summary:
LMP is May 19th
June 16th HCG is 11 (inconclusive)
June 23 HCG is 990
June 26 HCG is 3800
U/S on June 27 shows "EMPTY GESTATIONAL SAC".

The perinatologist said that it could be too early. However, the technician said that is most likely an "unviable" pregnancy.

My questions are:
At this point, what should they be seeing?
At this point, do my HCGs look about right?
We go back on July 18th for a followup U/S, what should they see then?

I have two healthy children and this one was unplanned, but still wanted and loved . . . thanks in advance.
The same thing happened to me and a week later.....little pole and heartbeat, so you never know...unfortunately, mine ended in m/c but not for that reason. Hopefully everything will be fine for you....a couple of days can make a big difference with what shows up on the u/s. Good luck and hugs to you ;-)
It could very well be too early, especially if you ovulated a little later in your cycle and/or the embryo implanted a little late.  There is a ton of variability at this early of a date.  Good luck!
I had a U/S at 5 weeks b/c of some bleeding.  They saw a gestational sac and yolk sac, which they said was about all you could expect to see that early.  I would not stress over it yet.  It's way to early to tell anything.
The tech does not know what they are talking about.  At 5w1d all we saw was a yolk sac, and then at 7w5d I went back and there was the fetus with heart beat.  I am 9w now.  I wouldnt worry about it.  You have no ay of knowing when the egg implanted, so you have no way of knowing exactly how far along you are.  At this early stage,  two days makes a BIG difference.  When you go back in two weeks and everything is fine, you should complain about the tech.  They arent supposed to say ANYTHING re the pg, for hte exact reason that they do not have the necessary knowledge.  If you would go in a ten weeks and there would be nothing, that would be worth mentioning, maybe.  At five weeks, no way.  Good luck, Sticky Babay Dust your way, and I wish you a great 8 months ahead!!
I was told by my Dr that 5 weeks is early to see anything. There are a lot of factors that could effect what the tech saw, and she should not have said anything to you. Hope all works out for you!
I have read about the very same thing and in a few weeks another u/s was completely normal...I think it is too early to tell, and remember, techs are not Dr's!.....Good luck to you!!! I hope to hear good news in another few weeks!
Women on this forum complain that the ultrasound technician didn't tell them anything.  This is why they don't let the techs tell you anything. :)
Hi I am 10 weeks preg. and I had my first visit with my OB when I was just 4 1/2 weeks. She wanted to do an US because I had a mc in Macrh 06 and I am high risk being that I had my dd at 23 weeks. She told me that we needed to wait until 6 weeks for the US because you can not see much before that and she did not want me to worry for nothing. I went in at 6 weeks 3 days and I saw a baby and a HB. The tech told me that at 5 weeks you can not see much just a sac. Please don't jump to conclusions, 5 weeks is early. Keep positive and wait to see what happens in 2 weeks.
It happened to me too. I measured small and there was a gest sac and yolk, but no baby. 6 weeks later, there was my baby, strong, moving and 11 weeks along. It is way too early.. wait another three weeks. GOOD LUCK!!!
Yep I'm in the same boat. I went in for an U/S on the 27th and was told that i was measuring far too small for 6wks and that i had to be reffered to a specialist (STRESS!). I went to the specialist and he said that i was measuring 5 weeks and that it was too early to see anything (RELIEF!). So now i have another u/s scheduled for the 4th of July when i should be 6 weeks and they hope to see the yolk sac and a fetal pole and if they dont see a fetal pole, i go in 2 weeks later providing everything is fine - to see a heartbeat. Moral of the story - listen to these women, I would have had permanently curled hair if their words of encouragement, experience and support didn't come my way. Good luck!
I have the same exact story...I went for my u/s on June 28th and only a gestational sac and a yolk sac were seen by transvaginal, I thought I was 6 weeks according to LMP,but could be that I ovulated later I don't know ???
My hcg levels are as follows:
June 16th: 70
June 21st: 672
June 26th: 4093
June 28th: 7909
Numbers are rising but my doc doesn't think it's necessary to do any more hcg levels and just wants me to have an u/s again in a week,I still don't have the date but I'm scared to have it done too early again and not see anything,but then again I want desperately to see a HB soon next time I go. Let's just pray that we are too early on and next time we get our u/s we see a strong HB and deliver a healthy baby in 8 months!!!
Hi there,

