Maternal & Child Community
Excessive thirst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Excessive thirst

Hello ladies! I know I haven't been here for a while, but me and DH were so busy lately.. But now I'm back and I have a question, because I've been so, so thirsty lately that I'm getting scared now. My grandfather and his son (my uncle) both have diabitis and now I'm scared that I might have the same thing. I drink 1 gallon of water per day and I'm still thirsty... when I eat something sweet is even worse (I can drink 2 glasses of water and feel thirsty after that!!!) In September the doctor did all kinds of blood tests (in order to find the reason for my m/c-es), so I'm thinking... could the tests detect something like diabitis? I'm still waiting for my fsrt appointment and I'm wondering what the heck is going on? Any suggestions?

Maybe you should see your doctor sooner.  Excessive thirst and excessive urination can be a sign of diabetes.  Your doctor can order the appropriate tests to make sure.  Do you have any other symptoms such as weight loss or dizziness??
I don't think they would routinely screen for diabetes in an m/c work up.  Try not to stress out, tell your doctor what has been going on.
ARe you pregnant now? If you are than you could have gestational diabetes. I would call your Doc and ask for a diabetes test. It is a blood test that they take after fasting and perhaps taking a sugar substance. Don;t hesitate to call as texsessive thurst is a major symptom. Good Luck to you.
GNicole, I don't have any other symptoms. I read a lot about diabitis and its symptoms and I can't think of anything else.
I had the same problem few weeks ago, then all of the sudden I was ok and the last few days-I'm having exactly the same thing AGAIN!

anxiousmomtobe?, I'll ask about that too.

jackiemoo, yes, I am 13 weeks. And I'll definately ask for the test. I hope I'll see my doctor by the end of this week.
I'm so worried, that's all I need right now!

Thank you all.