MATERNAL & CHILD
COMMUNITY
Faint Line on Pregnancy Test?
by lajonez, Nov 14, 2006
Does anyone know what this means? There are definitely two lines there. One is faint though. I took a test jsut now (not my first pee of the morning either). I am supposed to have a blood test tomorrow. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Member Comments (19)
by stephd, Nov 14, 2006
sounds positive to me!!  CONGRATS AND GOOD LUCK!!  I hope your blood test confirms it!!
by specialteacher, Nov 14, 2006
My first test was very light, but it was still BFP.
by NEELI, Nov 14, 2006
mine was too light...but it was +ve..congratulations..i am in 7th week now..
by sarubers, Nov 14, 2006
Mine too! A line is a line!  :)
by who_dis, Nov 14, 2006
A line is a line, as long as you can rather easily see it and don't have to put it under a microscope, or squint really, really hard, or put it through all sorts of lighting to see it.

If you can glance at it and see it, it's positive.
by cantwait4baby, Nov 14, 2006
Even a faint line is positive - negative tests are blank.  Congrats!  Take another later on or in the am to reassure you - thats what I did my first one was faint and about two hours later I took another - different type of test and it came out bright +.  Yippi - sounds like you are having a baby.
by lajonez, Nov 14, 2006
Thank you for your replies! We are praying and crossing our fingers... I couldn't handle another ectopic pregancy this year. We've had 2 and are yet to have a successful pregnancy which is why I am so worried. We're hoping that THIRD TIME IS A CHARM!
by emma10, Nov 14, 2006
As long as the line develops during the 5 minute time period. Otherwise it can be an evaporation line which is the dried residue from the test. You can wait too long to read, or go get it out of trash, and then there's a line but they are usually evaps. Peeonastick.com has pictures of these.
by who_dis, Nov 14, 2006
No, even negative tests have a barely discernible line where the test reagent is.  By barely discernible, I mean you have to look under a very strong light to see it, or use a magnifying glass.  This is the strip were the hcg in the urine reacts.  Many, many ladies here have posted about seeing such a line, one even had her husband POAS and saw it.  When the urine crosses the chemical test line, it can show up very, very faintly, just from moisture.

We have women here who test God knows how many times a day, and practically use an electron microscope to try to see a line.  This does not sound like the case with this poster.  She sounds like she had a good line, easily seen.

A positive pregnancy test is a line (yes, even a faintish one)which can be seen with the naked eye, under normal lighting, at a normal distance.  It develops within the time frame of the test.  Anything else should be repeated in a few days time, after more of the HCG hormone is present in the urine to be detected.