Maternal & Child Community
Empty sack on U/S - possible blighted ovum?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I had my last period 05/10, a positive urine test last Tuesday and an U/S yesterday 06/30. The Doctor stated that she did not see anything besides a sack, which even that she stated was very small. She said that by now she should see a h/b but nothing was found. She never mentioned blighted ovum. She did have the lab draw my blood to check for my levels and then I guess again on Friday, which means I will have to wait till Tuesday due to 4th of July on Monday to find out if the levels have risen.
My concern is that this doctor has a hard time finding my uterus..hmm..I assured her that it did not drop out so it should be there. I have 3 children ages 18 to 6 so I know its there.
All three of my kids have been very little the first 4-5 month in utro on growth and U/S's, always putting me almost 3 weeks behind on due dates.
I am wondering that since the Doctor had a hard time even finding my uterus, knowing myself that my babies always shown up as little on U/S and my measurements would it be possible that it might be to early right now to see anything on U/S? I am just a nervous wreck. I am not cramping or spotting/bleeding.
Thanks in advance for any replies
  I'm in the same situation as you are we went on Tuesday for a U/S & they said that they saw a gestational sac without a yoke or fetal pole. We're going tomorrow again for another U/S. All my pregnancy symptoms suddenly stopped(frequent urination & tender breasts) I'm thinking mine might be a blighted ovum. I'll know tomorrow. I'm still hoping for a miracle.
  Do you still have your pregnancy symptoms? If so I would think it is still too early - sometimes they cannot see when it is too early too.
  Good Luck!
boney
I wasn't ever in your situation, but I've read in previous posts about women who were told that the preganacy (pregnancy) wasn't viable and was suggested to have a d&c but as it turned out their baby was fine.  I get so aggrivated with doctors because you can't trust half of them!  My advise would be to swtich doctors.  When I was pregnant with my first child, I switched doctors in my 9th month because the doctor I was seeing let a cold go so long that fluid built up in my lungs causing me terrible pain for 2 days.  It's never too late to switch.  Good luck and I hope everything turns out for you.
Hi All

I would be grateful for any advise any of you can give me. I am 8 w/ks Pregnant. I had a m/c 2 years ago at 12w/ks but u/s showed baby had stopped growing at 8/wks. When i look back i realise pregnancy symptoms stopped at this time. I know i am panicking because of this but symptoms semm to have stopped again this time. My bb's are no longer tender, the desperate hunger and even the tiredness are not so noticable.
I live in Ireland where the maternity monitoring does not seem as detailed as in the States. When i went to my doctor 3 w/ks ago he just told me to come back in 6 w/ks. My last m/c was a very painful experience and would like to be prepared if it is going to be a repeat peformance. Please can anyone give me any advise on waht to do next as i am living off me nerves at this stage. Is there any point in me going to my maternity hospital?
redsonja-
it sounds like you have a pretty good handle on what is going on with you. i know it is hard to play the waiting game but sometimes that's just what we have to do. doctors and techs are people and people make mistakes, follow your gut and your heart, if you don't think anything is wrong (which it sounds that way) then i bet you are fine.

hopefully-
every pg is different, if it is going to turn out to be a m/c there is no way anyone can predict that nor can they stop it.
also my first pg i never had but 2 pg symptoms my entire pg.(heartburn and tiredness) this pg i got nauseous in the beginning but that seemed to just disappear one day, heartburn, but this time i haven't really been extremely tired like i was last time.  as far as the boobs being tender, mine just started that about a weekago and i'm almost 12 weeks, and boy i tell you what in one weeks time i've melons on my chest like you wouldn't beleive i hope they stop growing soon or my nursing bras that i bought for my son aren't going to fit for nursing, infact i think they all reeady won't.  anyway the point is all pg's are different and so try not to worry about loses. have you had an u/s yet? if not do you know when you will get one?

