Maternal & Child Community
Failure to Thrive 6 month old infant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Failure to Thrive 6 month old infant

My nephew is 6 months old and weighs less than 10lbs.  He gained weight slowly and recently lost 6 oz in 2 weeks.  His pediatrician is hesitant to send him for tests or a specialist.  Baby is listless, and not meeting gross motor milestones. He is breastfed, and is not able to support his head.  Obviously something is not right, and the doctor will not refer my sister to a specialist. His poop is very watery and he still poops 10-12 times a day.
You need to bring that baby to the ER that doesnt use that doctor the baby is seeing now.  The baby has to see another Pedi doctor right away since this doctor is doing anything about this situation. I can believe a baby six months old is only 10 lbs and he's not worried about it. Please do something about this it could be something with the intestines but you need to get tests done asap!    
I need to bump this up for you so you can get responses. I'm sure many women here would agree with what I've said to you.
I agree...Bring that baby to another Dr as quick as you can!!! That is not normal!!!
This baby needs to go to the hospital, I have a child that was at one point borderline failure to thrive, he was a 32 weeker preemie but weighed 16lb 12 oz at 6 months, this is really a very serious situation; this baby needs hospital treatment to stabilise his weight  and investigate into why he is seriously failing to thrive.
A baby who is 6 months old and weighs less than 10 pounds has to look like a skeleton.  There is something wrong with the whole situation.  

If for some reason you feel you can't work up the courage to tell the parents clearly and plainly to take the child to the ER, call CPS and tell them the urgency of the situation.  

This child could die.  Do something today.  The child needs someone to protect him.
Unbelievable!
I agree with all the other posters, this child is in great danger.  You and the family need to act NOW!!!  As Peek said, if you feel you can't tell the parents call CPS.  This is a childs life.
Poor little baby, he needs desperate help..  Please help him, he needs it badly.  :(
My old boss had just this situation,  and finally we all said if she doesn't take him to the ER we were going to call 911 and have the ambulance come get him.  Her doc was the same,  couldn't see the baby was dying.  Well,  the emergency room docs saw it!

He was starving to death,  which is what it sounds like your nephew is doing.  Sometimes,  the mother can't see it because she sees the baby everyday - and who knows what's wrong with her pediatrician.  

Do you live in a country with a health care system where she doesn't have any choices about her health care?

You need to fight for him - best wishes.
Everyone has great suggestions.  I hope something's being done now!
Where is the original poster?  I hope this is a fake post.
How Sad!!  Please help him TODAY!  DO NOT WAIT!  Can you imagine the guilt you will feel if this poor little baby passes away.  Do not put this baby throug anymore pain, PLEASE!!
If you do not do something to help this child, despite pissing your sister off, you will be to blame as well.  After losing my niece today, I only pray that this post is fake.  I can not understand why anybody would let a baby get that skinny without getting a second opinion a long time ago.

What the *^$& you thinking?  Sorry if I'm a little negative, but I would have called 911 a long time ago and not posted on a forum - even though these ladies are great and helped me through tons, you need to think a little harder.  This is common sense.
Thank-you.  My sister has put the baby on a new formula. And blood tests show that he has high white blood cell count showing an allergy... possibly to breastmilk or something mommy is eating.  Baby gained 6  ozs, but now has blood in his stool.  Doctor says this is normal when they go to formula.  Any advice
There is no way a physician would see a 6 month old baby who weighs less than 10 pounds and not put them immediately in the hospital.  Something is wrong here.

A 6 month old infant who is listless, not meeting milestones, can't even support his head, pooping 12 times a day, blood in the stools, and looks like a skeleton at less than 10 pounds...and the doctor won't put him in the hospital?  
If this is a true post, then the next step will be admitting the baby to the morgue, I guess.

I hope this is a fake post.  If it isn't, you need to do something right away!

i don't think blood in stool is normal. usually indicates an allergy/intolerance or some other problem.
Just call CPS and be done with the worrying - your pediatrician is a whack job.  Mine would never let my baby go that long to where he weighs hardly nothing.  Mine was worried the minute he quit gaining what his brother did and we went straight to the GI doctor and then to the feeding specialist.  