I have a very similar problem to you all.  I'm 6 and a half weeks pregnant and I had an ultrasound yesterday to monitor an existing medical condition.  The technician found no sign of a baby, but a sac that she estimated was only about 4 weeks and 2 days.  I have to go back in two weeks for another ultrasound to see if they can find the baby.  I'm so scared!  I have had no bleeding or spotting and the only pregnancy symptoms I have are breast tenderness (not severe) and needing to urinate frequently.  I know my LMP was May 14 (and I'm very regular), and I had been taking ovulation tests to predict when I was ovulating.  I'm pretty sure I was ovulating around May 28.  I really don't want to lose this baby! Any advice?
I forgot to ask this in my last post, but how do you all know what your HcG levels are?  I thought the only way to determine that was a blood test at the drs. office.  If there is a way, please tell me.  I want to do whatever I can!
I had the same things told to me at 6 weeks- almost 7, and I was depressed for a week. They really shouldn't say anything. Two weeks later, there he/she was. The sac, the pole and a heartbeat.
Yes, the hCG test is a blood test.  It is most often done in early pregnancy to confirm the pregnancy.  A lot of women have the levels checked if they are at risk of a m/c.  Not all DRs check the levels routinely, but some will.  Again, this is most useful in early pregnacny b/c as you get closer to your 2nd trimester they level off andwill not increase as quickly.
Thanks for the info.  I called my doctor requesting that she monitor my HcG levels.  She said that they know that something is there, hopefully a baby, but they don't trust the HcG levels.  She said I just have to wait until the u/s in two weeks.  I'm just praying that the technician that performed my first u/s made a huge mistake.  Torture!!
I too only have breast soreness and some urinary frequency and no m/s, I haven't had any spotting, bleeding or cramping... maybe just a tiny twinge here and there...The most common cause of abnormal u/s is wrong dates, meaning that most likely we are too early, also imaging studies are very operator dependant, meaning that someone with less experience or not so perfect technique may not be able to findan embryo this early, plus ovulation could have ocurred later or maybe implantation took a litle longer... I'm praying for all of us. My u/s is July 5th...I'm so afraid to not see anything again although it still could be too early, I'm thinking about cancelling that appt. and rescheduling it for at least Friday the 7th or the next week, what doyou think? Should I do it on the 5th and deal with not seeing anything and go back to the waiting game or should I wait another week?
Thanks to everyone who has provided me with advice over the past few days.  Unfortunately I lost the baby on Saturday, depsite all my hopes and prayers for a healthy pregnancy.    Something like this m/c really makes you appreciate the things in life that you sometimes take for granted.  I already have one perfect little boy who I see in a whole new light now-he really is my little miracle!  Hopefully it won't be too long before I can give him a healthy little brother or sister, so they can teach him how to share!!  Good luck to all of you in your pregnancies-your in my thoughts and prayers!
I'm sorry to hear about your miscarriage...((Hugs))I wish you prompt recovery and as you said, enjoy your little one and I'm sure you will be able to give him a little brother or sister soon. Did you spontaneously m/c or did you get a D&C? I'm in the same situation still, I took yet a fourth hcg level which showed 11964 less than 2 whole days later...which sounds ok, but it's true hcg levels are not reliable,best is an u/s showing a good heartbeat, I get another u/s tomorrow...but I'm concerned because my boobs don't hurt as much anymore...my other question is...if no HB is seen but the sac grew and has normal shape...can I still think it's too early or should I just accept the worse...
You'll be in my thoughts and prayers as well as all you ladies out there in similar situations.
My advice is:  Never give up hope!
Well I'm having the same problem, I'm 8 wks pregnant, and this morning I had 2 u/s done to me (vaginal and tummy) the thing is this is my 5th u/s and all the doctor sees is an empty sack. So he set me up an appointment this morning for the vaginal and tummy u/s but the technician didn't tell me anything she said she was going to send the results out to my doctors office and for me to go in tomorrow for the results I am so scared because if these u/s say there's an empty sack once again, the doctor wil  terminate my pregnancy...has any one had this problem?
I went back for my second u/s and thank you G*d! We saw a fetal pole and a heartbeat, I feel so much better...I'm 35 and it took me so long to get pregnant I was worried out of my mind. "Never give up hope" are very wise words! I wish all of you ladies out there the best of luck!!
I just had an ultra sound today,9w3d. It showed an empty gestational sac. i guess by now there should be something. my doctor told me a technical name but i dont remember it. i feel for all u ladies with the same problem. it's hard to cope with.
I just wanted to say what a relief all of you are. I recently went through a partial molar pregnancy and had to have 2 D&C to remove everything. I am now pregnant again and am very sceptical of course. I do no want to loose this baby. My doctor sent me for an ultrasound yesturday and only found a sac. He wasn't sure if he could see an embryo or not. I was pretty upset because I didn't know what this meant. I was hoping it was just because it was too early to tell. I go again in 3 weeks. After reading all of the comments posted in this forum I feel so much better and that its normal to not see as much at 5 weeks. So thank you very much!!
I also just had an u/s at five weeks and all we found was an empty sak. What makes me even more scared is the fact that my tubes were tied five years ago after my third child was born. I was afraid of being pregnant again but now that i am i was afraid something was wrong but the posts i have read make me feel better. i go back in two weeks please keep me in your prayers that everything will be ok. God Bless.
hello everyone,
i am going through the same thing. i went to get an ultrasound yesterday, and the tech told me i measured 6 1/2 weeks- which i believe to be wrong...i calculated 4 weeks, has anyone ever heard of measuring farther along then u are?
the tech told me there was a ges and yolk sac but no fetal pole and no heartbeat...im am very sad, but after reading these posts i feel a little bit better. i had one hcg drawn so far just the other day it was 16,000. i would like to have lots of hope but what the tech told me (which she was older and pretty sure of- and it was a new machine) keeps ringing in my head. =( she said come back in one week for us and hcg.
I underwent IVF so they know exactly the date of conception for me.  I had my first ultrasound today (6 1/2 weeks) and all they found was an empty gestational sac.  They said there's a "chance" that it could have been slow implanting so they said to re-do the u/s next week.  My mother just had a heart attack and underwent bypass surgery so I've had a ton of stress this past week.  I bled a little Monday but it stopped in a few hours.  I am terrified that I've lost my pregnancy.  They said they should be able to see yolk sac at 5 1/2 weeks so I'm a week further than that.  Anyone have similar timeframe and had good outcome with u/s a week later?
I had an ultrasound today and I thought that I was 8 weeks preg. according to my LMP.  My OB/GYN said that it looks like there is an empty gestational sac,  but it may be too early to tell.  Is there a chance that I might just have miscalculated?  I am frantic here, I don't know what is going on.  She is doing Hcg levels this week and I should find out something then, but the wait is killing me.  I have a normal very healthy daughter of 5 years old with NO complications at all during that pregnancy.  I would think that there would at least be a heart beat or something for me to view at this point... Does anyone have any words of advice or encouragement?  Could it be possible that I have miscalculated THAT much????
Hi, I also went for a u/s today thought I was about 5 weeks, all that was found was an empty sac and was told to go back in 10 days the lady who scanned me was not very forthcoming with any info. I have had 2 healthy pregnancies before can anyone offer any advice?
I really like this forum; here is my dilemma.  I went at 7 1/2 weeks to my first appt, and the u/s showed one sac with a fetus and heartbeat and a second sac which appeared empty.  My doc recommended i go to the hospital to confirm, but... confirm what?  That it is empty?  That there is a second baby?  That there was a second baby but it didnt make it?  I can't stop thinking about it....
Hi, I am having the same situation you had.  I had an u/s two days ago and was told there were 2 gestational sacs but only one had a yolk sac.  The other was empty.  I was told I was 5 1/2 weeks and needed to come back in one week for another u/s.  What does the empty gestational sac mean?  If I am only 5 and 1/2 weeks could it be too early for the other yolk sac to appear?  Did I loose a baby and not know it?  What did you get told?  
My wife and I are in a similar situation.  We just got back from our 8 week apt. where we thought we'd hear the heartbeat, however the Dr. couldn't hear it.  He took the u/s machine and was able to find two (what appeared to be) empty sacs.  He said they appeared to be 4 weeks, which mathematically doesn't add up to what we believe is 8 weeks.  We're scheduled back for another u/s in 10 days.

