Maternal & Child Community
Extreme thirst in pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Extreme thirst in pregnancy

I'm in the first trimester of my pregnancy, and just in the last few days I have been EXTREMELY thirsty.  I've cut out my one Coke a day because I just can't take it anymore.  I'll drink a whole glass of water only to be thirsty again almost immediately.  

Looking online, the only thing I can find that associates thirst with pregnancy in concerning gestational diabetes, but I'm not overweight, I have no family history, and I have none of the other common symptoms.  

I don't remember this happening when I was pregnant with my son!  Does anyone else have this problem?  I also end up feeling really bloated from having to drink all the time.

yesssss i was wondering about it to, i am constantly drinking water my mouth always feels hella dry and my lips are extremly chapped, and i feel bloated either way, im not sure if it is spose to happen or not, but i know im feeling the same way...
Not too sure about this one, but I bet it has something to do with your rising horomones.  They can make weird things happen.  That is your bodies way of telling you to keep the water coming.  Maybe you can try like propel or someother water based drink if you get tired of drinking plain ol water.  I know I cannot stand any kind of water except Evian(sp)and it is hard to find around here. So I drink lots of propel. Strawberry Kiwi is really good. Keep us posted!
amber
just wanred to say you most definatly do not have to be overweight to develop gd ask your doctor about your symptoms also it is ver normal to get extremly thirsty throughout pregnancy i did with all of mine i am also a midwife and discuss this with ladies all the time its pretty common but still do ask your doctor please goodluck
It does sound like gestational diabetes.  You don't have to be overweight to have it.  I was just diagnosed with it last week and now have to monitor my sugar levels and my mouth is always dry.  I did not have it with my first pregnancy, but did with my second.  Now I have it with my third.  You may want to watch and  drink sugar free things and have your doc check it.  They can do it was a one hour sugar test and then will move on to a three hour test.  If your doc does check you for it with the three hour test, you'll have to drink a full glass of orange stuff that tastes like an orange soda with a cup of sugar mixed into it.  I now am positive for the gd and have to monitor my sugars four times daily.  If I can't keep it under control with the diet they gave me, I'll have to do the insulin shots like I did the last time.

Just get your doc to check it out.  It could be the hormones, too, though.  Good luck.
1. First, count how much water you are drinking. It should be at least (for nonpregnant person) like 80 ounces a day (depnds how big you are). At least 1 1/2 times that for pregnant, even at beginning. That's a lot of water. Coffee/juice etc doesn't count. Propel doesn't either. Anything that has elements in it that have to be digested/filtered is liquid that is not solely going to hydrate you (and in some cases will dehydrate you). Caffeine is extremely dehydrating; soda pop is really bad for you too. If you fill a jar and drink only out of that you can subtract and see how much you are drinking. I am and have been really thirsty (15 weeks). YOu have to make a lot of new blood and have to filter lots more activity too. If you're way up over 120 ounces, then I'd worry.

2. I thought GD developed later in pregnancy, not first trimester.
Now in my 2nd tri, my thirst has calmed down a little bit but still I can't keep up, chapped lips, always kind of thirsty etc.

3. Ask doctor. Don't they test your urine at every visit for sugar spilling?

Good luck, now I'm thirsty writing about all this water!
Cut down on salt, chips and heavy seasonings.  My OB said preggers need 10 glasses of water a day instead of 8.
I asked my OB about this awhile ago too.  I didn't remember it being so extreme with my son either and was worried about gestational diabetes, but she assured me it was very common.  It's just your body's way of making sure you get enough fluid in while you are starting out, pulling it in for amniotic fluid, etc.  I was so worried too, I would even have to keep water on my nightstand because I would wake up several times in the night thirsty.  I would literally get sick if I didn't get water now.  It got better though and now has passed.  Just give your body the water it needs, congrats!
Im 8 weeks, cant stop drinking water, cant do solids yet so its all i seem to want. Milk, water and Clamato juice...weird. I had gestational diabetes with my first child 12 years ago.....how soon can you be tested for it? I seem to have extreme hunger too, but i cant eat because it makes me feel so sick. I dont throw up excessivly but i feel like throwing up all day. If i dont have something in my stomach I gag. Soup is a blessing....any suggestions ladies? whew, this second one sure isnt like the first time...
I'm going through this too.  I am drinking so much water but I don't seem to be running to the restroom like I was when I was about three weeks along, I am about six or seven now.  Good thing is I am not big on juices or sodas.  I can't wait to ask the doctor.  What's up with the extreme dizziness?
I have just found that I am about 5 weeks pregnant and have to say I am thirsty all the time. I find that milk helps me out when I feel queasy but have to say I havent got an appetite but know I need to eat.  Stodgy food is out the window for me and I am eating more protein and veg only because I dont like the feeling of eating dry stodgy food.
Yesterday I think I drank about 3 litres and have about half a litre to go to bed with, and yes there is of course the midnight dash to the toilet.
Good luck ladies!
I'm only ten weeks and I'm right with you all I do is drink bottled water sometimes 15 bottles a day I find my self more thirsty than hungry