Maternal & Child Community
Excessive swelling after delivery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Excessive swelling after delivery

I just gave birth last Wednesday and haven't notice my swelling feet until the day I came back from the hospital.  It's so swollen that I can't see my ankles.  Is that normal?
My sister also had swollen feet to the point where they looked scary. Her dr suggested soaking them in warm salty water (double check with your dr since I don't remember for sure).
I had that so bad it looked like I had Fred Flintstone feet.  They were so painful, I thought the skin was going to tear.  Elevate them high as much as you can and drink lots of water.  Mine went away after two weeks or so after giving birth.
You'll pee out the excess water weight soon enough.  In the meantime, soaking, elevating and skin-creaming will ease things.
Totally and completely normal. I had it after both my deliveries and it lasted about a week with the 1st and about 4 days with the 2nd. Drink tons of water (which you'll need to be doing if you're nursing) and keep your legs elevated.
It happend to me REALLY bad. I couldn't even put on loose sandals that I had worn to the end of my pregnancy. After about 4-5 days, my feet started to go back to normal.
My friend said it happened to her too.
Yeah I had post eclampsia with my first and my blood pressure shot up so far they put me on strict bed rest and isolated me form the rest of the ward. They also made me stay in hospital for observation for 5 days. It was hell. If you fell at all unwell or dizzy see a doctor.
I was just reading my American Baby mag. And they were talking about this, I think it was the sept issue.  Anyways they said that most people don't know and even the ER docs don't know, but that you can get Post precamsia (sorry bad speller) even if you didn't have it durning pregnancy.  Anyways they said it can some times be dangerous.  I would talk to your OB doctor about it.  Good luck.
Thanks for that info. I did not know that either, and thought it was just normal. Now I know if I go through that with this baby, to call my Dr.
I had my baby girl August 2007 but my feet legs arms and hands still swell from time to time.  To be honest have never lost the swelling wholly after the birth.  Doctor had prescribed water retention tablets recently but no luck there either.  any suggestions please.
mine started when i had my first kid... but it wont go away it just seems to get worse my feet swell my fingers my knees and even my face and it hurts so bad... i dont know what to do because its not going away...
No this is not normal, after delivering my daughter, I had swelling in my legs and feet, it turned out it was high blood pressure, good thing i went to the doctor, he put me on fluid pills (LASIX), I even lost 5 pounds in 3 days because of all the fluid I had.  Go see or call your doctor, your pressure could be up and that could be very dangerous.
i i have my baby last October 2 2008 so almost 7 weeks but i still have this problem my whole body still swelling and i don't know what to do my partner told me that i need to exercise drink a lot of water but i do everything that but still and then i talk to one nurse she told me that maybe i need to take rest but still so anybody have any ideal tell me whats this.............thanks
PLEASE go see a doctor and also suggest Postpardum Cardiomyopathy!  INSIST that they do an electrocardiogram.  This condition is overlooked by doctors ALL the time and is extremely serious! I had heart failure after I had my daughter in 2007.  No one knew this until now (19 months later) but I have Postpardum Cardiomyopathy.  I became so swollen after about the 2nd day coming home from the hospital that I could not breathe and refused to sleep because I thought I was going to die.  I could not bend my legs to get in the car to do to the ER.  When I did get to the ER the doctor told me I was just having a panic attack and sent me home.  Two days later I was even worse so I got in to see my OBGYN and she gave me a diuretic.  I lost 35 lbs in ONE day from fluid!  19 months later after SEVERAL doctors and many that had no answer for me I have been diagnosed.  I am very lucky that I didn't die!  And had it not been for finally getting a diuretic I would have.  Get a diuretic!!!!!
My feet were swollen for 14 months after my daughter was born it was hell now if I sit too long my feet swell and my daughter is 5 now. I always avoided sitting too long but due to the economy I took a desk job and now my feet swell and hurt everyday I am considering filing for disability it hurts so bad.

What was the diagnosis?  I am a little scared because my pressure was fine during pregnancy and started going up after birth.

Any special treatment.
I had 3 kids, and 3 months after each one i would swell up from my abdomal and down. I would stay swollen for about a year, sometimes a bit longer. My doctor took every test known to man to try to figure out what was happing with me. I have been referred to reffered to reffered. And truth be told,  Nobody has figured out to why I swell up exactly 3 months after I have a baby.

I do have a friend who swelled up right after giving birth to her daughter. I told her to get it checked out, she tried, but her doctor refused to do anything and told her it was post delivery swelling and it will go away. 6 weeks later she was admitted to the hospital because she was having troubles breathing. The hospital did an xray and saw a huge mass in her lungs. The mass was a blood clot the size of an adult fist. She had to go in and have emergancy surgery, and she ended up dying on the table. It was sad and emotional day.

I'm telling all of you, go seek help. I may not have found out to why I swell up, but at least I got checked. I had ultrasounds done on my legs, my lungs and my heart. I've had a kidney byapsy. You need to get tested. You don't want to end up like my friend. Because now her daughter is to grow up with out her.
This is a sign of postpartum cardiomyopathy. I had it after having my daughter. In a lot if women it does not get real bad and can go away on it's own. In my case it got real bad real quick. They found out purely by accident and by that time I was told I should have never made it to the hospital. It had already developed into congestive heart failure and I ended up spending a good part of the first month after giving birth in icu. In my opinion you should always have them check for it especially if swelling is accompanied by high blood pressure or congestion. They have their high risk patients and don't bother checking the rest of us. I was as low risk as it comes and it almost killed me.
Oh and one thing I found out about the cardiomyopathy is that antibiotics work great. They told me it would be at least six months before any sign of recovery and I could go into cardiac arrest at anytime, I was on transplant list, and told would be on heart meds the rest of my life. I found a doctor that specialized in this. He did have me on heart meds but also fed antibiotics straight to my heart. A month later my heart was completely normal. I was taken off all but the blood pressure meds at that time and was taken of blood pressure meds a year later. My heart is still completely normal.
I'm a dad and thanks for all the info will try them out and see cuz me gf is in real pain thanks again will let u guys know the outcome