Maternal & Child Community
Experiences of 4th time c-section

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Experiences of 4th time c-section

I'm a mother of 3 sons aged 15, 13 and a 3yr old. They were all born by ceasarean one planned and spinal and two were emergency c-sections. We wish to try for another baby hopefully a GIRL, but knowing have to undergo another c-section concerns me quite a bit. Would like to know others experiences especially of those who did undergo a 4th one, and if its encouraging or if I should avoid another pregnancy i.e. also another c-section. Thanks and waiting for some replies.
I've heard it both ways - although I've heard more often that a doctors say 3 should be your max.  It's important for you to call your own doctor and understand what he recommends.
A friend of mine has had 4 Emergency C-Sections, unfortunately two of her Angels didn't make it.  Her Fourth C-section, this was the healthiest of all 4 babies and she had to have the C-section because of low fluid, not because of previous c-sections.  She has recovered just fine!  She is very active and physically fit, you may want to start doing crunches to strengthen your ab muscles.  I had a c-section with my first (breech) and will have another C-section in February.  I am also in good physical condition and work out regularly.  My recovery was also very quick with my first c-section, I was up and walking that night (never needed follow up pain medicine either) and running 4 miles a day 6 weeks later.  It is possible if you doctor says so!

Good luck!
I have had 6 births - 3 of them c-section. The first section was 8 years ago, second 4 years ago and third 6 months ago. I am currently nearly 18 weeks pregnant and will be having my 4th c-section with this baby. My third section was complex and it took them 20 mins to get to baby. The scar was poor healing as it didn't hold together very well and was splitting open up to 6 weeks afterwards. However despite this and the fact that I got pregnant just 11 weeks after the third section, the drs that I have seen so far don't seem too bothered and when i asked if i was at risk of uterine rupture during the pregnancy they thought not. I was told there was no medical reason to terminate the pregnancy - they did say however that the pregnancy and c-section would be complex and difficult. That is probably becuase of the short time gap rather than it being the 4th section.

Can you go and see the dr you would see during pregnancy beforehand so you can discuss with him/her ?
Thanks so much for the replies. Yes of course, first thing we should do is visiting our Dr., apart of having already 3 c-sections my last baby was born premature,BP is another problem and so things are not easy for me. Must think so carefully before planning although I do believe nothing is impossible. After all my mother is one of those who had 4 c-sections first one forty years ago. The truth is that these days doctors makes it very strict to avoid another pregnancy after a 3rd c-section. I'm confused, so confused the wish for having another Baby is tormenting me and it's much serious as the truth is apparently I wish a GIRL and not just another baby!!!!!!
I've had four C-sections with no problems at all.But after the fourth one the doctor recommended to tie my tubes because my uterus was too thin. I wish I could have more babies...but no more for me...I'll have to wait for grandchildren!!!!
Maria
I am pregnant with my 4th baby and will have it by c-section, like all the others.  I met with my Dr two times before getting pregnant this time, and she said that my other three went well and that yes, there are more risks, but that this one should be fine.  I guess we'll see in Sept!  :)  I plan to get my tubes tied during the surgery, because I think 4 is enough for me.  :)
I too am Pregnant with my Fourth child  and have also had three previous sections. The first was 8 years ago and was an emergency c-section,the second was 12 months later. Both times i was up and about within the first 12 hours. My third section was 2 years ago,this one was more uncomfortable and took me longer to get out of bed and i found i was in more pain. We always knew that we would have another child that is why i didn't want my tubes tied. But wasn't quite sure if i was ready but as they say everything happens for a reason and was i am over the sickness and tiredness i will start to feel a lot more positive. I am scared about having a fourth section because of how uncomfortable i was with my third. But this time i will be having my Tubes tied.As dont think my body would cope with any more sections.... :-)  
how many c sections is too many?? i myself have had 6 the last one being six months ago and after being on birth control to keep from getting pregnant i found out that im pregnant again where will i find a doctor that will deliver my baby...i have also heard that i could still try vaginal is this possible....
Hi. i am pregnant with twins and have already had 4 c section has anyone out there been in this position. thanks
I have 8 children.  4 sections and 4 natural.  I am expecting my 9th and she will be a section.  It does get more painful and the risks do get higher however, you can find a doctor who will work with you if you try hard enough.  This will likely be my  last, I am now 34, but I wouldn't change my experiences for ANYTHING!
hi i've had 3 c sections and all 3 boys due to my babies being very small as my placenta does not send enough nutrition to the babies hence they dont grow but would like to try for a girl now, is it ok is there any health issues my youngest is now nearly 3. some body give me some advice

