Maternal & Child Community
Epidural Questions

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Epidural Questions

Hey ladies, I've been considering things for the labor (which I know is awhile off), but I had HORRIBLE back labor with my 2 daughters and I'm kinda worried about that again.  Demoral wasn't the fix all of course, but I have heard great things about Epidurals, so I have a few questions.

1.)  Does the Epidural cath stay in the back during the rest of the labor?
2.)  Do you feel anything at all?  I want to feel my labor to some extent and I want to feel the birthing process, but not the intense hours of back labor.
3.)  What is the a differences between a spinal block and a walking epidural?  
4.)  At what point do they do an Epidural, when is it too late?

Sorry about all the questions, trying to be prepared.
Oh, I'm planning on having my 14 year old daughter in the room with me, along with the fiancee' and probably my parents (not sure about his).  As well as having things filmed this time.  Not sure if those should play a part in my decisions.
I can try to answer a few of your questions. I have had an epidural once five years ago.

1.) When  I had one, the cath did stay in the whole time. But it is tiny and you dont even notice it.

2.) Once I got the epidural, I didnt feel a thing in my stomach. My feel were a little tingly and I had my DH scratch them. I felt that and it felt so good. I think it depends on what kind of epidurals the hospitals have. I keep hearing these stories about the epidurals wearing off.... Mine never did that. It was a continues flow. I guess you could have it removed like when you are 8 CM or so. That way it some of the juice is still lingering in the epidural space.

3.) dont know the difference

4.) They offered me my epidural when I was 3 CM. I didnt have any pain and didnt even feel my contractions. So I said that I would wait until I felt like I needed it. So they gave me the pitocin and broke my water. ( I was induced )
Almost instantly, I was in so much pain that I couldnt handle it. So I got the epidural at about 4CM and was fine from then on.

Hope I helped......
I had bad experiences with both of my epidurals. I have had two natural and two with epidural. My natural births were so much more of a positive experience, even though I had more pain-it was worth it. They screwed up with both of mine. The first one they hit the nerve and I had electric type jolts in my legs. The second one eight years later they hit the main artery/vein in my spine and I had blood squirting all over. These are things that can happen, but they didn't have any permanent effect on me or the baby. I did have a sore back for a few days though, where they insterted the catheter and the scab area was about the size of a pencil. I didn't feel a whole lot when the contractions would come, but I think they turned it off or down when I pushed, because I most certainly felt that! I plan to go natural this time around. I hope I can make it. Sometimes the pain makes you do things you didn't plan to. I think a spinal block is the thing people get when they have a c-section, but I could be wrong.
I have had two epidurals.  Technology has come a long way since I had my daughter in 1991.

I had my ds in 2003.  I had what is called "a walking epidural".  I still had some sensation and could move about if I wanted.  The catheter did stay in.  I topped myself up as needed via an iv.  My husband made me promise to get one this time.

I had a sore spot on my back like after a shot.  No headaches or anything.
Spinal block is where you have NO feeling of your lower body.  I requested an Epidural for my 2nd DS and the anethesologist(SP?) said "UH OH" ... apparently he went beyond the spine and opted to do a SPINAL BLOCK, which was FANTASTIC as far as pain control goes, however, the "UH OH"  resulted in me suffering from "SPINAL HEADACHES" which they tried to fix by removing some of my blood from my arm and putting it in my spine...it didn't work.  One of the nurses' told me these SPINAL HEADACHES would last about 6 weeks...I was a MESS...worse pain I ever felt, and I had 2-10lb babies!  when i was suffering from these headaches, I had a 1-1/2 year old at home as well as the newborn, I was Terrified!!!  I wanted them to try and fix it, and when It didn't work, I wanted to try again...Long story short...the pain went completely away in 48 hours...if I had've known that,I would've left it alone!!!  i had my 3rd baby and decided to go for another epidural, no problems.  i was a little tender at the site of injection for a few days, but no biggie! good luck to you!
I had an epideral with both my other children, and will definetly get one again this time.

It's a tiny needle, but when they insert it into your spine, there is a popping noise and it hurts but that's only for a little while, then you can't feel any contractions or really your lower half.  If contractions are intensive, they'll up the epideral.  

Thank you for the information and experiences, I'm still scared.  I have an issue with my lower back that is irritated when they do spinal taps (which happens far too often because of my Graves' Disease when I get sick).  I just remember the horrible days of labor I had with my 2nd one the most (the first wasn't as bad but I was younger then).  I keep hoping that it goes easy and doesn't include back labor this time.