Maternal & Child Community
FERTILE PERIOD AFTER M/C

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

FERTILE PERIOD AFTER M/C

My fist pregnancy ended ard.9 wks, had d/c at 11wks after seeing no heartbt on u/s. was SHOCKED. My post d/c info said some women have even gotten preg.before the next period even comes. I'm confused about what my body is doing right now. Do all the hormones leave my body from the previous preg? Is it safe to get preg so fast? Do I release another egg? Like most of you, I'm so worried about having to go thru this again, I can't even think of how I'll be at the first u/s the next time...
Sorry for your recent miscarriage I do know how devastating it can be I had one in 1992 Time does heal..Personally I waited 6 months my doctor said about 2-3 cycles but I wanted to wait to make sure my uterus and everything was back to  normal state (maybe sounds crazy)before trying again.
I never knew why the miscarriage happened but I wanted to never go through it again .. So I ate better, waited and took vitamins prior to the next time..Now I have three healthy kids
Good Luck to you
Its very painful emotionally and physically so take time for yourself ...Time does help
Also yes you can get pregnant immediately after a miscarriage and also right after giving birth.
I had a m/c last June. The pregnancy had ended at 9 weeks, but I didn't find out until week 12, then had a D & C. I waited one cycle (which was not until mid-Aug)and tried again. I found out I was pregnant the end of Sept. So, yes, there is a very good chance of getting pregnanct right after a m/c, but I would wait until at least one or 2 cycles before trying again. That way, you would know around the time you got pregnant and give your body a chance to heal.
I had a m/c in Feb (6 weeks), fortunately for me I did not have to have a d&c, however, my dr. told me it best to wait for 3 cycles b4 trying to conceive again.  After the 3 cycles we tried again (may) found out pg again, only to have a chemical pregancy.  I think my body just was not ready yet.  Have now waited another cycle and am currently trying.  I think everyones body is different, but I would wait for atleast 3 cycles, especially if you had a d&c - couldn't hurt and maybe your body will be better prepared next time like cinnamonheart said.  Good luck to you - I know the emotional pain is heavy right now, but it will get better.  Most of us have been through it and are doing pretty good now.
i had a miscarriage at 6 weeks, it was complete, i didnt need a d-n-c. dr. told me to wait a couple cycles but being the impatiant person i am i started trying right away. i did take a pregnancy test at the time of my period just so i would know the hormones from the miscarriage were out of my system, so when it came time to take another one i knew that it wasnt from the miscarriage.i did get pregnant again within 30 days. good luck
Yes you can get pregnant after a m/c even before you have a period.  I am nearly 10 weeks along after having just that happen.  

My doctor told me that since I was only about 6 weeks when I m/c'd, that I could begin trying again after my HCG was down to 0.  I m/c'd naturally, no D&C needed.  As soon as the nurse called to say my numbers were at zero and we could try again, we did.  Some doctors recommend waiting longer.  When you are still early on, you really don't have to wait.  The doctor said as long as we were ready to try again emotionally, then it would be fine.  

My only real problem was that we did not know how far along I was when we realized that I was in fact pregnant.  So the doctor did an ultrasound and at the time I was right at 6 weeks.  We also heard the heartbeat.  I will be 10 weeks on Sunday and so far so good.  

If you feel you are ready and your doctor says you can try again, then it is up to you.  IF you want to wait a few cycles, then by all means use some form of contraception.  According to what my doctor said and things I have read, you are very fertile a couple of weeks after a m/c.

For me, I have very irregular cycles, so it was easier to go ahead and try when there was a good chance of me ovulating.  And lo and behold, it worked.  There are a few other ladies on here who are pregnant right now that have also gotten pregnant right after a m/c, and as far as I know they are all doing fine.  

May God be with you whatever you decide.  It is really hard to loose a baby no matter how far along you are.

Best wishes to you!

Amanda
Hi everyone, I was reading the post about miscarriagies. I want to say I am sorry for you loss. I have heard that you could get pregnant right after a misscarriage, or even giving birth. I just know that my dr. told me after I gave birth to not do anything for 6 weeks.  I have never had a misscarriage, But I had an ablation done a year ago. The dr. told me that I could'nt carry a baby if I got pregnant, Well my husband and I hve taken all the precaution that we could, until several mths ago, we forgot. Well I am pregnant, and I am scared to death that I will loose my baby. At first I was in shock because I have already gotten 3 children, and I am 32 and didnt want anymore, but the more I thought about losing the baby, the more I stopped thinking about myself. I called the nurse at my OB and she said she thougth I could carry the baby. Well I made an appt with my OB dr. for next wednesday and they called me today and told me to get in there on monday. Even tho I found out last thrusday I was pregant, I believe I am as far along as 4 mths. Does anyone know about getting pregnant after having an Ablation of the lining of the uterus?

