Maternal & Child Community
Failed Induction

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Failed Induction

I was admitted to the hospital on Wednesday for a scheduled induction at 39 weeks pregnant. I was given cervidil gel on Wednesday untill Thursday morning and then they put me on Pitocin untill Friday afternoon. My cervix did not respond well to the treatments. When I went in the hospital, my cervix was not ripe at all and not dialated. After all of the treatments, I was 80% effaced and only 1 cm dialated. The doctors then gave me the choice of having an elective c-section, or going home to wait it out. I was so exhausted after having contractions for 3 days, that I chose to go home! The reason I scheduled it at 39 weeks is because the doctor told me that due to my back problems and my small size, I would probably end up having a c-section in the end, but if we tried to induce a little bit early and he would be slightly smaller than he would have been at my actual due date, I may be able to have him naturally. I thought that sounded like a good idea at the time because I was so sick of being pregnant and I wanted him out! But I just put myself through hard labor for nothing! Well, I guess it was'nt for nothing, because we found out that I have an unfavorable cervix and that the treatment that we did in the hospital helped my cervix to soften and open up so that maybe he will not get too big to deliver. They said that he would have come very late and I may have needed a c-section if he got too big. Has anyone else gone through anything like this? I just wanted to know how much longer I have untill he comes! I am anxious!
I too had the Cervidil and then Pitocin - and I got between 4 and 5 cm before the baby started stressing from contractions (and chord was around her neck) - so I had to have a C-section. But the Cervidil I went in Monday night and they started that, then started the Pit on Tues. morning. I labored until about 8 at night and my daughter was delivered via c-section around 9ish. LONG DAY!!!  And I was so disappointed to deliver via c-section....but whatever it takes for a healthy baby!  Good luck to you!!!
i have never had to be induced, but i wanted to add that a scheduled csection is not so bad.  due to gestational diabetes and large babies i had one with ds and will have another with this baby.  the reason we chose to not even try a vaginal delivery is because of what happened to the previous poster.  i do not want an emergency csection, it scares me.  since it was scheduled i was able to prepare myself physically and mentally for the surgery.  i have an awesome dr. who did a WONDERFUL job, and was able to return to work after 6 wks d/t a speedy recovery.  in my spinal they gave me a certain type of morphine that lasts 24 hrs so i had some tenderness/achiness, but no real pain until the next day, and they even kept that under good control.  i was able to bf ds within 2 hrs of the surgery and really felt well enough to enjoy him.
a friend of mine had an emergency csection d/t baby being in distress and she was miserable.  they didn't have time to give her the spinal so they just put her to sleep.  she did have the morphine pump afterwards, but from what she says it's not even comparable to the spinal.
not trying to scare you into deciding one way or the other, just want you to know your options from someone who's been there and made a different decision.  whatever you do good luck to you and your little one.
Inductions are no fun.  I was told it can take up to 3 days.  I lucked out, but was already in labor when I went in, contracting every 6 to 7 minutes and dialated to just under a 3 (I think the nurse said that just to make me mad, wouldn't call it a 3).  Anyway, It took me 2 days and I was in active labor (meaning 4 + for 38 hours).  My sis on the other hand failed her induction the first time, they sent her home after 1 day and had her come back a week later, she ended up making it to a 1 and then needing an emergency C-section.  Each person is different.  At least you made some pregress, you coud always go into labor on your own now, it happens after a failed induction.  If not, hopefully you have a great surgery and recovery.  I would not go through an induction again if I didn't have too.
I went in on a monday to be induced and my good friend went into labour monday morning same day as me after 3 days of trying to induce me but it failed that was due to gd I had the baby by c section on Friday my friend had 48 hours of labour and had c section she told me the c section wasnt that bad so I opted for 1 as I only got to 2cm dialated and found it good I have another c section in 3 weeks so I know what im in for its not that bad just the recovery takes a little longer.