Thankfully I found this thread, it's giving us a bit of peace.  Thanks.
Just wanted to let you all know that we went in today for another ultra-sound and it still showed 2 empty sacs - no yolk sac, no stem pole.  My wife will be getting a D&C tomorrow.

I hope everything goes well for you all.

Thanks.
Hi guys, reading this info is really easing my mind a little...I believed that I was 8 weeks pregnant....and I started to spot after my fiance and I had sexual intercourse. The spotting went to a little bit more, to where I passed a clot. I called my midwife and she ordered me to come in the following morning. We went in and she took blood, to check my HcG levels, and then she ordered an u/s. I went to the u/s and it appeared to be an empty sac. She said she heard no heart beat. She said she was going to call my midwife, and she wouldn't let me leave without talking to her first. So finally 1/2 an hour went by, and I was talking to my midwife. She told me that it could be one of two things.   It could be that I miscalculated and that I am only 5 weeks pregnant (which could be true) and it's too early to tell anything or see anything....or my baby could have just stopped growing at 5 weeks. I don't know yet...It's now saturday night and I go on Monday to get more blood work done to see if my HCG levels are rising...if they are, than she said that'll be GREAT but if they aren't, it's not a good sign!!!!!! I'm a little scared...but wish us good luck!
Hi everyone,

