Maternal & Child Community
Evan is Tongue tied.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Evan is Tongue tied.

4652286?1247450243
When I was in the hospital one of my nurses pointed out that Evan is tongue tied, not just a little either, the frenulum is all the way in the front of his tongue making it a heart shape. At first I didn't think it was stopping his ability to latch on but now I think it is, it's like he cant get his mouth open wide enough and he gets really frustrated. He is still eating enough and everything but it just seems a little hard for him. The nurse didn't point it out until after his ped saw him so I didn't get to ask her what she thought. We go on Tuesday and I know one of the options is going to be to cut it.

Has anyone had their baby's tongue cut? What are the pros and cons to it?

He looks goofy in this pic but it was the best one that shows how much his tongue is pulled in in the middle.
It should probably be snipped.  Sometimes they can do it in the office, sometimes not.

my dd's is the same way.  they dont snip right away these days unless there are problems with eating.  if there are issues with speech later on they will do it then.  with addison i can say her tongue seems to have "stretched" out a bit and she can stick it out a bit more.  talk to your ped, mine says to wait.  im slightly tongue tied and my dds desperatly wanted to cut it as a child, well i won lol.  its not as bad as your son or my dd's though.
looks pretty severe- i'm surprised they didn't pick up on it right away. Although, I guess if he was nursing OK, they had no reason to check. My DD had trouble nursing, so that was the first thing that everyone checked.

Normally, I would say wait until your appointment. However, if you think he is getting frustrated feeding, I would give a call today. I am worried that it can affect his latch. Or, if you have access to a lactation consultant, you can have her take a look and see if that's what's causing his frustrations. My LC was incredibly knowledgable about things like that. Good luck, and let us know what happens.

By the way, I just had a little boy in my class who was pretty severely tongue-tied. He also had some significant articulation and speech problems. His ped told his mother not to worry about it unless it affected his speech, but somehow neither of them noticed a problem. He was 5 when we spoke to her about it.
I am a retired RN who worked for an ENT doctor for 12 years.  We did quite a few tongue clips on babies u;nder 1 month old in the office.  If you wait much longer than that the doctor may require anesthesia for the baby.  It is a very simple procedure in the office.
My son was tongue tied.  His first pedi didn't want to do anytihng about it but when I changed his pedi at approx 3 months, I showed her and she was like, "oh we can take care of that right now"  It literally took seconds.. he cried for a moment but I think he was more scared than anything. I held him and after a few moments his crying stopped and that was the end of it.  

A couple of nurses held him still. They put a metal thing in his mouth to hold his tongue up out of the way and the dr snipped it..

My son latched on to the breast okay but stuggles with playtex bottles.. I think it was due to his tongue..  I would get it fixed sooner rather then later..

Aside for speech and feeding issues, I wanted my son to have full use of his tongue.. I thought about later in his life, like the first time he would kiss a girl or something and I just didn't want him to have it as a insecurity..  

I would suggest doing it now while he is still pretty unaware of what is going on..
without numbing the poor kids???!!! how horrible that must have been.  i totally forgot to tell you he is a doll!!  even if done later on its an easy procedure.  the most important issue right now is his ability to eat.  
Thanks for all the input and stories!! We go tomorrow so I will find out then what we should do. I really just hope she wants to snip it, even though it will be painful, I think it'll be worth it.
Both of my kids were tongue-tied.

It was easily taken care of in the doctors office. A numbing spary was used followed by a quick snip, and that was it. They cried, but only because they didn't like being restrained.

The sooner it's taken care of the better.