Maternal & Child Community
Extreme hair loss 3 months Post Partum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Extreme hair loss 3 months Post Partum

My DD turned 3 months old on 12/12. For the last month or so I have been shedding my hair like crazy. It is coming out in big clumps! My DH even noticed a small bald spot near my temple this pm. I know that this can be caused by hormones but this seems really extreme and I am really worried I am going bald. I am still taking my prenatals and have a pretty decent diet. Has anyone else experienced this? When will the shedding stop?
Yes, it is totally normal. I have had 5 babies and had it happen each time. It lasts for a couple of months and then stops.
If it keeps up, see a dermatologist.  There are some conditions that can occur after pregnancy that can lead to hair loss.  It could very well be normal, but keep an eye on it.
I do hair & most mothers say with the more children they have the worse it seems to be, but w/in several monthes they usually all start getting new hair that tends to stay rooted :) Good Luck, you r your best judge though, if u think it just keeps getting worse see a Derm. to ease your concerns!!
I agree with myproblem.  I've heard it's common to have a thyroid condition post partum.
It wouldn't hurt to mention it to your Dr, and maybe get your thyroid checked. It could be normal, but thyroid problems can show up after a baby, and can cause severe hair loss.
Sounds like hypothyroidism.  Ask you doctor to check your TSH...anything over 3.3 needs to treated.  Best wishes.
I am 3 months postpartum too and noticed the past 2 weeks my hair seems to be everywhere.  My hair was very thick to start with and got even thicker while pregnant.  Not so anymore.  I wast thinking will taking vitamins help????
I lost a lot of hair this time (3-6m as many women report) and it was really bothering me, but now (7.5m) I see a lot of short hairs at my temples. But your son is only 3m and you can already see a bald spot, so I agree I would definitely see a doc. It can't hurt!
I just had baby nr 3! after 3months nowmy hair is falling out again!
And it's funny cause when i had my 1st one! she will be 4 i noticed that my hair was falling out exspecially in the front the lil thin hairs that u have, and corners.
After a while they grew back.
Then 2 years later i had my lil boy and after 3months it started again but mostly like i said in the front and with him only one corner.
The same! they were allready growing back and 10 1/2 months later i was pregnant again.
I had my lil girl 3months ago and here i am loosing the ones that were half way growing back allready.
And here is the funny part! after having a girl again im loosing them in both corners again.
I know they will be growing back, but man! it's hard 2 fix your hair when u dont have it in the front 2make it look a lil better :)
I know it does get depressing after a while of loosing so much hair,but it will get better.
The stress will just make it last longer.
I had this at exactly the same time and it lasted for a few months!  I was scared to wash my hair as it was coming out by the handful!  It finally went away..
I had an extreme extreme amoutn of hair loss while I was pregnant, since I have had him (he is now 8 1/2 months old) my hair has gotten thicker then it has ever been in my life! My cosmetologist even noticed the difference and said she was jealous..lol One thing I hate though is the new hair that isn't as long as the rest and sticks straight up or out now..lol Gosh I can't wait for it to all grow out the same!!
I was experiencing the same problem - my hair was coming out in clumps. In a matter of a couple of weeks I lost half the hair on my head. Everyone says there is not much you can do about it but regardless I decided to try continuing my breastfeeding vitamins (Elevit w/Iodine) as I was indeed BF.. I was also taking Vitamin D and Iron supplements. I went to a healthfood store and bough Hair Food Plus which has elevated levels of Biotin and Zinc which is responsible for healthy hair. After about 4 to 5 days - a HUGE improvement where hardly any hair is falling out. Hopefully it will last but so far no hair on the floor, my clothes or in the shower drain.
My son is just about to turn 4 months old. I never had hairloss with my first born, although this time, I woke up one morning and i was BALD on both sides of my temples. I and already on thyroid medication. I have never had this happen and am freaking out....
Bald