I am also going through the same thing i have had 3 ultrasounds to date and in all 3 they have seen 2 sacs very clearly.  The second U/S we could see the yolk sac in only 1 and i was told to come back in a week, this U/S we could pick up the heart beat of one but the other sac looks empty, however it is growing to the same size as the one with the baby and heart beat in it? its very confusing and upsetting, i have been told to have another U/S in a weeks time, i had no hope thismorning and was upset, after reading all of your posts, maybe there is still hope?...
I forgot to mention i am 6 weeks 1 day
I just vistied the Dr. today assuming I was 6 weeks along.  Whiledoing the ultrasound they noticed the sac was empty.  There was also no yolk.  Should I be worried or do you think it's just to early to see anything??? I am really worried.  I have to go back Thursday for another ultrasound but I am going to make myself sick by then.  Can someone tell me they have been in these shoes before.
I just had my 2ND ultrasound the on Thursday (4.24) & we clearly saw 2 sacs,but no baby. I was completely & totally amazed at the site of them. ( I haven't been pregnant in 10yrs, I have a 13,11 & 10yr old) However, we didn't see anything inside them & one was slightly larger than the other. I'm not really worried because according to my doctors based on my last m/s I should be about 7 wks, but I told my doctor that that's not possible, I believe that I am only 4 wks along. I had taken the plan B pill before becoming pregnant & between cycles so I believe it made me ovulate a little later & therefore my last m/s doesn't count anymore I'm also one of those rare cases in which I knew I was pregnant really really early. Anyways in saying all this I believe that some of us just ovulated a little later than we thought and it's just too early to see anything. I told my doctor that I feel just fine which is true and to give my 2 little blessings a few more weeks & I'm sure they'll be there alive & well. Don't worry ladies we should all just keep praying & everything will be ok. I am going in to have my HCG levels checked on Monday and I believe all is well so I will keep you all posted. BTW, this site has also eased some of the little worries that I did have thanks to you all.

Bless You All and Good Luck:)
I just went to my second u/s in a week the third for the pregnancy...I know I should be 9 or 10 weeks and Im only measuring 5 and Im a nervous wreck. My HcG levels are going down but I have no signs of a m/c I go to the drs tomorrow to put all this together and I don't want to let him take it out even if there is no baby and just a sac....I know its sick but I can't help but wonder if there is a mistake...does anyone know the name of this yolkless sac so I can research it before I go crazy?
I had this happen to me last year. The doc. saw a sac but no yolk sac / baby NOTHING. He called it a blighted ovum. I didnt want to have a D&C, just incase there was life there. But in the end i ended up m/c at 14 weeks. there was no baby in the sac. I hope that this helps you out.
I just had my ultrasound where there was an empty gestational sac with a sac of yolk.  I have already told everyone we lost the baby and then I read this.  This gives me hope, although my hope and faith lie in the Lord I now know there are other people who went through what I went through.  I will have to post again when we find out more.
Hello!

My last cycle was April 14. By my calculations I should be 6wk+4d. I had my first appt last week 5/21, (apx 5wk+2d) but we did not see anything, not even a sac. I went back yesterday and there was a sac but it was empty. I have had light cramping on and off throughout the pregnancy but no bleeding. I did b/w to check HcG yesterday and have to go back tomorrow for more b/w. I will not find out anything until Monday. I am going crazy. Is it possible that it is too early to see a yolk sac or baby or should I prepare for the worst?
After my second ultrasound 7W5D we saw a heartbeat and the baby.  So far so good.  Catnluis I had my ultrasound at 5W2D but the sac wasnt empty.  If your HCG levels are increasing then the pregnancy is viable. . .thats what my nurse told me.  My levels didnt double in 2 days but they did increase significantly.  I pray all goes well for you.

I've been searching online for info and found this site.

Myself and my wife were married just over a week ago. She had abdominal pains in the last week and they got really bad on Sunday morning, plus she started bleeding more.

We went to the hospital and they told us she was possibly pregnant. We were shocked as we had no idea, even though she has been off contraception for about 12 months and we have been trying for a baby.

We went back this morning for a scan, they needed to do both types as the first didn't show anything conclusive up.

The second scan showed a gestation sack but they can't see anything else for sure so we have to return in 10 days for a further scan. They estimate that my wife is about 5 weeks gone.