personally i think some doctors in the US are too quick to do u/s giving mothers un-needed stress when all they see is a sac with no other signs of problems.
i wish you both the best
~nanci
I too had the same problem.The first dr. i went to simply stated she thought it was a blighted ovum because i was a week behind in dates,and she couldn't see the fetal pole.She never even prescribed prenates or blood work,and basically said to go home and wait for the miscarriage.I suggest you make a appt. with another dr. as soon as possible,because my second opinion doctor found actually took the time to look for more than 2 minutes and found my baby and the heartbeat.If you are still having pregnancy symtoms (symptoms)[which is a VERY good sign],chances are that its too early.Also,some dr's. use older machines,which can't pick up early pregnancies very well.I think dr's. today do u/s way to early,and end up scaring us half to death!!
did they see a yolk sac on the scan? i don't know much about it but I have heard other ladies mention a tilted uterus, there are comments on posts further down.
Do you still have symptoms? That is a really good sign, I ws told just over a week ago I had most likely blighted ovum, went back 1 week later and saw my baby and a heartbeat!
Stay positive, I'm sure everything will be fine.
Hi everyone, I would really appreciate some advice, this is/was? my first pregnacy.  I came off the pill at christmas and my last period was on 31 March but I didn't get a positive test result until 31 May although I had been testing quite often.  So I am not sure of my dates, the doctors took my dates from the fist day of my last period and said that I was 13 weeks then did a u/s yesterday and told me I had miscarried and wanted to do a d&c there and then.  My notes say "Intrauterine sac present, embryo absent, bulky uterus containing irregular shaped sac, no fetal part seen. u/s appearance suggests incomplete abortion although molar changes cannot be excluded" I told them I was worried that my dates were wrong and they agreed to wait and do another scan in a weeks time, I was in too much shock to ask any questions at the time. Does anyone have any experience of this and can a baby still be ok if it is an "irregular shaped sac"? does the fact that I have a "bulky uterus" mean that my dates are probably right? I spent most of the night awake and have had to stay off work because I keep getting upset, any help would be greatly appreciated
Hello Everyone, I would like to share my experience with you all today. I had checked my Beta HCG last Monday 12th July and the results came out as 774.5 which is about 4-5 weeks according to the result. I was seeing the fertility clinic for nearly a year now and was supposedly due for another check-up on the 29th of July (I am hoping to commence my fertility injection then). I called up the fertility nurse and told her about my Beta HCG result. She asked me to come for an ultrasound today. While conducting the ultrasound, they couldn't see any fetal pole. Gauging by the look on the face of the fertility doctor, it seems something is really wrong. I gathered my strength and asked if they were entertaining a blighted ovum, the doctor explained that because i have irregular periods, the age of gesttation stated at the blood result might be inaccurate. She told me to come back next week for another scan. As of the moment, i really feel so devastated. I feel like my whole world is falling apart. All this time though, i never experienced any morning sickness that often accompanies pregnancy. All i have is my positive Beta HCG test, breast tenderness, easy fatigability and being sleepy as signs. Please pray for me.
I am under the same awful situation at present! I started spotting last week so they sent me to get a scan. I believe I was 4 weeks from conception- not from start of my last period and the lady who did the scan thought I was 5.
They saw everything except a foetal pole and told me to come back in 1.5 weeks to be sure. I have all the symptoms of pregnancy - sickness, sore breasts and tiredness but that doesn't stop me from being sick with worry that I have a blighted ovum because of my spotting and no sign of the bub as yet.
This thread has helped me keep my chin up as I see from above that pregnancy symptoms are a good sign and it might have been too early for them to see anything.

Good luck to all the others that are going through this at present.

Hi everyone! I am praying for you all! I am here due to an ultrasound I had today at 6 weeks... 3rd Pregnancy. I have 3 sacs.. (Mutiples in the family finally caught up with me) One of the sacs in my uterus however appears to be empty. I am totally scared for my other 2 apparently healthy babies. I have looked every wher online and I have read nothing for blighted ovums  accompanied with healthy fetuses. Although my uterus is retroverted (it tilts back) so I am hoping that it is dificulty on the technicians part to view my uterus. This is an emotionalling draining and scary event for ANY women that is told her fetus is abnormal and had apparently died. Alot of your stories have given me hope though. Thank you for that! I shall post later on when I have my next ultrasound.