Fetal Heart Skipping beats
ni
I will be 33 weeks this Saturday.  I went to my drs apt and she noticed that my baby's heart was skipping a beat.  It has never happened in all of my visits until now.

I just got back from a level II US and the dr told me that it was the most commom type of arrhythmia among fetuses. He also said that the heart looked great. Has anyone ever known someone in the same position or know about this condition?  I guess the baby has early beats.  I also went for a non-stress test and the RN told me that in all of her years, she has see 100% worse.

I have the same thing wrong with my heart...thats how I found this site 4 years ago.  Any information would be great.

Thanks!

Gina
EDD 08/07/04
I have heard of it and that it is common.  If your doc isn't worried, then I wouldn't worry but I was confused by what you said regarding your nonstress test - what did you mean 100% worse?
ni
I asked the RN who was doing the non-stress test about the condition.  She said that she has seen it where the fetus' heart skipped beats worse than what was showing on my non-stress test.  What she could have meant by this was that the heart skipped more times a minute and irradically compared to my situation.
I've seen it several times.  Usually, upon birth it goes away.  Sometimes it persists for a while, but I can't remember ever seeing it turn out to be anything serious.

Your doctors will follow you closely though, for the rest of the pregnancy to be sure everything is going ok.  After birth, the pediatrician will examine the baby to be sure there isn't anything structurally wrong.

ni
Thank you very much for your input.  I had a level II done, a reg US, and non-stress test all within 247 hours....just hearing it skip beats tears me apart!  I actually have the same problem with my heart....so I know what it is actually happening..
It's not always the same thing that's wrong with an adult heart.  There are several different kinds of skipped beats.  

I'm sure your doctors will be and are following this closely. Many times fetal echocardiography can be done.  Hopefully, this will amount to be nothing but a distant worry when this little one is born.
ni
They already conducted the fetal echo- the level II US.  I guess the heart looked great other than seeing those skipped beats.
I am 28 weeks and the nurse pointed out the skipped beats. She said that it is common and it usually goes away after the baby takes his/her first breath. They will check the baby in a month to see if it's still skipping beats. If so, the baby will need to get an electrocardiogram.
I am glad that I'm not the only one. I'll do some research and try not to worry to much.
i too discovered that every 6th beat is missing from my babies heart beat and as i had a special scan only on monday looking at the heart due to the risjk of downs 1-7 i found this disturbing, nice to hear other people in the same situation but as i am comign up to the 1st birthday of my son that was stillborn last may 6th im more nervous than ever....
I just came back from my doctor's appt and we noticed that my baby is also skipping a heartbeat. I'm 19 weeks pregnant and recently had my level II ultrasound that didn’t show any structural problems with the baby's heart. My doctor insisted that we shouldn’t worry about it, but she wants to see me again to monitor the baby's heart.  So I’m trying not to worry too much.
30 wks sat an my baby heart skips a beat as well, am 2 scared, what caused this? it wasn't this way b4...