After reading these comments on this site, it has made us feel slightly better, although the next 10 days will be difficult to get through.
I wish I had read this information before I spent all evening crying. The date of my last period was July 16. I was using the clear blue easy fertility monitor which indicated that that I ovulated on or near Aug. 2. I was also traching my basal body temp which indicated that I ovulated on Aug. 5. It worried me that the two methods gave different dates. My husband and I had very well time sex. I did a preg test on Aug. 14 and it was positive. I am 6w6d today (or so I thought). My ultra sound showed a gestation sac but nothing yet. I was devistated. I was putting so much hope in hearing the heart beat. I purposely schedules the u.s. to be at 7 weeks because that this when my OB said I should be able to see the heart beat.  I am an RN but I' afraid to say that I do not know much of anything about gestational sacs, fetal poles or the amount of time and egg and sperm can live in the body. The US tech called my OB and gave him a very detailed run down of the US results. I know my OB personaly so that was helpful in our talk. He said that it is very possible that I ovualated closer to Aug 5 when the BBT indicated I did. He also said that sperm can live in your body for 72 hours.  He said that if you take those things into consideration I could be only 5w6d which then would make seeing only the sac more appropriate. When I was calm enough to think rationaly I remember this happening to my sister. She had had mult. mc and blitted ovums so the OB had her do weekly US for the first 10 weeks. I remember that she told me that her US were showing another blitted ovun and she was devistated only time find out on week 9 that there was a fetus and HB. Some of my preg symtoms (symptoms) have decreaed over the weeks but some are much more noticable. I will go back to the OB for an US in one week. I truely wish that I had not scheduled this US based on what I thought was  weeks. We'll see what happens.   Sorry this is so long.
i'm 21 w/ my first pregnancy... i had my first u/s done today and all they could see was the sac.  When i was younger i was told that i wouldn't be able to have children b/c of cyst..apparently they went away.i am very nervous. i have the choice of another u/s next week or the following. which one do i chose? i cant stand not know if my baby is ok. they calculated me as 5 weeks from the whole method process, but nothing came up on the u/s..told from being so early..what is going on?
I'm 22 yrs. according to my dates i should be about 9wks I went to a u/s last friday and there was no visible heartbeat or fetus in the yolk sac, they then told me I prob not even 6wks yet. I know that I can't be less than 8wks I'm going in again on wednesday for another u/s my doctor sounds very concerned.. I've read up on tubal pregnancies and it describes what I've been going thru.. If anyone else has experimented this situation please w/b..thanks
Hi, I was so shocked by news at my first ultrasound visit I could not think clearly enough to ask OB a lot of questions. Reading stories on this website is comforting while I agonize over the very slow wait until my next week f/u u/s. First u/s showed an empty sac (black hole area), and nothing else. The Ob said either it is too soon or baby is not developing properly. She estimated 6.3 wks. along from LMP. I calculated fetus growth at 4.3 wks. from conception. I'm so worried because suddenly I don't feel so pregnant anymore. My breasts had been very sore and swollen now less sore and not swollen. My increased appetite has now decreased and frequent urination also decreased. I wish I knew either way so I can accept outcome and move on. It's so hard because I keep thinking maybe the baby is alive, so I keep imagining what it will be like and then I tell myself I shouldn't think about it really being a baby because maybe it's not really there. It's an awful feeling. From reading these stories it seems I have a 50/50 chance of it appearing and everything being fine or not having a happy ending. I will post an update soon.
I went for an U/S on Monday and I am 4.5 weeks pregnant. The tech told me that the sac was empty and she was really sorry there is no baby in there and also she thinks there might be a problem with my left ovary. I was so depressed I went home and drank a bottle of wine. I went to the doc the next day to organise what I though would be a D+C and he told me it was far too early to see anything. He did a blood test and my HCG levels are 12,300 and so still pregnant and my left ovary is fine!! Now I have to worry if I have done any damage from drinking all that wine! Techs have no right to comment
if anyone one could help me out, i had to go to the docotors for an unlrasound make a long story short they didnt see anything but a black sack but nothing inside of it, then i needed to get blood tests to see what my HCG was and it was high, so they needed me to go to the hospital and get another ultrasound, asked if i have pain or bleeding but i dont, they want me to come back in 9 days to see if there is anything there i dont know if anyone is going through the same thing i am but if you know anything please let me know, and you can be honest with me thats all i want!! Thank youuuuuu
This forum is indeed making me feel better. I went for a vaginal u/s today. I am 5w6d since my LMP and they saw a gestational sac and yolk sac. I went to the hospital today thinkng I was simply going to find out if the pregnancy was in the right place and viable and then they started talking about gestational and yolk sacs and I realized I had some reading to do.

