Maternal & Child Community
Fetal Heartbeat Monitor Detected Heartbeat but negative blood test

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I have a question concerning the blood test that determines what your hcg is when your pregnant.  I recently received a phone call from the OB/GYN doctor that said that I am not pregnant but all of my home pregnancy tests that I had taken came out positive and can also feel the heartbeating on my left side.  They said that in the fifth week that you should be able to feel the heart beating but none of my doctors said that isn't the case.  I do not know whom to believe now because I know I am pregnant because I have all of the usual symptoms of being pregnant.  Could it be that my hcg is just extremely low now and gradually increase later or am I not understanding all of it?  I need help and hope I can receive some answers about this because I have been doing a lot of research and just want to know.  I appreciate any advice anyone out there can give me because it is very upsetting to me because I have made a total fool out of myself now telling everyone that I might be pregnant?  HELP!!
Are you sure you are not just feeling your own heatbeat? I am not sure that you are able to feel the hearbeat I am 34 weeks and still dont feel a heart beat. I would maybe ask for another blood test if you are sure you are preggo. Good Luck!
You can never feel the hearbeat. Esp at 5 weeks. You may be feeling your own pulse.
In addition the blood HCG is very accurate and if that came back as neg then I am afraid you are not pregnant. The heartbeat can be heard through doppler but that is usually not until 10 weeks along or later for some women. You def would not be able to feel it though. Sorry you are going through this and unsure why a urine preg test would show positive.
The baby's heart begind to beat at 25 days post conception, but there is no way that you could feel it. The heart at this point is the size of a pencil lead. Even full term, you can't actually "feel" the baby's heart beat. A fetal doppler monitor will pick up the mother's heartbeatloud and strong, and you have to listen past that for the baby. Even still, you won't hear it on the doppler until 12-14 weeks. If you got positive hpt's then you at least were pregnant at he time you took them. You may have had an early miscarriage, or the Dr.'s office could have made a mistake. Ask for a vaginal ultrasound, and an hcg quant test. If these show nothing, you must assume that you had an early miscarriage. If so, I'm sorry, but it's estimated that 1 in 4 pregnancies actually ends in miscarriage, but most are too early to have been noticed.
From what i understand, you can SEE the heartbeat on an ultrasound as early as 5 weeks.  I've never heard of feeling the heartbeat.  From what i understand, the earliest you can even hear it with a doppler is around 10 weeks.  I'll have to agree with above posts and say that you may be feeling your own pulse.  Good luck, though.  Hopefully another blood test will have different results.
You can't usually see the heartbeat until 6 weeks at best on ultrasound, since the heart does not even start to beat until day 22-25 after conception, that is day 36-39 the way pregnancy is dated (i.e., from the 1st day of the last period) which is anywhere from 5 weeks 1 day to 5 weeks 4 days pregnant when the embryo's heart starts to beat.  So I agree that while the poster might just have been dealing with a doctor's office mistake on the blood test, I also think that she shouldn't expect to see a heartbeat on ultrasound yet.

I had an hCG count drawn on day 8 post conception, and it came up negative.  On day 11 post conception, my home pregnancy test came up positive.  It was right.  So the blood test was just too early.  This might be what happened to the poster too if her home tests were enough later than her blood test.

My suggestion is to go get tested again at the doctor's office.  By now either a blood test or a urine test would be accurate, and they are likely to believe their own test rather than a reported home test.  (It might also be a good idea not to say you can "feel the heartbeat" or they probably will just write you off.)
I just want to confirm that I had felt the heartbeat 25 days from my conception date so that was on June 30th.  I took a home pregnancy tests since then and all came back positive so I do not know what is going on it may have been just to early for a blood test.  That might be the case because they had said some of the blood tests are not as sensitive as a home pregnancy test.  I have an appointment with a high-risk obstetrician on the 8th of August so I will find out more than but in the meantime I might see another doctor for advice on what is happening because I am still experiencing all of the pregnancy systems.  If I were pregnant I would be either 8 weeks along or about 6 weeks, because of the doctor saying yesterday I was about 4-5 weeks.  I probably shouldn't have told the OB/GYN doctor that I had taken a home pregnancy test because that might have contributed to them wanting me to have a blood test.  In the meantime I am going to seek medical advice and continue on with testing at home or another clinic.  I hope to have this settled because it has been like a ping pong ball bouncing from one thing to another. Thank you for all of your advice and will keep you posted in the meantime best of luck to all of you!!!

When is the last time you took a home test? MAybe you ought too again?
When you say you "felt" the heartbeat, do you mean you heard it with a fetal doppler monitor?
Is this your 1st pregnancy?

I have 2 children, almost 3 and almost 1, been pregnant 4 other times, and I've NEVER felt the baby's heartbeat. I've never even heard of that. I've felt the baby's hiccups, practice breathing, every little movement, and I purchased my own dopplar heartbeat machine so I know where the baby's heart was.

At 5 weeks, you can sometimes see the heartbeat on an ultrasound, at 10-12 weeks you can hear it on a dopplar, but you can never feel it yourself.

How can you feel the heartbeat if you can't feel the baby, which isn't even moving around yet at this stage? It's most likely gas, or something going on with your body. What kind of hpt did you take? Certain ones have very very bad evaporation lines that look positive which might explain why your tests are positive and the dr's is negative.