erin
I am also pregnant with my fourth child. I am going in on Monday to have him via c-section. Just wanted to throw something out to the women who are having their tubes tied during their section. I had my tubes tied after the birth of my daughter 15 months ago, and her I go again! So if you do not want any more children after your tubal, still practice some other means of birth control, I am living proof that you can get pregnant after a tubal ligation.
Hi, I've had two c-sections and both went well, and am considering having two more children via c-section.  My doctor outlined the risks of having four or more c-sections, but they seem like risks that I would be willing to take.  Can anyone tell me how the fourth c-section was for them and what made you decide that it was safe enough?  Thanks so much and good luck to everyone!
i have had 3 c sections and i really want another baby when my sons 1 year old, this will be my 4th c section, can anyone share with me about 4th c sections please. thankyou :-)
im scared also thi is my 4th i have 4 boys and im finaly having a girl
I've also had 4 c sections, and I did well with it. I'm not making any suggestion for anyone to do this, but I'm just saying that it is possible. Just pray and have faith, that the lord see you through. That's what I did. Congratulations, and GOD bless.  
i have also had 3 previous c-sections my first ,9 years ago second 7 years ago and third 4 years ago and i would love to try again to see if we could have a girl . i have been told im ok to do so because my other ones went so well i healed brilliantly . and im a big lass . iv also been told the longer you leave each one the better it is for your previous scars because they then become stronger and also  the lining of the whome aswell . hope my advice helps you.

i think im going to loose some weight then ill think about trying again but i wouldnt go by 4 to be honest x good luck everyone !
I had an emergency c-section over 2 years ago due to a prolapsed cord. The incision is mostly vertical. What I am wondering is when you go in for a second c-section - where do they cut? Would it be vertical or horizontal?
i have had 3 c sections the last one was 8mths ago what can i expect im kind of scared worried ill lose the baby or somthing happening to me should i worry
I have had 3 c sections and with the third c section i had a seizure and really high blood pressure...They had me on magnesium and wouldnt let me eat for three days due to the seizure.Plus i didnt eat the night before cuz of surgery and my surgery was at 7 am...They wouldnt let me eat after surgery.. i had the seizure 14 hours after surgery. then they wouldnt let me eat foralmost three days after my seizure .. I was on a clear liquid diet ...   Pre eclampsia is a issue also due to having lot of babies... It can also cause strokes ... My two c sections before that was fine... But people have different bodies... I say if you start throwing up alot and are really dizzy with a headache after you have the c section to let the nurse know immediately... Shoot I'm scared to get pregnant again lol......
I am on my fourth C-section and very scare. Sometimes when I think about it all I can do is cry, but my doctor said I didn't have a whole lot of scar tissue with my last one, so that is great. They took picture of my uterus and my scar and I am just hoping that I didn't developed a whole lot after my last. I just want to ask ladies, how did anything want with there fourth C-section and was you in there very long? I have my baby in October and God and my husband is with me and God is with the ladies that about to go threw with their fourth one and good luck to everyone!!!!!!!!!
hi, I have five children at the moment, had my first child normal six years ago and my second pregnancy was complicated emergency csection  two preemi babies twins they 5 now and my third pregnancy was three years later my daughter is 3 going to four my youngest is going to be 2, I am currently pregnant at the moment and the doctor told me I be at risk of dying and complications and I want to keep my baby but my husband wouldn't handle five kids alone.  I need a second opinion please I am between a rock and a wall.