So, I came online (now!) and am happy for what I found. I too have to go back in another 10 days and find out if the heart beat is there...I am wondering if I should wait more than 10 days because I don't want to go and they tell me the same thing or else I will be really discouraged. This is torture waiting and now knowing.

Ten days is a good time.  I didn't see my baby at my 5 week visit.  I was so worried we just saw the sac.  Two weeks later after crying my eyeballs out we saw the baby.  She's due in a couple of weeks.  Good luck to you and don't worry.
Hugs
Athena
hello everyone! I have a similar story. I went in for my fisrt scan at 7weeks and 4 days theoretically (date from my last period), all the doc could see was an empty gestational sac. I was absolutely devastetd as I read that at 6 weeks you could see a heartbeat. My sac measured 6 weeks, and the doc said this was a bit concerning nevertheless, i could also be wrong on my dates. The doc told me to come back 10 days later. Those 10 days were very frustrating and difficult, and yet I waited 17 days before I went back. I just wanted the doc to be certain of his diagnosis, whatever it may be. I had my second ultrasound yesterday and there it was, a baby (a bean) and a heartbeat!!!
Many doctors wait until the tenth week to do a frist ultrasound, just to avoid this kind of stress. I'm at 9 weeks or so.
I never stopped praying and asked all my friends and family to say my name in their prayers. I call this bean my miracle baby. It was just playing hide and seek :))
kKeep praying and believe in your prayers, and please just wait and try not to stress too much. I just feel like some docs are so quick to order a DnC. I hope I helped a little, and I truly hope everything goes well with all of us, we all deserve to be mommies!!!
Best of luck
Congratulations!  I am so happy for you!
I went for an u/s yesterday. This is my 4th pregnancy and far different from the first 3. At 6.5 weeks with my first they saw a baby, yolk sac and strong heartbeat...she is now almost 10 years old. Second child at 5 wks 3 days, a sac and yolk sac. Third child at 5 weeks 5 days a sac and a yolk sac. This child was planned so I found out very, very early. Like 7 to 8 days after conception (Aug 10th, 2010.) I was devistated that 10 days ago they found nothing in my uterus. My cervix was closed and I should have been about 4 weeks pregnant. They ordered another u/s and I scheduled it for 9 days later, hoping that we would get to see at least a yolk sac. I went yesterday and all they saw was an empty sac measuring 5 wks 5 days (which it's possible that I conceived 3 days earlier, but was figuring that I conceived that Tuesday.) and NO YOLK SAC. I asked the tech if you usually see a yolk sac at 5 wks 5 days and she said usually you do, but my period dates put me at 5 wks 2 days and at that time you may or may not be able to see a yolk sac and I could come back tomorrow and see a yolk sac or it may take to 6 weeks and boom there will be a yolk sac, a baby and a heartbeat. She said that this early they grow at different rates, grow faster one day and none the next, so it was just too early to say anything, but told me not to lift anything heavy and to take it easy and repeat the test in 5 to 7 days. I'm a little worried because I've had a blightned ovum before. My hormone levels were 222 10 days ago, 498 9 days ago, 528 8 days ago, and 4200 3 days ago. So they are doubling as they should but with blightned ovum's they do because your body still thinks it's pregnant. I'm not bleeding or cramping, but I did have light spotting about 9 days ago...but nothing since. I'm not sure what's going on, neither do the doctors, but I think after reading this I'm going to wait until my next Dr. appt to get another u/s. I'll be a little over 8 weeks then and we should be able to see something.
Two weeks ago on Thursday 10/7/10 I went to a free clinic to take a pregnancy test b/c I missed my peroid for about a month and a few weeks. My test was positive and shocked and happy was I. Also on the same day of finding out the nurse was doing the Ultrasound and to my excited ears, I was told that she saw a empty sac and I was measuring at about seven weeks. So the nurse and director prayed with me right then. I went home told my husband and we prayed. For two weeks I wrestled with this news, I remained prayerful and I cryed as I reminded God on how he did it for Rachel,Elizabeth,Mary,Sarah,shanumite women in the bible, I asked him to do it for me. On yesterday 10/21/10 I went back to have another Ultrasound, and there it was the baby was jumpimg so high and the heartbeat was perfect. I began to cry, then wept,then sobbed,I was so happy that God heard our prayers.The nurse said she didn't understand b/c at 7wks you are suppose to see something.....I Have A But God Clause: That God Can do anything but fail, He can/will do the impossible only if you Believe.....I sang praises to his name b/c he's greatly to be praised....Be encourage everyone b/c God is on our side, he has the last say!!!!!! BE+BLESSED
I took a pregnancy test on the 23rd Dec 2010 and was over the moon when it came back postive after 5 yeas of trying.   Gave Dr dates of last period and also I had a kinda showing ont the 11th Dec and she worked out I was due in August.   Went for scan yesterday as we all assumed I was nearly 12 weeks.  Sadly scan showed empty small sac that measured about 5 weeks and was then told that I will probably miscarry but to come back for another scan next week as my dates don't match with the size of the sac.   I have had no bleeding, cramps or anything yet I have tender breasts, tiredness and my queasiness has now gone.  I think what has upset me most is the fact I was told I can miscarry naturally or they can do it for me yet I have to walk about until this happens with my "wee onion" inside me.   Its heart breaking.......xx
I went to the er a few days ago, they are saying im about 5 weeks pregnant, they did an ultrasound but just found a empty sac, I have to go back in 2 weeks to see if they can see the baby in there? Has anyone went through this and just had it be too early? I am having no pain and no bleeding, waiting this 2 weeks is killing me. Please help me
The same thing happened to me.  You will see my post here.  Now I have a one year old. Hugs to you.  I know the 2 week wait is so painful.  
according to my lmc, i am supose to be 8 1/2 weeks but my sac is measuring only about 5 1/2 weeks. I've been spotting since sat, dark blood, and today i was seen with an ultrasound tech.  She wasn't able to tell me anything until the end of the day or my dr will talk to me this coming friday if she saw anything.  I am so worry and scared that I will not see a growing baby.  I pray every day that this pregnanices is a healthy one..i pray that this baby is just too small to be seen and that I will see him/her soon.  My husband and I have been trying for 4 years and last year we found out that he had low sperm count..but I do belive in hope and maricales...reading these post does help me alot in believing that baby might just be OK...Keep us in your prayers!
Hug and prayers to you.
hello i've had TWO EMPTY GESTATIONAL SAC, its really depressing after we get all excited thinking we are finally going to be parents and than we dont see anything in the ultrasound but an empty sac.. the first time i was 7w2days.. the second one i was 7 weeks exactly. i just recently found out i was pregnant again today, well i took a home pregnancy test but if its an empty gestational sac it have a posative pregnancy but wont have anything in the sac.. i'm kind of excited and i hope this time is really our time for parenthood. it gets discourging after a while.. but the first time i had an empty sac i had light bleeding but NO cramps.. so they took me in for an emergency ultrasound and nothing.. the second time the doctor just wanted to have an ultrasound to see how far along i was and then again nothing in the sac. hope this helps girls!!
Hello. I just wanted to tell you that I just recently found out that I'm pregnant with my 3rd child and I went to my ob and he did an ultrasound to just confirm everything. according to my last cycle i was 5 weeks and the ultrasound showed no sac and no yolk sac!! It only showed a thickening in the uterus where the sac will form, which is normal! My ob also informed me that the sac doesn't develop until the 6th week, so don't worry, you are just too early to be able to see anything!!! Hope everything goes great for you ;-)
I thought I was 8 weeks pregnant cos don't they add two weeks to the conception date????
now they are saying i have a 21mm gestational sac typical of five weeks along with no yolk sac or fetal heartbeat.  

