Maternal & Child Community
Endometrial Ablation & Tubal Ligation-Is pregnancy still possible?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

After my last pregnancy, fraternal twins, I had a tubal ligation. A few years later I had an endometrial ablation to help with the regulation of my periods. I have since divorced and started a new relationship and we would like to have at least one child someday soon. I still have regular periods, and realize that I will have to have my tubal reversed to have any chance of conception, but would like to know what the chances are of us conceiving and having a healthy pregnancy and birth.
We had someone post about a month ago in pretty much your exact situation.  Generally it is dangerous, even life-threatening to try for pregnancy after ablation.  However, like you, she was still having a period every month and so there was some hope that her endometrium was more normal than usual after ablation.  She had done everything right, consulted with specialists (about the ablation) and was on her way to I think Georgia to other specialists have the surgery to try to reverse the tubal ligation.  I would not even consider it if you don't take at least as careful steps as she did.  Be seen and checked, see a reproductive endocrinologist and have a cycle monitored (they will check the thickness of your lining by ultrasound I assume) and see a different specialist about the tubes.  Even to explore the possibility will take money and time and patience, and you will be risking ectopic pregnancy (if the tubes reconnect but with scarring).  Know your risks.  They should be ones the doctor tells you versus anything well-meaning people on the Internet tell you.  You might also talk to the doctor with whom you are consulting about reversal surgery to see if IVF is in fact a more likely way to be successful.  

There is a huge ablation thread on this forum (I think it has over 600 posts) that might be worth reading.  The ladies on there tell what happened for them if they tried to get pregnant and what happened if they accidentally did get pregnant.  You should know their stories too.