Maternal & Child Community
Excessive Hiccups

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Excessive Hiccups

My first post
My wife is extremely nervous about the baby having the hiccups all the time.  she is 37 1/2 weeks and the doctor says its fine but she insists that her books and internet information say it could be a problem.  Can anyone give some insight to the issue.  I keep telling her that if our doctor isn't worried, we shouldn't be either.  Am I right?

-Concerned
I just answered a question similar to this below!  Remember that no one here is a physician, we're just a group of ladies (and the occasional gent) who give each other feedback and support with issues of maternal and child health.

Fetal hiccuping is not generally something that is considered dangerous.  It is most often a GOOD sign of a healthy baby.

But as I mentioned before, ANY SUDDEN OR UNUSUAL change in the baby's normal movement patterns merits reporting to the doctor.  When you say your baby has hiccups ALL THE TIME, do you mean 24 hours a day, or a few times a day?  I'd be quite concerned if it was 24 hours a day, which is what all the time means to me.

If it is just a several times a day thing, I would be inclined to agree with your doctor.  

Good luck to you.
Christie: Thank you for your input.  It is not "all the time".  there are always long breaks, anywhere from 2 to 6 hours between the occourances. Being that this is our first baby, every little thing is new to us so a board like this is extremely helpful and comforting.  Thank you
You are welcome, and come back to tell us about your little one!

We don't get a lot of men here.

Again, anything that is sudden, different, or unusual for your unborn baby should be taken seriously.  But if this is generally your baby's pattern, and it's just a few times a day, follow your docs advice.
My daughter had hiccups from when I was about five months pregnant all the way through the pregnancy...She got them a lot. She was born healthy and I am going to knock on wood as I say this she is a 1 and a half old and never been to the doctor for an ear infection or any other sickness...just her well baby appointments...Don't worry I liked when she got them because I could feel her!
My daughter had hiccups  alot when I was pregnant. Her delivery was great and she was very healthy. She is now 4 years old and still gets the hiccups alot, but so does my DH so I think it is herediatary.

Good luck with the rest of her Pregnancy.
I doubt you have anything to worry about but if it will put your wife at ease, demand an u/s and speak up to your dr.  about it. Sometimes a mother's intuition is not something to be ignored.  Every few hours seems like a lot to me although I'm sure she's fine...  I too felt my baby got the hiccups a lot in utero and she was fine but if it will ease her mind, make'em look, it's not a big deal....
my grandson had hiccups all through the pregnancy. He is 1.5 weeks and hiccups for an hour or two at a time, approximately 10+ times a day. He is a cleft lip baby so maybe air getting in?  Or are there any syndromes that are related to excessive hiccups?

1st time grandma,
Shelly