I am not sure it could be just five weeks along that would be impossible because my last sexual activity was more than five weeks ago, unless i am the next virgin mary.  
my last LMP was 21/11/2011
last sexual activity was 16/12/2011
first positive pregnancy test was 24/12/2011
so i should be 8 weeks now.  

I have been told to return next week HCG is over 2,000 and bloodwork does not indicate a miscarriage.  i don't understand whole situation.  
what happen to your pregnancy? i know this post was so late but im in the same situation right now. i am expecting im on my 7-8 weeks but based on sonogram, im on my 5w4d and all we saw was an empty gest sac. was it really possible that i may ovulated late? is empty gest sac normal for a 5w4d?
Well, as the tears flow down my cheeks, I can't decide if this thread has helped me or made me more afraid! My sweet 7 year old, kekoa is sitting next to me, saying "Mommy, you just have to wait until the baby is this long to see it" as he holds up his hands...

I am 40. I am a stage III colon cancer survivor. Every person in my family was shocked and dismayed that I chose to get pregnant. I was thrilled that it actually worked! I tried to get pregnant and did using a fertility app on my iphone! (be careful though, the iphone app dates had me ovulating 3 days later than I actually did. Had I not used the pee on a stick ovulation test, I would have missed it.) So I know for a fact I ovulated 4/30/12 with a LMP of 4/16/12. It is now 5/30 and I had my first ultrasound yesterday. I was told I had an empty gestational sac with no yolk sac or fetal heartbeat present.The mood in the room became very somber and the technician looked at me with pity telling me I needed to see 'my real dr' immediately and gave me pity-filled words of I hope everything works out ok!