All the best to you
Deanna ***@****
THANK YOU so much! I was suprised how supportive it feels that you all took time to comment. Plus hearing everything from 'waiting' to 'getting pregnant quickly' helps me. I'm hopeful for sure. Emotionally I'm doing well, accepting the loss. I (roll my eyes) couldn't help myself and bought ovulation stix after getting what I feel is a period (and 4 weeks from baby's death). It says I'm ovulating now. Hmm...taking it lightly and will slowly begin trying (sex) when I feel ready physically (don't want any irritaion down there!). Anyway, I'd love to stay in touch and posted- thank you again for comments..you'll never know how helpful it's been!!!  Amy
T everyone who has recently sufferd a miscarriage my prayers go out to you. like most of you I miscarried also I was ten weeks along. And I was at work at the time I did'nt realize I was miscarrying until it was too late. I am as uncertain as the rest of you about conceiving right after a miscarriage and I am scared.

Having to wait so long for the cycle to return to normal is nerve wrecking also I am afraid that when I go to my doctor's visit next week I could alreday be pregnant.

Not that I wouldn't be happy just scared and I would want my body to heal sufficently before getting pregnant again.
I had a miscarriage at 16 weeks - we think that it is due to CVS that I had done - I am 39. Seems that most miscarriages happen at 1st trimester - is there anyone out there with similar m/c as mine? I had d/c done and still spotting - after 3 weeks. Sounds that for everyone else bleeding stopped rather quickly. Any idea when I may get my normal first period after d&c?
Thank you.
Hi everyone! First let me say that my heart goes out (what i have left of it) to everymother who has had to experience a childs death. Whether that child be 1 day or 1 year. I recently lost my Damion, at 21 weeks he was 14 oz and perfect in every way, only his little body was to small for this world and God knew his soul was to pure for this world. It was July 2 05 and so obviously very recent. My husband and I want to try agian, not to replace Damion, because that could never be done, but to give him a brother and sister. Any good ideas, on the best ovulation test? I have also heard that you can get pregnant easily the first 3 months, my doctor actually precribed me birth control for the first 3 months, but gave me the go ahead after my first cycle. Also my cycle has ALWAYS been abnormal...does having a baby regulate it?
Ok, to answer my own question above - just came from my OB  and I actually started my first period after not even 4 weeks from m/c and I am going to ovulate this period - so he said to go ahead with trying. So whoever else has this issue - most likely you are back in the game. Good luck to everyone.
My periods were always abnormal. when my husband and I met I was on birth control. After a while I quite taking it. and i never got pregnant after 5years. I then was thinking I couldn't get pregnant. four years ago I ended up getting pregnant.I did not know until I was almost 3months i guess because my periods were not normal. I was not expecting to get pregnant at all. We had a healthy baby boy who is now 4 years old and the joy of my life. How ever being the only child I was, I wanted my son to have a brother or sister. About a 1 1/2 years ago my husband and I started trying again. We had no luck. In November of 2004 my dotor put me on progesterone and clomid 50mg. Still no luck. Dec.04 samething but 100mg. Still no luck. Then in Jan.05 I went to the doctor and he siad I had pre-cancer cells on my cervic. In feb. 05 I had the procedure done to remove them. I then had to wait a while before trying. After having the proceedure done my periods were abnormal again. In June he put me back on the progesterone and 150mg of clomid. On July 13 I found out I was pregnant WOW was I happy. I was about 6 weeks. On the 19th I had a M/C. I was bleeding for about 9 days. then I stopped. I have had sex several time after that. Is there a chance I could get pregnant? Or do I need to wait until I start my period?
My name is Holly. I am 20 years old. I am planning on going off the pill (i have been on it for 3 years now) in November. I hope to get pregnant right away so I can give the news to my in-laws and my parents as an xmas gift. Do people usually have problems conceiving the first few months they go off the pill? How does it work? I also want to lose weight before I have a baby. As it is I am not comfortable in my skin. If anyone has suggestions or would like to chat, please email me at butterfly_baybee2005***@**** I will respond to everyone!
Also, will you only conceive on certain days of the month? I can use as much information as I can
Hi Ladies.  So sorry to read about your miscarriages.  I suffered our first loss last week (11 weeks - baby probably died around 9 weeks as scan at 8 weeks was perfect ...) and had a d&c.  I'm recovering well emotionally and physically - I've said goodbye to our angel and know he/she is safe in heaven - but I can't wait to be pregnant again.  I was getting so revved up about being pregnant for the second time (little Stevie is now 15 months old).  I'm feeling rather ripped-off by Mother Nature - what a *****.  I've been told to wait 2 weeks after d&c before intercourse.  I've started charting BBT again to see what my cycle is doing - I was like clockwork before this pregnancy so hopefully everything will be OK ASAP.  I turned 39 yesterday - so there's no time for waiting.

