Maternal & Child Community
Fetal Heart Beat on Low Side of Normal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Fetal Heart Beat on Low Side of Normal

Hi there!
I am a mom of a 2 year old who has had 2 chemical pregnancies last fall.  I have spotted this cycle since 8dpo and am pregnant again.  Had an ultrasound done yesterday at exactly 6w0d - the fetal heart beat was only 106 so I am scheduled to have another ultrasound this Monday to see if it goes higher or....  What should I be thinking?  What are my chances?  I have just had 2 days without spotting (my first) and after the ultrasound the radiologist believes the spotting was just caused from implantation, etc so I believe my bigger worry is the heart rate.  I go between feeling like I have no pregnancy symptoms to thinking I have cramping to thinking I have tender boobs. This is such torture.  
It is torture, and sadly the only thing you can do is wait and see.  It is not unusual to have a low heart beat early in pregnancy, but I can't tell you much more besides that.  Did they do blood levels of pregnancy hormone?  That would be more help than the heart rate.

I, too, had a low heartrate my first ultrasound. It was only 80 (around 5w6d), however, a week later the heartbeat had elevated to 114 and one more week after that, it was 164. Hang in there. I know the wait is the hardest part.
Just wanted to thank you two so much for your replies.  Especially the hopeful one!!  My HCG have been going as expected - my 29 DPO was around 25000 and on 23 DPO it was 5300.  My doctor said that was fine although in my mind it should have been higher.  
Will keep waiting.
Here is another hopeful message for you ....

At 6wks exactly, they detected a heart rate in the 90s.  Ten days later, the heart rate was 147; two weeks after that, the heart rate was 160.  I am now 12 weeks and the fetus heart rate is still 160.  Not only have I spotted up until 10 weeks, but I have received a very positive outlook from my doctor's office (five doctors) on this pregnancy.  Stay hopeful.
I had an ultrasound done at 6 weeks and 4 days because I started cramping and bleeding really bad, the heart rate was 90 bpm.  I go back to the doctor tomorrow to check everything out, my HCG levels keep going up...but it's good to know that it could go up that fast.
Hi, I have been very worried lately because  the baby's HR has been under 120 for periods of time, expecially at night.  I rented a home doppler monitor months ago and use occasionally.  Yesterday I checked myself into L&D and the HR showed 100-118 for about 20 minutes.  At times the HR rose to  170's and  dropped down to the low 110's in seconds. I am so worried.  The nurse thought I was nuts to come in.  I am SO worried.