Maternal & Child Community
Fertility question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Fertility question

I was just at my doc this morning and had some rather good news I guess. My husband and I have been trying for 3 months now and nothing so far. So my doc did an ultrasound and showed me that I have 2 egg folicles that are as he put it "huge". I'm only at day 10, so he said to make sure to "have relations" from day 12-16. which is fine. He said that I have to get my progesterone levels checked between day 22-26. Then if that doesn't work he wants to see both of us at the end of May to discuss taking Clomid. What is it and what kind of affects has anyone on it had?????? I guess it's just an extra boost!! But I'd like to here from some of you ladies that have taken it. Help!!
clomid is a fertility drug that does several things. it helps produce mature eggs, helps with luteal phase deffects, and it helps regulate your system.
i am kind of shocked that after only trying for three months that he would put you on it that fast. did you have any other tests done?
(i've been on clomid for 4 months now)

~nanci
I just saw that you have been on clomid for 4 months.  Are you taking anything with it?  I'm just curious.  How is it going for you?  Any side affects?  moodiness?  As you already know I'm considering going on it.  Do you take it day 5-10?  The weird thing is that according to my blood work, I ovalute every month.  Isn't clomid primarily to help you ovalute?  I know these are questions I should be asking my specialist, but he just seems to always be in such a hurry that i never think of them when he is in the room with me!!  UGH!
my doc had also put me on chlomid for 2 months and then we switched to Letrozole ..the reason being that u r more at chances of having multiple eggs with chlomid then letrozole. i was a bit nauseous with chlomid and sometimes blurry ,,but really it wasnot much ..i actually succeded in getting pregnant with both. unfortunately both the times had ,m/c. what comes to my mind is the doc is probably giving u fertility pill to increase ur chances of conception incase u release more than 1 egg.newys good luck and tc
I just have a quick question, all my life since starting menstruating at age 13, I was almost always late each month.
I am now 43, and for the last couple of years I have been almost like clock work.
My question is, each month on day 14 or so when ovulation is to be, I notice when wipe I see a thick, like the white of an egg, when first cracking an egg open.
does that mean ovulation is about to start, currently going on, or just passed?

Thanks,
Val.
Well I'm not sure why he's moving so quickly on the clomid, but I'm ok with it. As far as I know I have ovulated every month and things look good. he just feels that I need a little push.
It means you are getting ready to ovulate and are very fertile. Bed like crazy during that time if you are trying to get pregnant. Usually you have this a couple days before ovulation, some the day of ovulation, and possibley the day after. It is the best fluid for sperm to swim in. That advantage of it!!
does multiple eggs mean multiple pregnancies?  The literature he gave me said that clomid has a low % of causing multiple pregnancies.. which I already questioned because a girl at work had twins and was on clomid.
I know this isn't related to the posted topic, but... I have thought that I am pregnant for a couple of weeks, but the HPT was neg. I have been having a dark colored spotting for a few days and other symptoms such as a metallic taste in my mouth, crazy mood swings and sensitivity to the smell and taste of a lot of food. I am supposed to start my AF tomorrow, but there are no normal period symptoms. The nurse I talked to told me to wait, but it's driving me crazy! Are these normal preg. symptoms? Help!!!

Kimi
any fertility drug has an increased chance of multiples. clomid is low but i have heard that the other drug mentioned here (sorry don't remember the name) has an even lower chance than clomid.
i had a little bit of dizziness last month but that is really about it.

~nanci
clomid is a great drug when used responsibly.  it's my opinion that doctors prescribe it too freely.
i was on it for 3 months with a dr. who did not monitor me.  i wound up having a cyst and an ectopic pregnancy all within 5 months.
i switched doctors and my new doctor monitored me.  he gave me the HCG trigger shot on CD15, and VIOLA!! here I am 9 weeks pregnant!
if you are monitored your timing can be perfect.
MAKE SURE YOU ARE MONITORED!!!!!
Just want to say I totally agree with you that doctors hand out clomid way too much.  I have been on it for two months and want to get off because it made my lining so thin.  I ovulate on my own so not sure why I was put on it.  I did have an IUI both times so maybe they were hoping to increase my chances.  Just curious, did you use clomid with your second doctor?
yes.  my 2nd doctor put my on clomid at my request.  it's the only thing that makes me ovulate.  he's a good doctor though and monitored me starting on CD12.
i think women who ovulate on their own are put on clomid for two reasons:
progesterone issues
luteal phase defects

if you don't have hostile cervical mucous, i can't see why the Dr. would think an IUI would increase your chances.  in my opinion, if it's timed right with clomid, you chances are just as good. (and it's a lot less expensive!)
i would recommend the HCG trigger shot as well.  it helps build up your lining and progesterone levels.  mine was only $10 b/c insurance paid for it.
GOOD LUCK!
i was on clomid for 6 months, conceived, had an early m/c, then conceived again right away with no meds.  unfortunately that one ended in a m/c as well.  the only side effects i had from it was hot flashes at night.  my RE said that clomid does have a higher rate of m/c so this cycle i was on Femara with a low dose of injectables (Repronex).  (i had an IUI done today on day 14 so i'm keeping my fingers crossed that this new protocol worked!) the way it was explained to me was that you do have a somewhat increased risk of multiples being on fertility meds but since the rate of conception is 25% in any given cycle, having two eggs only slightly increases your chance of conception in general. this cycle i had 3 good size follicles and they told me i only have a 20% higher chance of twins and that's most likely from the injectable meds, not oral ones.  hope this helped.
jen
most of the  fertility drug posses the risk of having multiple pregnancies and clomid is one of them and yes that also means that u may or may not have more than one baby in ur cradle'-0
They could be symptoms of pregnancy but they also could not be........I didn't get the metallic taste in my mouth right away, actually I didn't get it until I was into my 3rd trimester.
As for the mood swings,.......could be you are getting ready to get AF or you are stressed.
Being sensitive to foods and smells was one of my first symptoms........that and sore breasts and nipples that wouldn't stop sticking out......
Everyone is different though.......
Hang in there and test when you are actually late, you have a better chance of an accurate result then.
Good Luck.
Hugs,
Vikki
Thanks for the advice. I have a doctor appt. tomorrow so hopefully I will know soon.