Maternal & Child Community
Enlarged uterus, Closed cervix, told false positive pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I am supposed to be about 4-5 weeks pregnant. All hcg's have been doubling for the last week. I had an ovarian cyst rupture this weekend and hcg levels are declining. However, now I am told that I was never pregnant to begin with because it was the ovarian cyst causing the rising hcg levels. The confusion comes from my OB telling me two days ago that my cervix was still closed and the ultrasound showed an enlarged uterus comparable with pregnancy. Has anyone ever run into this situation?
Though an ovarian cyst can produce hCG, it does not ordinarily produce enough to show up on home pregnancy tests.  Were your hCG counts rather low, even though they were doubling?  If the numbers were high, I would ask for more information about the basis of the assertion that your hCG levels came from just an ovarian cyst.  You could have had a chemical pregnancy, which is classically characterized by hCG levels that fade almost as soon as they are detected.

I can't tell you much about the closed cervix as a so-called proof of pregnancy except that a closed cervix is not specific only to pregnancy, it does not gape open all the time during your cycle.   An ultrasound tech's or doctor's comment that a uterus is "enlarged comparable with pregnancy" could just mean that your uterus is a slightly larger size than some women's -- they were a little bit noncommittal there, saying just that the size was "comparable" not that it was "due to pregnancy."  All in all, except that it is won't change the outcome, you might ask the doctor some more questions the next time you go in, especially if your hCG numbers were in the higher ranges.  You could have had a chemical pregnancy, not a false positive, and if it would make you feel better to know for sure, you should certainly ask.  

I am so sorry for your loss, and hope you will have a happier outcome soon.