Maternal & Child Community
Excessive hunger and cravings!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Excessive hunger and cravings!!!

I am 2 months pregnant with my second child, my daughter is 9 months. When I was pregnant with her my appetite stayed pretty normal, I've always liked food and love to eat, but I had very few real "have to have it" cravings. So now I can't stop thinking about food!!! I'ts like an addiction, always craving everything my mind lands on. I can just keep eating and eating and seem to never get full. After I eat a whole meal I'm already thinking of what I can eat next and I end up making myself sick at times. I know cravings are normal during pregnancy but this is starting to get out of control. I'm not skinny by any means but i'm not really overweight either. I just dont know how to control this. If anyone has any advice please let me know! I feel if I keep going at this rate i'll be way unhealthy when it comes time to have my baby (and broke!)
well each pg and each person is different.  i had times where i was hungry and could not be filled up.  i think the most important thing is to eat healthy and not cookies or fries, easier said than done i know.  
I'm sorry its take so long for someone to respond to your post.  I'm sure we didn't intentionally try to just skip over you.  

: ) First off, welcome.  I don't know much about your new hunger and cravings.  Unfortunatly I have a rare stomach disorder and eating just really doesn't work out for me.  I wouldn't think it to be a huge problem, but I would mention it to my doctor next time I saw him.  With my first pregnancy I didn't have health issues, so I kinda remeber that.  I found that if I ate too much, I got sick.  If I didn't eat at all, I got sick.  It worked better for me to eat 6 meals then 3 big ones.  I really didn't count cause I'm to lazy for that.  I just snacked though out the day.  Also when I waited so long to eat I had a tendecy to eat everything in the kitchen at one time then like you said...got sick.  If your having a craving for something (and its even somewhat healthy) go for it.  Whatever it is it probably has something you need to grow your munchkin.  With me its been sharp cheddar and grapes... no idea why.  Not suppost to eat either of those cause they are really hard to digest, but sometimes I have to break down...I play for it later, but thats another story.  Then every now then its cookies and thats fine to have on occasion as long as its not all your eating all day.  Hope this helps.  Take care!
Thanks for responding! I feel loved :) lol. Anyways I'm not really craving healthy things, just anything I see that looks like it would taste good I have to have. I am very busy during the week going to school full time and then working after school until late at night. I usually grab something fast during my break like tacobell and instead of only ordering 2 things I end up getting like 4 and making myself finish it because I don't want to waste food. Then I get stuff out of vending machines. I don't have much time to go grocery shopping or make lunch in the morning. I need to start having my bf do all the shopping (don't know if that is such a great idea...lol). Anyways, I look forward to speaking with you all in the future
Wow, I'm really proud of you and I felt I needed to tell you.  When I was pregnant with my son I also was a full time student and worked part time.  It was tough, but it was well worth it in the end.  Its a hard thing to do and I admire you that your sticking with it.  And you've got a baby at home!!: ) Good job!  I know when your that busy it makes it that much harder to eat healthy, but try to do your best.  I know when I found out I was pregnant with this baby it took me about a month to adjust to being preggo again.  Phew!  The first few weeks went by soooo slow, I rember thinking this was going to be the longest 9 months ever.  LOL, maybe you just need a min. to get back in your "groove".  Like I said eating for me now isn't all that great, but with my first I just had to make myself cut back.  There was a book put out afew years ago.. it was "French women don't get fat".  Can't say that I read it, but I did see it on Opera.  The author said that the french view food differently than americans.  Most americans are in such a hurry, they eat infrount of t.v.s, they constantly have fast food, and they eat so quickly it seems like they just shove it down their throats.  Also it takes about 20-30 min. before your brain get the signal that your full.  If you constantly eat quickly your at a higher risk that you'll eat too much and feel crumy.  The french usually sit down to eat.. you've seen them in their cafes.  They eat slower and take the time to actually taste the food.  One french lady always used good china even if she just microwaved a frozen dinner.. they also take the time to notice the presentation of the food.  They had a "one bite" rule I found to be interesting.  If they want something (like a craving- cake, cookies, etc) they have it and don't beat themselfves.. here is the catch:  They only take one bite (I've used this rule before, but mine is usually the 3 bite rule!)  They say you can get as much satifaction from one bite as you can from the whole cake.. just savor it and think about the texture, the taste, ect.. you enjoy it, you don't have to have the whole cake, you don't have to worry about super weight being put on, and no guilty feelings.  Maybe some of that can help too.. I'm just tossing around some ideas.

