Maternal & Child Community
Enlarged Thyroid (PLEASE HELP)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Enlarged Thyroid (PLEASE HELP)

Has anyone had an enlarged thyroid? If so what does it do and how does it affect the baby?
thank you for your help.
i have an enlarged thyroid. there are many diseases with the thyroid and your doc should be able to inform you more about it. mine belive it or not regulated itself with this pregnancy. i have been on pills for 10yrs on and off, but i don't need them right now. i have reseached and found that there is a link between mother's thyroid problems and their children having a lower IQ. i've had children since my thyroid problem and they are well over the level they should be...meaning they are very smart. so just get your TSH levels checked and ask your doc till you are satisfied. there is another mom in this forum that has had trouble with her thyroid during her pregnancy, so like i said...it's different for all.
TSH level, Free T4, Free T3 and for the Thyroid Antibody in the blood.  It can effect the baby's mental capacity and development if your thyroid levels are wrong.  I've had Graves Disease for many years and this pregnancy is the first time its been "normal" in ages.
I have had hyperhtyoid. and now i have hypothyroid.. all throughout my pregnancy.. i have had hypothyroid.... Zane is now a healthy 4 months old... hes already doing things a 6 month old baby does.. take the proper medications.. be vigilant about taking them... get the proper tests... when you feel something might be off.. get tested .. even if you were tested  a week or two before.. sometime ago.. rigth before i became pregnant.. i had an enlarged thyroid.. as long as you take care of YOU.. YOU will do great....
Make sure the doctor checkes your thyroid blood levels.  I was on thyroid meds the entire pregnancy.  After having my first, I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer and hashimoto's thyroidis.  There are some other things that cause enlarged thyroid.  Consider checking with an endocrinologist.
Thyroid disease is pretty common in pregnancy. It may go away after the pregnancy.
But it is VERY important to keep it in check while pregnant. Make sure your doctor gets you on meds and is checking it every couple weeks. Some docs arent very vigilant about it. Not to scare you but it can affect babies development.
Go by the TSH that is the most important indicator. The T3 and T4 arent gona show as much.
Remember YOU have to be vigiliant. Dont let any doc blow it off or make you feel stupid.
The Free T3 and Free T4 will show a better picture rather than just TSH.  Especially if she's Hyperthyroid her TSH could just be off the chart low, and in order to figure out what is going on and what might be the reason or the disease, Free T3 and Free T4 as well as Thyroid Antibody are going to be important in diagnosis.
Myself being hypothyorid when I felt like **** my doc would always check the T3 and T4 and they would always be "normal", but I knew  how I felt. tired, cry skin, hair falling out. So of course he wouldnt adjust my meds.
When I had him start to check my TSH and that would be off then I knew it was time to adjust meds.
Of course they should all probably checked to find out where the person is at at first.
The T3 and T4 are probably better for hyper.

Good reference book The Thyroid Solution
I just got back from the doctor and my thyroid test came back negitive. Which is such a relief.
Mandy there really isnt such a thing as a negative or positive with a thyroid test, its  based on numbers that are in a certain range. If you can actually see that your thyroid is enlarged then there still may be a problem. But I would say as long as your feeling well then you have nothing to worry about.
Good Luck

I agree with Tomel on this.  There are so many numbers and ranges to look through that a negative or positive test isn't really possible.  What exactly where your numbers?  What tests did your doctor do?

Also, you might want to be tested for Mono, it can make the glads around the thyroid enlarge.