Extra Placenta
I have a friend who just had a baby at the beginning of January.  She continued to have cramping for several weeks after delivery.  They did an ultrasound and found a mass in her uturus.  They did a D&C and it turned out to be placenta.  The placenta to her baby was whole so they do not know where it came from.  They were not able to get it all out and now she has to go see a specialist.  Has anyone experenced this and/or does someone know what it might be.  Is it possible she miss carried a twin at the beginning of her pregnancy and this is the placenta from that?  She did bleed at the beginning of the pregnancy.  Thank ahead of time for any information.
Are you sure that there isn't just a peice of plactenta that was left behind?
It happens all the time, even when they seem to deliver a full placenta.
Are you saying that there was a full size additional one?  If so, never heard of that before, and  most people probably haven't either.
When I had my daughter I had an extra sack but not an extra placenta.  Sorry I can't offer any help
It happens sometimes that the placenta can look whole, but a piece is still there.  Sometimes there is a condition where there is an extra lobe on the placenta, and it shears of and is left behind. The rest of the placenta appears whole.

Not common, but not unheard of.  Or the doctor wasn't being very careful, didn't look at the placenta carefully, and is now trying to cover his behind by saying it was "whole".  Also not unheard of.