If you still need to hit up the vending machines.. try popcorn or nuts.. they are more healthy then a candy bar everyday and they keep you full longer.
I agree with Mom2be530.  It is really tough going to school and working.  I had to work two jobs, one at family dollar, and the other was a babysitting job watching 4 kids that required me to work when the lady worked(she worked at family dollar also), so I almost didnt have a day off.  (I couldnt even have my 1st anniversery off).  On top of that, I went to school two days a week.  I went on Tuesday mornings from 830am till 1130am, then Tuesday nights from 4pm till 10pm, and then Thursday mornings from 830am till 1130am.  It is so much work.  On top of that, you have a baby already.  That has got to be hard.  I wish you the best of luck.  As for the eating, I agree with everyone.  EAT HEALTHY.  It is the hardest thing to do almost because pregnancy cravings arent usually healthy.  I couldnt eat healthy, and I regret that, but I guess in the end, the kids are so worth it.  Good luck with work, school, and you children.  God Bless you all.
Kelly,

I know EXACTLY what you are going through.  I am 12.5 weeks with my first and am ALWAYS hungry!  lol.   Also, if I find if I don't eat by a certain time, or don't eat enough, I get nauseated - so I eat more than I used to at meals and feel like I am always thinking about food.  So far, I have put on 10 Ibs (mild nausea alleviated by eating, so I havent actually been sick at all) and am hoping this extreme feeling of hunger subsides as I go into the 2nd trimester.
Thank you so much for your support! I get really depressed sometimes not knowing how to cope with all of this stress, maybe thats another reason why I'm eating so horribly. I miss my daughter so much during the week (I feel tears starting right here in class). I only see her when I get home at night and she's already asleep or in the morning for a few mins while I get ready to send her off again. I'm afraid she is going to think that her grandma is her mom. My boyfriend feels so horrible that I have to work too, he wants to be able to take care of us on his own. I have been with him since I was 4 months pregnant with my daughter, I feel bad sometimes because I feel like I brought him down with me and he has so much responsibility that he didn't have to take on. But I am also so proud of him for working as hard as he does. We don't se eachother very often so it's hard.

Anyways, I'm just rambling now...lol. I don't really have anyone to talk to that isn't judgemental and who understands how I feel. My boyfriend listens to me but he can't give the kind of advice another woman can. Thanks agin, Kelly
That must have been difficult! I cant imagine having to babysit 4 kids. Thanks for the luck...I'm gonna need it for sure :)
Yay! I'm glad I'm not alone...lol. Yeah hopefully it's just a first trimester thing! I think I just need to think about what I'm eating before I actually eat it.
I know its hard to be a working mom.  I was still in school and working after I had him as well.  I had to go back to it all 4 weeks after having him.  I would leave at 5:30 am, be in class till 4:30 everyday, then I would go to work at 5pm, and get home around 11 pm.  Then I had home work and had to takecare of a infant.  I was so hard on me.  I had to watch his first smile on video because I was at work and couldn't be there.  Little things like that are difficult.  My mom also watched my son.  I though as you did that maybe he would think she was his mom.  Its not true.  Babies know their moms at the secound they are delivered.  They know your voice and your smell, your their first.  I had to spend a lot of time away from my son till I graduated.  I missed out on somethings, but I just cherish the time I did have with him.  He knew I was mom, grammy is great, but they still LOVE their mommas!  I hope everything works out for you and your boyfriend.  He seems like a really good guy.  ; ) look me up if you ever need to "just talk".  Take care!