Maternal & Child Community
Epidurals

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Epidurals

I know we discussed this here before, but as my pregnancy progresses, an epidural is the thing looming largest in my mind.  I had an epidural from hell with my daughter, but am a little worried about not having one also.  My doctor said there's always the chance that the difficulties could be repeated, and is sending me for a consult with anaesthesia ahead of time, but the epidural was THE worst part of my birth experience.  Does anyone else have mixed feelings?  I would love to hear from those of you who went without.  (I am not really interested in the other pain relief options  -it's epidural or nothing for me - hey, that sounds like a song!!! )  ha thanks again for more information.
Hi! I went through my first two births with nothing.  i tried the epidural with my third.  My first two were great because my nurses were very supportive (and so was the nurse on my last delivery...with the epidural).  In ALL honesty I prefer the births WITHOUT the epidural.  I only say that because I felt like I was up and at em much quicker.  I didn't tear at all or anything so it was completely hassle free (Josiah was over 8 pounds and pushed for three hours and still didn't tear).  I massaged vitamin E capsules on my perennium faithfully during my last trimester and I did kegels and i'm convinced that helped.  After I delivered I got up right away and went to the bathroom and felt GREAT! I LOVED the epidural as far as not feeling that pain during pushing but it really was quick to be over w/ out the epidural too! I really enjoyed labor as strange as that sounds..but it was so interesting knowing stages/what my body was doing, etc and working with it to see that baby! what a miracle! Good luck! =)
I have a friend who just delivered in May with no epidural.  She said it was the dumbest thing she ever did.  I had an epidural with my daughter and never felt a single pain through the entire labor and deliver from that point on.  I have a very low pain threshhold and absolutely must have an epidural.  However, I have heard other people who had bad experiences with them.  So I know where you are coming from.  Maybe you could try without and then if the pain gets to be too much to bear ask for one then.  Good luck!
This is a tough choice for a lot of ppl until they actually get into labor I think.  I however had decided early on in the pg I WAS NOT getting an epidural.  The risk of paralization was enough for me not to want it.  I did however have Demerol and it was great.  I will do that again this time around.  My contractions (from what I can remember from 6 yrs ago) felt like stomache flu cramps and the pushing did not hurt at all it was just tiring.  I am scared this time around that I will feel much more pain but hopefully the Demerol will work it;s magic again.  Good Luck to you & I hope you figure out how you will handle the birthing experience.
I have to have the epidural because of a repeat c-section. I opted to have a natural birth the first time with no drugs and ended up needind the epidural due to cephalo pelvic disproportion. In other words, emergency c-section.

Just remember NOT to go in with any definite ideas in mind. Don't go in to labor thinking "I AM NOT going to have drugs! PERIOD. No Way. No How."  Having your baby naturally with no drugs does not make you a hero and you get no special mommy points. Also, if you try for hours to labor withut drugs, and end up needing them anyway, you will be so tired that by the time your baby is born, you may be to tired to nurse or even hold the baby for long.

YOu need to decide what's best for you. Labor is different for everybody and you may find it more pleasant to labor with an epidural. I can't stress enough that pain is relative for everybody. There are no special rewards for a drug free delivery, so if you find that the contractions are a little more painful than you expected, don't feel guilty about screaming "EPIDURAL! STAT!"
YAY! I can't wait to reach the halfway point!!!
I think it all depends on the doctor.  I had an epidural with my first child and it didn't work, but it worked with my other 2.  It was GREAT with the other 2!  ;o)  Any negative side effects could be from an incompetant dr. too.  Good luck!
I was all for an epidural before I went into labor.  My labor progressed very slowly.  After the potosin (sp?) my labor pains came over me fast and furious.  I asked for drugs, but thought I'd get a pain killer, not an epidural so soon.  I was only 1 cm dialated.  The nurse called the doctor and she said to do the epidural.  At that point I was thrilled even though I knew that it could slow down labor.  I ended up in hard labor (pain free for most of it) for 14 hours and never dialated beyond 5 cm.  The baby never even entered the birth canal.  I ended up with a C-section to my dismay.  I would still have an epidural if I had it to do over again, but I would have tried to wait until I was at least 5 cm dialted before I got it.

Do what is best for you!!  Good Luck!!
Wow!  Thanks for all the responses!  I agree with everyone, especially those who said not to have a set idea before labour, which I don't really, but when I think of my first labour which was only 2.5 years ago, all I remember is the horrible pain of the epidural - SEVEN tries to get it in and they finally got it right after 4 hours.  I remember the contractions, too.  They hurt a lot, and once the epidural was in, I was much, much better.  I am leaning towards another one, but it has become a sore point with me. I am afraid to have one and afraid not to!  Anyhow, I appreciate all the advice and support.  I suppose we are all worried about something.  PS I'm halfway there today!!!  karen
I have to TOTALLY agree there! I told my doc that I wanted natural and he said "i'm ALL for that but IF I say you need something please realize I know what i'm doing".  I totally trusted him and had he said some medical intervention was necessary I wasn't about to argue with him.  You can have a labor plan birth plan and every plan but that's not always the way things go.  I just went with the flow and luckily everything worked out the way i wanted to...=)
I had my son without any pain medicine. I was scared the epidural would hurt so I chickened out. But anyway, it wasn't that bad. I had to be cut, but my doctor gave me a local before I started pushing. And after I saw my son I forgot about everything but him anyway. Whatever you decide I wish you the best.