Holly - as this thread is for miscarriage/fertility discussion, you might need to look for a general discussion group on fertility.

Hoping and praying everyone is healing well, and looking forward to bright things in the near future.
My husband and I only had to try for one month using the opk to get pregnant. My miscarriage started July 8 and I ended up have a D & C on July 10, 2005. I bled for right at 2 weeks after the procedure. I have not had a period since then but we started trying again using the cpk anyways. According to the cpk I ovulated around August 11. I am very impatient so I have already taken a pregnancy test and it was negative. My hope is that I just took the pregnancy test too soon and that I might indeed be pregnant. I wish all of you the best in your quests to become pregnant and/or your pregnancy. Also any suggestions, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
This is the first time I have ever posted on a forum.  I had a D&C on July 15 (lost the baby at 6 weeks) and still have not had a period.   My doctor told me I can start trying again in 2-3 cycles.  As some of you I was anxious to start trying right away.  I had another Dr. tell me you can start trying after two weeks if you are emotionally ready. Is there a right or wrong answer?
We did start trying and I feel I might be pregnant again.  I am scared to take a test...I don't want to go thru what we went thru last month. Now I am scared we tried again so soon...what if I didn't give myself enough time to heal?
The one Dr. that told me we could start trying if we were emotionally ready is a fertility Dr. so I should trust her? She deals with patients loosing their baby everyday.
I think I am waiting to take the test because maybe if I don't find out I am pregnant I will be further along and won't have to worry for weeks to hear the hearbeat.
Well guess what I took a test last night and it was positive.  I am very scared...I do not want to go thru what we went thru last month.  
Is there anyone else out there that got pregnant two weeks after a D&C?
I can't give you alot of information- I had a m/c in Feb, then an ectopic last month.  But, post your questions on the more recent threads.  There are some people who have been through what you're dealing with right now.  I DO
Sorry hon- ever hit 'enter' when you meant to hit 'shift' ?  Anyway, what I was saying was- I DO know that you need to get back to your Dr's office- go to the fertility specialist that told you it was ok to start trying after 2 weeks.  I know you're scared, but if you wait too long to get medical attention, that could contribute to problems which might have been avoided.  Plus, you'll cause yourself to get too stressed.  Take care of yourself and your baby.
My last miscarriage was at 11 weeks. I ended up hemmoraging and had to go to the ER. I bled for over 4 weeks. After I quit bleeding I waited one full cycle which was about 32 days. I then started trying during the next cycle and got pregnant right after my period (very early for me). I usually ovulate on about day 20. Everything went just fine with that pregnancy and my little boy turned 1 this past May. I think the main reason they tell you to wait is for the emotional part of it.
Thanks for your responses.  I went to the Dr. on Friday and will get my HGC levels today to help determine how far along I am. I have read more and more about conceiving after a D&C they say your chances of miscarriage goes up only .5% which isn't too bad. Of course I don't want to increase my chances at all.  
I am also scared because I don't have the symptoms this time like I did last time.  I think I would feel better if I was really sick then I would feel like my baby was ok.
I recently had a miscarriage on June 29th,2005. It was a complete miscarriage so no D&C was needed. Took a pregnancy test 2 days ago and the results came back positive is it possible that there are still hormones in my body from the last pregnancy making the test results wrong?
Did you Dr do a follow-up exam after your mc? If you indeed had a complete mc, then the hcg levels come down fast- crashing down, really. Have you been ttc again? Sounds like it's time to make another appointment with your Dr.  Good luck!
hi! i had a mc i was 4weeks6days and it happened  on june 29.  now it is aug 29th and i am 9 days late. i had my reg. 27day cycle in july.(reg. before i got preg. the last time when i miscarried) i also had one on easter last year.  should i wate untill i am a full 14days late or should i test now? i like most, dont want to test and it come back pos. then start bleading right after and it beeing another mc.
hello guys, reading this stuff did help.  I had a miscarriage yesturday and I am still depressed as hell (6wks).  This really does suck.  Anyway, I was told to wait a couple months and I am feeling like I cant do that, but in the same respect, I am petrified of it happening again and then blaming myself for not waiting long enough?  I am 32-years-old and decided to get my doctorate degree in psychology first (child psychology-go figure), so I also worried that my age might have had an impact on this also.  I want to try again, but I am petrified to, especially if it goes longer than this and miscarry.  6-weeks was rough enough, I cant even imagine months going by and it happening.  Seeing all these people who got pregnant right away makes me want to jump in there and makes me feel something beside depression.  Any thoughts, support, or comments would be appreciated. Thanks again for your writings.  They got me through the day today.    -TINA
Hello all! Reading through this thread of messages last night was interesting. Sorry to all of you that have lost a little one. I am here with you with all the wild emotions you feel!