Call 911 or CPS please!!
it's probably not even her sister! it's probably her!
I hope medhelp investigates you and traces your posts and turns you into the police! how could you just sit back and see that baby dying and not do something about it! Heartless! why ask for advise about blood in the stool? the baby obviously needs to see an ER Doctor and not that quack pedi you have for the baby. It's probably a lie too! God help you if you are purposely doing this to that baby!  
I agree, a "normal" pediatrician would have caught the problem ages ago.  A baby weighs 10 lbs at like 3 months.  Mine weighed that at like birth but to let it go on that long and not do anything about it is mind blowing.  To then ask a question if blood in the stool is normal...well let's see, what would you think if it was blood in your stool.  Wouldn't you think that it was weird.  Unless this 6 month old suffers from Hemrroids, then I guess you can answer that yourself.  I really hope this is fake because if it isn't then this is just completely disgusting and I hope that child is taken from your "sister" and placed in a home where the parents care enough about this child to make sure he was healthy.
I have never heard of any baby having blood in their stool from formula, it just doesnt happen.  Your "sister" needs to switch to a new doctor and get that baby some real help. By the way, you're an idiot for not stepping in alot sooner, it's even not normal for a three month old to be 10 pounds let alone a six month old.
If this is a fake post, I hope you go to hell for making us all worry about this baby.
if she was bfing you wouldnt have said put on a new formula, would indicate there was an old one.  just another fake post..........not even a realistic one!   i suggest going to summer school to occupy your time
Either that or the sister is lying through her teeth to this poster and not seeing a doctor at all.  

Oh please please please please let this be a fake post.  Ugh.
I wish there was a way to find this person.
To all that replied.  
This is not a fake post and it is my nephew.  
I have 2 young children of my own.
I have confronted my sister many times, and so have other relatives.  
The Peditrician is an idiot I agree.  he has told my sister to keep on the formula, since the baby is gaining weight.He has also said that the blood in the stool could be becasue his stool is solidifying. I do not agree.
THe main reason for the post is to see if anyone had seen these symptoms before, and what the out come was. I know she needs to switch doctors... and should be sitting in ER right now!  Thanks!
If you are truly that concerned for the baby, you should contact your local child protective services, that is if your sister is not willing to take him to the ER, like NOW.  This baby is in GREAT DANGER.  He has been under weight for far too long that putting him on formula now is not going to make up for the lost time or nutrients he is lacking.  He needs much more than formula and a fruit cake Dr.
Nessa, why have you not answered then about calling CPS?  At least do that much for the poor baby before he dies.  Which he will if this goes on much longer.  And you will have stood by and done nothing but write to an anonymous medical website?

If you sister "won't do anything", the pediatrician isn't immediately hospitalizing the baby, then you have an obligation to "do something" or you will be partially responsible for the outcome.

Either you are SERIOUSLY misunderstanding what the situation is (have you seen the baby?  He will look like a living skeleton at that weight, he will be shocking to see) or you are deliberately standing by, doing nothing.  Those are the only 2 scenarios I see.

You are misunderstanding what's going on, or are guilty of doing nothing to help.

Or this is fake.  I'm willing to hold the phone on that one, but if you don't get on here and tell us you called CPS, I'm hopping on the bandwagon.  
When he dies, and he will, will you be able to live with that guilt?
If this is that serious and CPS has not been called or is not going to be called and this baby is at risk of death, has anyone reported this to MedHelp?
I think I hit the wrong button to report this but I definitely think MedHelp shoud do something.  They must have her contact information in order to create an account.  That could be fake as well though.  What can we do....I'm so upset about this post.
Please, give us some answers.
If you would like, please feel free to send me a pm.
Is there any way you could go to a phone booth, or to a neighbor's and anonymously call an ambulance to your sister's address?
Public Services will be obligated to send one out, and if you say it is for a welfare check for an infant, they will be bound to see the child.
That would take the "burden" from you.
Please give us some answers so that MedHelp does not become obligated to take action, which could possibly implicate you as well.
Please let us help.
K