It was a clinic that I had been referred to by some lady outside Planned Parenthood and they offer free ultrasounds for 'pregnant models' for new techs to learn on. Supposedly, because of my special case study, being 40 and a cancer survivor, i was going to be seen by a trained tech not a student. But the girl seemed very ill at ease when she could not locate the yolk sac or heartbeat. She said I measured at 4 weeks 6 days but my calculations had me at 6.6. She said "I am not seeing what I would expect to see if you were actually 6weeks".

I had no idea what a blighted ovum was. I read all these posts and it feels somewhat comforting to identify, but also frightening when you read of people like Miss Brookesru from 2006 who lost her baby or the sweet postings from the worried husband whose wife had to have a D/C after all. I know losing a pregnancy is not the end of the world, but I want this baby more than I can verbalize and the pain is agonizing.

I go tomorrow to my 'real dr'. I will post a follow up. Thanks for reading and God Bless. - Gina in American Canyon, CA
I am going through the same thing right now :-(. I am 26 and this is my 2nd pregnancy. I have a 6 y/o son. According to my lmp I should be about 6 weeks and 6 days but my first u/s measured me at 5 w 5d and there was a gest sac with no baby and no heartbeat. They now want to measure my hgc levels. I am so afraid and can not stop crying. I have prayed and cried for the last few days but I have found comfort in reading these post and I know that God will have his way in this situation. He is an awesome God and he has the final say! I will keep you all posted on my progress and please keep me in your prayers.
hello! sorry for late response. i was actually trying not to read anything that will just make me stressed. but something tells me to read if there's someone replied in my post, i read your and it made me feel sad for you. but lets just hope for the blessing of GOD, that we just have to ask HIM for HIS blessing and He will do the rest for us. Hoping to be your friend.
It has been a very long 10 days but I had my second ultrasound yesterday and there was my baby and a heartbeat of 146bpm!!!! God is so good and I am so relieved. To finally see the baby and hear the heart beating so strong was a blessing. It was too early. Babies grow and develop at different rates and also like me your dates can be a little off (mine by 5 days). I am now 7 weeks and 3 days. My advice to any mother going through this is to Stay prayerful, take care of yourself, and stay calm. I wish you all the best!!!!
My LMP puts me at 7 weeks 1 day but I had an ultrasound 2 days ago and there was just an empty sac my HCG was 840 I went back today and my HCG was 2040 and they did another ultrasound she said the sac was empty no yolk or fetal pole. She said the sac was more oval than round and she was almost certain I was Miscarrying. My HCG levels put me at 4-5 weeks I am so worried. Someone please help!!!!!
I'm going through the same thing you did in June, except this is technically my 3rd pregnancy.  I have a son, (2+ years old), and I had a miscarriage in Aug 2012 at 10 weeks.  We found out we were expecting again in October. We just had our first ultrasound last Friday 10/19. I thought I was 6wk 3days based my lmp but I was only measuring 5wks 3 days and there was no visible yolk sac.  I immediately did the math, and though I was already a week behind in measurements, this isn't looking good.  I did have a D&C in August and only had one mp prior to conception so my ovulation dates could be off.  I am scheduled to go back 10 days to check for a viable pregnancy.  This has been the longest 10 days of my life. I found confort in your post, and I'm praying my situation is the same as yours.  God is good and everything happens for reason.  
Can any of you tell me how your situations turned out? Based on my LMP... I should have been 7w 5d. All they saw was a pretty large sac. No yolk, no fetus. Now I have to wait a week to go back. This is my first pregnancy and this will obviously be the longest week of my life. They said it's possible I could have just ovulated late...and I'm trying to stay positive and not stress, it's just very difficult.

Any updates ladies? It would really help
I'm 21 yrs. Old  i had my mens last nov. 30-dec.6 and then a beed again dec. 22-23.... I used p.t to chgeck if i'm preggy and yes it's positive, i've been wating this chance.. I had my ultrasound and they found out i am 5 weeks and 4 days pregnant but all they can see is the gestational sac that measures 10.1 mm... I had my bleeding 1 day before i had an ultrasound and repeated after the transvaginal u/s... I i'm worried what's happening to my baby... Is this a sign of miscarriage? Pls help me... I am soooo wooorrried because this is my first baby!!....