I have a 2 year old daughter that was born at 29 weeks at only 2 pounds 11 ounces. Last November I went into preterm labor again but was only 17 weeks so lost that baby. I just lost another pregnancy August 20th, I was 9 weeks this time so found it not to be as difficult to deal with emotionally as the 17 weeks loss, but it still sucks.

Last night I started to feel a little queezy. Anyway, right before bed I went the the washroom and had a lot of regular color discharge with pinkish/brown in it. I got freaking out wondering if this could be implantation since hubbie and I didn't use protection August 30th. I had planned on NOT trying until after my first period so now I'm a little worried that I might be pregnant but that my body may not be totally ready. I was curious this morning and did a pregnancy test to see if my hormone levels were down from the loss..... I see a very faint line. If any of you have any words of wisdom, share a similar situation or can help me in any way I'd LOVE to hear from you!!!!

Chantal :)
I Had a d and c on aug. 31.  I still have not had my period. I feel like i am pregnant again but have taken a test and it was negative. Could i still be and just have tested too early?
Maybe...I was told it takes 4-6 weeks to get period after D and C...however, I waited much longer.  You can get pg. though before you get your period.  You may still have HCG in your system and that might be why you still feel preg.
Hello everyone.  Sorry to hear what you guys are going through, but I'm comforted to see that you're all getting on with your lives and able to talk about things.  I'm not sure that I'm there yet - I still hate all the questions from friends, but mostly casual acquaintances!  I'm sure that everyone's trying to help, but I hate hearing from people about how they understand!  Here's my situation....  I had some bleeding and cramping, and went to the doctor, about 4 times.  During week 8, a heartbeat could no longer be found.  I had a D&C a few days after because there were no signs of the baby detaching.  My doctor and I agreed that it would be best to get it over with, especially since it was my first pregnancy and I didn't know what to expect.  The thing is, my D&C was 6 weeks ago, and other than some light cramping, I've had no signs of a period.  I've taken 4 pregnancy tests in the past 2 weeks, and I'm just clueless.  Do you think that it's too early, or that I'm just having a late start?  I'm really worried, because I want a baby so badly, and I hope everything's okay.  I don't want to be paranoid, but when should I call the doctor?
My name is Jill and I am going through the same emotions that you went through.  I am afraid that I will mc again because I am already ttc.( even though it is just 2 weeks after the dc.)  I just want to be pregnant, I want to get pregnant asap and I don't ever want to go through what I went through 2 weeks ago.  I am curious to know what has happened since you last posted your comment.  I felt a connection with you.  you were the only one that seemed to write what I was thinking.  So just let me know if things worked out.  My husband and I have already started ttc,  please let this be a good thing God?!!!!
i  went to the dr. in feb this year and my husband and i had been trying to concieve (conceive) for the last year with no sucess i found out that I had a fibroid tumor on my utserus and may be facing surgery after talking with my dr though the tumor was small and posed no threat to getting preg at this visit i was 9 days late so we took a test and had a faint possitive I was sent to the hospitol to do what i thought was just a blood test to confirm preg but ended up being one to test my levels of HCG my levels were tested several times and we found out that they were going up but not doubling like they were supposed to so at 8 weeks we took an u/s and found nothing but an empty bag the baby had already absorbed back into my uterus my doc suggested a d&C so i went the next mon to have one they could not get an iv due to dehidration so i was sent home with the abortion drug and was in pain for three days i am now feeling normal again for the first time in a month and go to make sure that my levels are at 0 tomorrow i am wanting to try again soon like everyone else but am scared to death to try again my other child just had his 8th bday so it has been quite a while since i have had to go through all of this  please help me with any sugestions to get over these fears
I have had a really hard time getting pregnant. My husband and I tried for over 14 months. When we found out we were pregnant for the first time we were so excited!  We found out that we were having a boy! At 24 weeks I had not felt him move for a full day.  I knew that something was wrong. We went to labor and delivery at the hospital and found out that our precious baby had died, possibly only the day before. I stayed in the hospital so that they could start labor.  I had to deliver our baby knowing that I would not here him cry when he was born. We Named him Breckin. My husband and I were very hesitant to start trying again. We did not want to feel like we were trying to replace Breckin. But after three months of pondering, we decided to start trying again.  We did not know if it was going to take us another year to get pregnant again. This was in March 2008.  We found out at the end of March that we were pregnant again!  We could not believe it happened so fast.  Because of the problems I had with my first pregnancy my doctor wanted an ultra sound done every week. When I went in for my 9 week ultrasound we found out that I had a m/c. We were devistated again.  We were grateful however that it happened early this time. Unfourtunatley we never found out what happened to either of them. Our first baby looked prefectly normal.  And he looked just like his daddy. We were told by our doctor that we should wait at least one cycle before trying again. I am really starting to get frustrated because I have not started my period and I had the d&C done almost six weeks ago. When I talked to my doctor she said that for some people it can take upto 8 weeks to have a cycle!  I am so impatient,  we really don't want to wait. Has anyone else had this problem after having a d&c?  Or did you all start your period at a normal time?  Oh, and my doctor is having me take a baby asprin everyday when we do start trying again. Once we have a positive pregnancy test she is going to take me off the asprin, and start me on Heprin shots twice a day in my stomach. I will also have to take pergestiron. I really believe that this will work for us. I have several family members that have lost babies the same way as I did (and all of them of been baby boys which is really odd). Anyway all of them had 100% success after taking these medications. So, if anyone is having the same problems I had, you should talk your doctor, and see if you can take something to keep you from having problems again.

