Maternal & Child Community
"Exclusively breastfed"

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

"Exclusively breastfed"

Okay, this might sound like a dumb question, but I read on various websites, pamplets and brochures and hear from my doctor and friends the term "Exclusively breastfed" and the benefits to babies if they are "exclusively breastfed" for longer periods of time. So, my question: Is my son "exclusively breastfed" if he is given bottles of breastmilk while I am at work and nursed when I am at home? He has never had anything but breastmilk and is 3 1/2 months old, but is not "exclusively nursed". It is about half and half. All evening, night and first morning feedings are nursing and then bottle during the day of my pumped milk. I know the question might sound stupid, but pumped milk in a bottle counts, right? I just don't know if taking that extra bonding between mom and baby out of the picture during the day takes away from some of the benefits to baby, not to mention that the milk isn't "fresh" from the tap for some of his feedings. Hmm...
an exclusivley breastfed baby is a baby that has only ever had breastmilk and never forumla

if your baby has only ever had breastmilk for a certain period then he was exclusivley breastfed for that period

it doesnt matter if he got it straight from you or if you expressed it at an earlier time

x
Yes, your baby is exclusively breastfed, just like mine:))) how long are you planning to breastfeed for? When are you going to introduce solids or rice cereal?

I'm asking cuz I wanted to give my baby nothing but breastmilk for the first 6 months, but his pediatrician thinks I should give him some rice cereal now. Today he's 4 and a half months... but he's really big, he already weights 19 lbs!!! And I don't know what is best for him?
My pediatrician for Lilith (who is 2 months old) told me to not give her even cereal till she's 6 months unless I wanted to try some at 4 months because I'm working.  Else he said that to breastfeed only till 6 months was what he'd like to see.  Hope that helps.
as an exclusive pumper, this is a sensitive topic (it was hard to find a group online, but i did!!!)
yes, brody is exclusively breastfed!
I am glad this worked for you ladies! I had my son 2 months early, and was able to pump so he was given just breast milk for the first 2 1/2 months. I was very upset when I lost my milk supply, and his pediatrition put him on formula:( We tried breast feeding, but he had developmental delays that prevented him from being able to keep his attention focused on it. He is 4 months old now, and we get to start cereal at 6 months:) I can't wait to stop giving him formula!!!! Its sad. Good Luck.
Yay (: I thought so, and I know it was kind of a silly question, but it just made me think so I knew I could ask it here! Oh, and I don't plan on giving Brody cereal 'til at least 6 months. He was 5 weeks early, so I was thinking of even waiting 'til he's 7 months but we'll see. I plan to give him only breastmilk either by nursing or bottle or in his cereal until he's weaned. I hope to never have him drink formula. It's just a goal of mine (:
i know its hard when you are unable to breastfeed...but i would just like to add that formula today is a very good alternative to breastfeeding whether you choose not to breastfeed or are unable to breastfeed. formula has come such a long way and provides babies with the essential vitamens and minerals they need. i am in no way disparaging breastfeeding, i would just like to make this point so that first time moms dont read this post and think giving their babies formula is a bad thing. while breastfeeding is best - moms who cannot breastfeed shouldn't get discouraged. many babies thrive on formula as it provides them with all the nutrients they need to be healthy, happy, children.