You might want to show your doctor the positve hpt's and prove to him that you are pregnant and request an ultrsound since the bloodwork is negative.
I know she doesn't actually come out and say the heartbeat was detected with a monitor, I'm going to guess that's what she means, based on the title of her thread.
I have to say... you made me chuckle.
I don't get it, I don't know. And she hasn't posted since. In order for the heartbeat to be heard by the dopplar, like her subject line said, she'd have to be at least 10-12 weeks pregnant. That bloodwork would've most definitely come back positive unless there was some major error in the test. BUT being only 5 weeks pregnant, that little heart would hardly be beating.
Well, if she didn't mean hearing it on the doppler associated with a vaginal ultrasound at the doctor's, which could happen at about 6 weeks, I don't know what she does mean.  About a month or so ago, there was a peculiar posting from someone who was just sure she was pregnant before AF came because she could "see" the baby's heartbeat by the movement of her shirt when she was lying down. No matter how many posters wrote to tell her that this wasn't possible and it was probably just her pulse in her stomach that she was seeing, apparently it didn't make an impression.  I looked for that post yesterday to see who wrote it, but couldn't find it.  Some women get an idee fixe in their head, and that is it, no amount of talk will change it.  But if this woman is really talking just about having seen or heard it with the doppler at the doctor's office, she should say so, not so much to us but when she goes to the next doctor.  All of this "I can feel the baby's heartbeat" stuff will just make her look to the new doctor like one of those ladies with peculiar fixed ideas.  We can look crazy enough to our ob-gyn, the last thing she wants to do is seem cuckoo if she really has heard a heartbeat on a vaginal ultrasound's doppler.
Yeah, I think she is using the verb "felt" to mean "detected," not "felt" the way we say we 'felt' the baby move or felt our heart thump or whatever.  Sure caused a lot of confusion in this post, and I'll bet if she uses the same term when talking to the doctor, he will not credit what she is saying.
The really odd part of the story is that if a doctor did identify a heartbeat with doppler, and within the same time frame got the lab results back that showed no hCG count, you would THINK he would either repeat the ultrasound or repeat the blood test.  The two things together are so inconsistent that it doesn't make sense that a doc would leave such conflicting test info alone without re-checking.  I wonder if the poster heard something that she thought was a heartbeat and the doc didn't really identify it as such.  My home doppler measures my pulse, my tummy rumbles, and other sounds, which (without interpretation) might seem like a baby's heart.
I have sort of the same problem on tuesday (wait I cannot feel a heart beat)but on sunday I went to er with cramping and found out I was preg. I was not sure how far b/c i have irregular pds. The levels at the er was hcg 2110. So I left er few hours later and then on tuesday went to my reg ob and got a trans/ vaginal US. They saw the sac and it measured at 5w 1d. So they set me up to return on that same friday after i had blood work done. When I went in on friday they did another U/S vaginal and said they couldnt find the sac!!!! In 2 days it magically disappeared? and she said my hcg had dropped some from the day I was in ER. Any one ever heard of vanishing sac??? please help confused! :o(
Have heard of "vanishing twin syndrome" but not "vanishing sac syndrome."  If they are CERTAIN it is gone, I guess you have to count it as a miscarriage, but it sure is weird.  I'm so sorry you're going through this!  Will they check again with an ultrasound or have they just written this off?  It is very strange.
Certain no but I am having my levels checked again tomorrow at a different Dr.'s Office I hope it goes well.?!;o( :o)
Hi everyone,  Just an update

I just want to clarify what the OB/GYN told me when he had placed the Fetal Doppler on me he had heard the heart beating but I believe like you said that it was mine and not the baby's.  The OB/GYN doctor needs to get his facts straight and should have not told me congratulations when their was nothing there.  I think all of those home pregnancy results were all false positives because the lab work, ultrasound, and sonogram all turned up with nothing.  I went to see a Nurse Educator on Friday, July 28th, and this would make me 8 weeks and 4 days along and had some lab work and urinalysis done.  Then I went back to the doctor again on August 3rd, 2006 and they had done a sonogram and a urinalysis which came out to be negative also.  So what I am trying to say in layman's terms is I don't think I was actually pregnant from the start.  I just have been tossed around to so many doctors that it is taking an emotional toll and don't know whom to believe.  I do have another appointment on August 8th so I should know a lot more when I see the doctor and help to clarify the results.  

carman68
Hi everyone. Im 18 and Im getting kind of scared or nervous not sure which one, but from reading what the poster said way up there im not really sure what to believe and i am hoping that one of you can!
The last time I have intercourse was june 14, it is now Aug.16 I have not had my period thru the past months, but i have also been on strict diets, ive tooken ex-lax and other crazy stuff and have been juggling with my weight, and have been stressed and I thought that could have been a reason for no period. but over the past few days after notcing weird things from the ex-lax (which i have stopepd taking) i thought i could feel a heart beat in my stomach and i can still feel it, its there and kind of heavy in the beating not sureif it is mine. early on after my first missed weird i took a test came out neg. and a day before my first missed period i went to planned parent hood for a test and that came out neg. can some one shine some light on this please!
Hi, I remember when I was pregnant I thought I felt the pulse of my baby as well though the doctor confirmed that it definitely wasn't the heartbeat as that is impossible..but it was the baby moving around inside...if you are 8-10 weeks pregnant the baby will move but it will be too soon to fell the baby moving as it will be very small but if you touch your stomach you will feel what seems like a heartbeat but it is actually the baby...but if the blood tests came back negative then its definitely negative...you most likely had a miscarriage..
Hope this helps.
I know this is late, but I want to just make the issue clear for future reference. It is possible to have negative blood tests as well as urine tests and still be pregnant. I have read other message boards and the doctor told them that it was noway they were pregnant because all tests were negative. When they came back with an update they infact were. Sometimes a woman wont get a positive test until 4mths or so. Every womans body is different. Trust your bodies ladies. Dont brush it of because if you are in fact pregnant and you have not taken care of yourself the baby could suffer.