I wish you all the best of luck. Trust me I know how hard it is to loose a baby.  And I would not wish this on my worst enemy. But if any of you believe in God, just know that he will take care of you.  And he will look after your child until you get to heaven. Ü

Brittany
We just mc on August 3rd.  We were 7 weeks.  On Friday we saw the heartbeat so this is so devestating.   Today we had a scan and found out all of the baby has not gone.  I have to decide wether or not to do a d&c.  Dr said it could take up to a month.  I do not think I can take up to a month of bleeding and so much horrible pain to go though it too long.  My husband and I wanted this baby so badley.  Our first pregnancy was 4 years ago and we have a beautiful daughter from that.  We are having a hard time.  My cervix is closed and the dr said it could take a long time without a d&c.  I am terrified of it all.  I do not know what to do.  Any advise?  We want to try as soon as we can.  Dr wants us to wait at least one cycle to see when I have a period and at least help with a due date.  I am scared and my husband says I will do what you want me to do.  No one I know has been through this.  
Thank you
Angela
i miscarried twins on April 9th.  I was 13 weeks along and doc says twins were only 7 or 8 weeks.  I had to have a d&c done on April 9th. I want twins again but would be happy with one of course.  Doctor told me we can start trying as soon as we are ready.  I have almost stopped bleeding, actually never really bled after d&c.  I am 36 years old and am anxious to conceive again.   Its not even been a week but I want to try again.
my heart goes out to you all...you guys stories is giving me hope..i just had a m/c @ 16 weeks and had to get a d&c done on feb 12th...i only bleed for about 5days...im so eager to start trying rite away b/c they say you are more fertile after a m/c...keep in mind i also have pcos...should i start trying rite away...
I had miscarriage(10weeks) onda 7th of december 2011 n dd womb scrub on da 8th n bleed lightly 4 5days,so I and my bf started 2 try again after a week n m afraid to take prg test n we want a baby so badly
I had miscarriage(10weeks) onda 7th of december 2011 n dd womb scrub on da 8th n bleed lightly 4 5days,so I and my bf started 2 try again after a week n m preg again bt nt sure hw long coz dnt knw hw my cycle s going!hvnt seen my period after m/c!!we so happy!!gudluk